Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone interested in an Enhanced Autopilot Subscription?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, Tesla offers the ability to purchase Enhanced Autopilot for a one-time $6k payment and Full Self-Driving Capability for a one-time $12k payment. As an alternative, Tesla offers the ability to subscribe to Full Self-Driving Capability for $199/month. However, Tesla does not offer an Enhanced Autopilot subscription.

Would anyone be interested in the ability to subscribe to Enhanced Autopilot for ~$99/month?

As I'll be doing a great deal of highway driving and don't care for one-time software purchases, a subscription to Enhanced Autopilot at around $100/month price point is far more enticing. Is anyone else in this boat? Depending on interest, I'll be glad to write a formal request to Tesla.

Reactions: enemji
I don't think I'd bother turning it on even if it were free.

Of course it never occurred to me that commuting in Boston traffic with a manual transmission was a problem worth worrying about either, so I know I'm odd.

I do want actual FSD to be available, and will pay for it, by the time the kids come around to take the keys away (that clock is ticking).

Upvote 0
I have zero interest in EAP or FSD at their current prices. I also have no interest in a subscription. I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. Heck, I rarely use AutoPilot. As I've said many times before, autonomous driving technology is far off. In it's current form it's vaporware. Ever wonder why it's packaged with other features that are essentially parlor tricks? It's not ready for prime time and won't be for many years.

Reactions: CDennis100
Upvote 0
EAP is in essence "regular" FSD.

So, all of the FSD features that work most of the time are available with EAP, and the ones that don't work and never will on the current hardware are a dream that you can purchase for an extra $6,000. Since the FSD subscription is in essence an EAP subscription already, I don't see them lowering the price for the subscription.

Keith

Reactions: MYPWhisper
Upvote 0
I have zero interest in EAP or FSD at their current prices. I also have no interest in a subscription. I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. Heck, I rarely use AutoPilot. As I've said many times before, autonomous driving technology is far off. In it's current form it's vaporware. Ever wonder why it's packaged with other features that are essentially parlor tricks? It's not ready for prime time and won't be for many years.

Yup, until I can sit down in the passenger seat and order the car to take me to work, it is just a drivers aid and is worth a couple thousand at most, not $12,000 and rising each year.

There are people who purchased FSD back in the old school Model S with the expectation that they would have a robo-taxi within a year that are still waiting half a decade later... anyone in this thread think they will have "real" FSD 5 years from now? No way can they do it with the current hardware, so they will do the next system with better hardware, with 6 months to a year of re-learning the new hardware just to get it up to the level of the current hardware before it even starts to make advances... and if Elon sticks to his guns on vision only, then they will never achieve level 5.

In Short, I expect real level 5 around the time I retire (10+ years from now), and unless they get on the ball, Tesla will not be the company to introduce it to the market.

Keith

PS: I will be very happy to be proven wrong... but I don't think I have much to worry about.

PPS: If the FSD software purchase went to the purchaser, not the car I would seriously consider it... no way am I keeping a 10 year old car in hopes that someday it will be a robo-taxi, but I would purchase FSD if the FSD went with me when I trade in the old car on the new one... Oh, and this would encourage me to stick with Tesla rather than jumping ship to a different manufacturer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldn't pay for it. Now that we have green light notifications the ONLY feature I want is auto lane change. I'd pay no more than $2k for that. I'm not a subscription guy if I can avoid it and nothing else in EAP is worth a crap IMO.
I agree; I would pay $1,200 per year for EAP with a $99/month subscription option for FSD. Or just $2,400 per year for FSD.
That seems logical to me for those who frequently upgrade to newer models or lease their vehicles. The catch is that no hardware upgrades are included if you subscribe and the price may go higher on renewal.

up to $2.5K seems to be a reasonable one-time CC charge amount from the app. Anything else should be baked in with purchase (a $12K + tax mobile app purchase seems crazy to me).

Upvote 0
yeah - not going to happen.
As has been mentioned already. The FSD subscription only delivers the features of EAP anyway. None of the actual FSD features are available.
So that means the cost of EAP subscription is $200.
I'm guessing they will increase the cost of FSD subscription when they bring FSD out of limited beta, but they will leave EAP at $200.

Upvote 0
I paid $5K for EAP back in 2018 when I bought my car...it was more than I really thought it was worth, but I figured I'd roll it into the cost of the vehicle, and I really wanted the ability to be able to have the car change lanes automatically (on command, not NoA type automatically). This was really only useful to me on occasional road trips, so at the time a subscription that I could have enabled for one or two months out of the year would have made much more sense.

But what if I had to start all over today?

Well for one thing, for the level of functionality that I am really looking for, I think Tesla is going to be forced to offer for a lot less than $6K. That level of functionality is available (or will be soon) for much less from the competition. Tesla is at high risk of losing their reputation as a technology leader if they don't treat EAP-like functionality as an included feature (or at least very nominally priced).

But if forced to either pay a one-time fee or a subscription, I can tell you that knowing what I know today, I wouldn't go with either. There are just too many bugs in the system that haven't been fixed in the 4 years that I've owned my car, and no doubt they go back further than that. If Tesla cannot fix these basic issues in that amount of time, my faith that they ever will be able to is dwindling.

The two key bugs (and two functionality misses) are:
  • Phantom braking. I will say that I seem to have a lot less problem with PB than most. I just did an 1800 mile road trip and had less than 5 occurrences of PB on the entire trip. And 1 or 2 of them might even have been excusable, as I was coming over a "ridge" that was obscuring the road ahead, and the car slowed down. But even 3 or 4 hard braking events is too many and erodes trust in the system. These have to be once in 5-10,000 mile type events.
  • Errant lane centering on unmarked on-ramps. Some states (Virginia!) don't mark lane separators to the end of the merge lane, resulting in what appears to the car as an extremely wide lane that the car attempts to center itself in. Extremely annoying and even dangerous at times. My wife's ID4 does not behave like this. It essentially maintains its position along the left of the travel lane.
  • Extremely sluggish acceleration when passing. Sometimes when you are in the slow lane stuck behind traffic, you may need to pull into the fast lane and accelerate quickly back up to speed to merge into the fast lane, but the car takes FOREVER to accelerate. I'm not looking for a roller-coaster like acceleration here, but at least something more along the lines of what a real human would do.
  • Lack of acceleration as/after a car departs the current lane. The scenario is that you're stuck in the right lane behind a car that is slowing to exit. The car head is 90% out of the lane and the car continues to slow until the vehicle ahead is completely out of the lane ahead, well past what a human driver would wait before accelerating. I kind of get this one. At one point, the AI system only worked on one snapshot of video at a time, so based on that, it may not be clear whether the car is exit or entering, so it plays it cautious. But how long has it been since Tesla told us that they were incorporating time-based neural network processing that would be able to determine whether the car was moving into or out of the lane?
There may be one additional bug as well, but frankly I've gotten so sick of it I pretty much leave NoA off, and that is the propensity of NoA to pull into the passing lane at off-ramps.

These may not seem like huge things, but on a road trip, it really limits the usefulness (increases the annoyance level!) of EAP. Until they fix those, I'm afraid I don't think it's even worth the $99/month you propose. More like $25-30.

Upvote 0