TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is AC powerful enough for AZ summers?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by 335eye, May 22, 2016.

1. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

With Model X, the concern would be the Big Sky windshield and the larger cabin space in extreme conditions. Since the rear facing seats in Model S can be a problem in the heat, it does make sense to discuss the A/C quality of Model X.

Thankfully, Tesla Motors has included 4 additional air vents and a separate fan system for the 2nd row and rear seat passengers in Model X. The added air cooled front seats help as well.

With a headband "Liquid Metal Visor", even the sun isn't a problem. Tesla — Liquid Metal Visor

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Most cars don't have a mostly-glass roof. it's not an issue, but it's unfamiliar to people.

3. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

121 degrees here and its comfortable with Photosync tint. This will be your best invesentment to keep the car much cooler. With how hot it is, Im running the AC at 71 degrees and at fan speed 2

20160626_143559.jpg

4. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

I don't know how widespread it is, but I have a general feeling that A/C is inadequate in the third row of most SUVs. To the point I was shocked yesterday when my son asked me to turn down the A/C - he was getting cold back in the third row (high 90s outside recently).

• Like x 1
  5. 335eye

335eye Member

I started this thread and here's why.. I live in AZ it's hot hot. Test drove a Model X and even the salesperson was not aware we were in range mode. The AZ blew so weakly it sucked. I discussed it with her, the best answer I received was that in a Tesla it doesn't have to blow harder than that, some kind of magic. I wasn't buying it. So I came here and got help. Thanks to all that helped. I later had the same salesperson bake one for me at 115 degrees and it passed when not in range mode, just barely, but it was def good enough. With a good ceramic-based heat-rejecting tint I think we can brave the hot AZ summers. After all this we placed an order for a MX 90D. TMC is a good resource overall imo.

• Like x 2
  6. XisLate

XisLate Member

It is 97 in Silicon Valley today, and I had the fan at 11 and it really didn't cut it compared to a Benz or a Lexus. I was really disappointed.

7. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Keep in mind unless you over-ride, the rear air is off when the seats are not occupied. In extremely hot weather as AZ summers at 100+ temps, you may want to manually turn on both the rear air. I don't notice here in Atlanta, since conventional air conditioning compressors are more efficient in high humidity areas even though the temps may be close to 100 some days during August. I noted in AZ and other dry climates, they tend to favor evaporation systems.

• Like x 1
  8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

Are you sure you don't have range mode on? It limits the AC.

9. Phil Seastrand

I concur with this. Here in the Sacramento valley we often see >100 degree days and my AC runs at 11 unless I force the rear AC to join the party. This does have a minimal effect on range, but do we really care? ;)