Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AC powerful enough for AZ summers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do questions like this even come up?...is there some bias that makes people think Tesla A/C doesn't work?
With Model X, the concern would be the Big Sky windshield and the larger cabin space in extreme conditions. Since the rear facing seats in Model S can be a problem in the heat, it does make sense to discuss the A/C quality of Model X.

Thankfully, Tesla Motors has included 4 additional air vents and a separate fan system for the 2nd row and rear seat passengers in Model X. The added air cooled front seats help as well.

With a headband "Liquid Metal Visor", even the sun isn't a problem. Tesla — Liquid Metal Visor

121 degrees here and its comfortable with Photosync tint. This will be your best invesentment to keep the car much cooler. With how hot it is, Im running the AC at 71 degrees and at fan speed 2

20160626_143559.jpg

Why do questions like this even come up? Have there been other cars by other manufacturers that didn't have A/C systems that would work in all areas? Do people ask this about others brands and cars? It's not a question I would ever ask, regardless of brand; the general assumption is that automotive A/C works.

I guess my question is -- and it's a serious question -- do people ask these kind of questions about other brands, or is there some bias that makes people think Tesla A/C doesn't work?
I don't know how widespread it is, but I have a general feeling that A/C is inadequate in the third row of most SUVs. To the point I was shocked yesterday when my son asked me to turn down the A/C - he was getting cold back in the third row (high 90s outside recently).

Reactions: ModelX
Why do questions like this even come up? Have there been other cars by other manufacturers that didn't have A/C systems that would work in all areas? Do people ask this about others brands and cars? It's not a question I would ever ask, regardless of brand; the general assumption is that automotive A/C works.

I guess my question is -- and it's a serious question -- do people ask these kind of questions about other brands, or is there some bias that makes people think Tesla A/C doesn't work?

I started this thread and here's why.. I live in AZ it's hot hot. Test drove a Model X and even the salesperson was not aware we were in range mode. The AZ blew so weakly it sucked. I discussed it with her, the best answer I received was that in a Tesla it doesn't have to blow harder than that, some kind of magic. I wasn't buying it. So I came here and got help. Thanks to all that helped. I later had the same salesperson bake one for me at 115 degrees and it passed when not in range mode, just barely, but it was def good enough. With a good ceramic-based heat-rejecting tint I think we can brave the hot AZ summers. After all this we placed an order for a MX 90D. TMC is a good resource overall imo.

Reactions: MarkoC and ModelX
Keep in mind unless you over-ride, the rear air is off when the seats are not occupied. In extremely hot weather as AZ summers at 100+ temps, you may want to manually turn on both the rear air. I don't notice here in Atlanta, since conventional air conditioning compressors are more efficient in high humidity areas even though the temps may be close to 100 some days during August. I noted in AZ and other dry climates, they tend to favor evaporation systems.

Reactions: X Fan