Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is glass roof noisy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the simple question, but I notice in my current car a significant difference in noise when I close the moonroof fabric cover in the cabin. Even though the moonroof is closed, if I open the slider panel, I can hear noticeable wind noise, particularly at speed. I am curious if there is more noise through the glass roof? Any S/X owners have experience with this?

This question has been on my mind too. My wife has a pano roof on her Ford Edge and we recently had to replace the front windshield. It must not have been shaped like the one from the showroom because it introduced a lot of noise that we never noticed before. I'm OCD and all I can think is thank god it's not my car. Which puts me to wondering about the model 3.

You can't compare an opening moonroof to one that is fixed. Obviously the moonroof that is capable of opening will always have some air creeping into places since it's capable of being opened. Which is why you notice more sound insulation when you move the cover back in place.
The fixed glass is just that, a fixed piece of glass. It's taking place of an entire sheet of metal. Meaning it has to be sealed exactly like its steel counterpart.
Differences are weight, and the ability to see through it as opposed to the steel one. Otherwise there shouldn't be any sort of air creeping in. If there is, it hasn't been installed properly.

Can't wait to fiddle with the online configurator for my region. Yes, I know alot of the details will remain the same, but there's always subtle differences depending on your country. And yes, I"ll be getting the fixed glass roof. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: insaneoctane
I expect road noise to be more noticeable as it is will all EV's. If I remember right a lot of people added sound proofing if various places to reduce this on the early Model S. The process is fairly easy if road noise does turn out to be an issue.

I have the all glass Model S in Houston and it's dark enough that I forget I have glass overhead. Minimal heat intrusion unless it has sat in the sun all day - then if you use pre-cooling, it's still a non-issue.

As for noise, more comes from the side doors/windows and not the top of the car and then only at 65 mph and above.

I suspect the M3 will be the same.

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
Given the number of 3's expected to be delivered, I would guess that there will be aftermarket sunshade solutions for both the front and rear passenger positions.
Like this?
03DriverShaded.jpg

Reactions: tracksyde