Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone getting a base model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, new member here...been reading a ton on this forum without a post to better educate myself about the Model 3 and Tesla in general. I must say I was following the Model 3 for months before it was released...I knew for months I would make the deposit first change I could.

I put a down payment in store on 3/31 for my Model 3, once I got out of work which was prob around 6pm EST. I couldn't have been more excited for a car to be announced!

Everything I read on here is making me rethink if I should get anything other than a base model. Seems like people have no issues paying $12,000 for a battery upgrade and a moon roof. I might be ok with <$5k in upgrades but anything more seems excessive to me for my driving circumstances.

I drive around 15,000 miles per year, mainly highway
Round trip to work is 65 miles
I currently park in the garage every night and would put a 240v plug in
My work is considering putting in car chargers now as a few people already drive Model S's and Prius plugins.
I rarely ever go on long trips and when I do we have a second car, SUV.

I went to preface this on a few other circumstances...I make plenty of money to afford this car, I own my house and have a great job. I just cant see myself spending $50k on ANY car. I've never spent more than $20k on a car (used and leased). Should I just consider getting a base model and love it? Do you think I would get significantly bumped on the wait list to where credits are no longer available? I wasn't relying on the tax circumstance, but I would say it encouraged me to put the refundable deposit down in store before online orders were available. I knew the timelines for the credits.

-Brian

Reactions: melindav
Base model for my family - except maybe the cold weather package (hoping the base roof will accept a rack)! We get around the city by bike so the car is just to leave the city on weekends or to take the family xc-skiing. It kills me how long we may have to wait though due to our lack of options.

The base price (whatever it may be in Canadian dolars) is a full order of magnitude more than I thought I would ever spend on a car (and > two orders of magnitude more than our current wee car)!

Since we don't yet know what options will be offered, let alone how much they would cost, I'm holding off making any decisions until Reveal 2 or whenever information on options are released by Tesla. I would go for autopilot and Supercharger as extras if they're not cost prohibitive. So, I'm willing to pay a bit more than base, but not for all the "cowbells".

Due to the Tax rebate going away when the volume ramps up, buying a well equipped model might actually save you money by giving you quicker delivery while the tax rebate is still available.

High line models will be delivered before the base models are produced.

Was the same way with S and X.

Reactions: MiamiNole
I'm still unsure about how many options I'm going to get, but if the canadian dollar crashes again I can only afford the base model. With current rates, the base model would be close to 55k in Canada (my province has no rebates)

I'm blown away with how many people claim they are ordering very option. I'm thinking that will easily double the price on the car.

So here's to hoping the base model range improves to 230 miles haha

I'm still unsure about how many options I'm going to get, but if the canadian dollar crashes again I can only afford the base model. With current rates, the base model would be close to 55k in Canada (my province has no rebates)

I'm blown away with how many people claim they are ordering very option. I'm thinking that will easily double the price on the car.

So here's to hoping the base model range improves to 230 miles haha
Actually with the current exchange rate it's closer to $45K for the base model.

Without part 2, it is so hard to say. It really depends on what kind of perks you get for higher models and how much it costs.

I will say I will get supercharging for sure, and even though currently I don't even use cruise control when driving, I am seriously considering autopilot because I think going forward it will be a big thing and seriously affect resale value (although if it can be activated after purchase then that changes things so much).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tes LA
...Should I just consider getting a base model and love it?...

Since you make good money, you can try out a barebone model to see if you like it.

If you don't, you'll just need to pay a little more in a trade in for a more optioned model.

The minimum that I would get is:

1) Maximum range: Gasoline car range is 500 miles, so I wouldn't be satisfied until it's a reality for EV.

2) AutoPilot: it's never careful enough.

3) Smart Air Suspension: Set it to "very high" once at a parking location and it'll remember that to prevent bumper accidents over those cement blocks or curbs.

Bigger battery and dual motor are the two main options I am planning on getting. Cold weather package is probably next in line. I have a while to save up and am hoping to put at least half down on the car. If I reach my goal of half down at the time of purchase I will look at more performance options. :)

Edit: Forgot to put Autopilot as one I will definitely be getting.

Might get Base Battery and RWD, to keep weight down.
Would consider a Performance RWD motor, if offered.
Worried about all the weight a Ludicrous build would add, with Big Heavy Batt & Front Motor.

Would still get:
Ultra Sound
HUD
Air Suspension
Upgraded Interior
Premium Package

Hoping thats enough to get me a delivery before full tax credit fades.

BTW - I am a big NO on AP.
I don't get the apeal of it.

I'm in the same boat as you and still going back and forth on a few options. Will most likely add the Dual Motor, Pano Roof along with the Auto-Pilot. The standard battery will suffice as my commute is only 16mi a day.

Based on your circumstances, I think you'll do just fine with the Base model.

I went to preface this on a few other circumstances...I make plenty of money to afford this car, I own my house and have a great job. I just cant see myself spending $50k on ANY car. I've never spent more than $20k on a car (used and leased). Should I just consider getting a base model and love it? Do you think I would get significantly bumped on the wait list to where credits are no longer available? I wasn't relying on the tax circumstance, but I would say it encouraged me to put the refundable deposit down in store before online orders were available. I knew the timelines for the credits.

-Brian

Last edited:
Also, if the car is anything like Model S (which it certainly will be), even base models come with a ton of stuff. I have very few options on my Model S and I am very happy with it. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the bigger battery, but that's the only thing I would change. If you count awd, options on my car totaled $11,000. Since we know awd will be less on a Model 3, that means probably low $40s for a Model 3 XXD with AP and a few other options. If you need more range or want more speed, that will likely get you in the $50s. Still a great deal considering that a base Model S is now over $70k.

Options I'll be wanting: all.

Options I'll be purchasing: very limited as I don't have the budget to get a +$50K car.

As many others I'm hoping the base model will include as many things as possible. Supercharging and AP hardware has been confirmed.

I think I'll go for AP activation and maybe cold weather pack, nothing else. Unless the "spacy control system" is not included in the base model, I want that first and foremost.

Don't want performance mods, don't need cold weather gear. 200 miles is enough range for the mission. Might choose a better quality interior option, but otherwise it's the base model for us. If the instrument panel question gets resolved.
Robin

Depends on how much I can afford at that time. I want to get the dual motors and that awesome roof, but I wouldn't have a problem spending more on a bigger battery depending on the 0-60 time. This ismy realistic dream car and my plan is to have this car for about 10 years, so I'm not afraid to invest money into it.