Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD worth it $10k? ( Any insight from Beta users)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought it for both of my Teslas but I would not ever do it again. Especially with this news announcement about laying off 229 auto pilot employees. I’ve been hearing for years that FSD is almost here. I have no idea how close it really is and I don’t think I would trust anything they say about it now.
Those are just data labeling people and they were replaced by the computer/machine process.

I got the subscription recently and then got in the beta.

For a long road trip on highways it was amazing, in city driving was tolerable to laughably bad. It was fun and interesting to test it and see a glimpse of the future though.

A few examples of issues I ran into:

At intersections it would stop too soon and do the slowest creep I have ever seen.

Navigating to a destination it would make awkward choices, left turn coming up? I guess I'll change to the right hand lane first. Made a right turn from the left lane once too.

It seems too passive about lane changes, I'd like it to recognize other cars and adjust speed to get over, instead of just turning on the blinker and waiting for an opening.

Was making a left turn in the turn lane, waiting for green arrow when I suppose the car got tired of waiting? decided to get back into traffic for some reason.

A few times I think it got confused and just dropped out of self driving and I had to quickly make an adjustment.

There were some trips it worked fine, point A to B no issues, but who knows when the weird behavior will come out. I did try the different driving profiles to see if some worked better, but got similar results.

I've canceled it for now, but will use next time I do a road trip. The stress free driving over the long distance is so very nice, but until it gets major upgrades the city driving is silly to unsafe.

I paid 15K for FSD with my 2022 MYP. Love the car overall, but is FSD worth it? Not in it's current configuration. Every time there is a new update I will try it to see if there is any improvement, and sometimes in my area it works better and sometimes worse. I bought it in the (naive) hope that eventually it will work seamlessly. It is not close to that right now. I will say that Autopilot is fantastic for long trips on the highway. I would not buy FSD again until you can turn it on with zero worries or interventions-Full Self Driving:) I also worry that it might never work with the hardware on my car. If that was the case then probably Tesla would get sued big time unless they offered free hardware upgrades for people who bought FSD.