Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it not clear you can't park here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ICEed .jpg

Unfortunately some Tesla Supercharger stalls are signed for EV preferred but general use otherwise. I can't say if this is the case here but if there isn't any clear, explicit signage saying something like "charging only", then there's not much you can (legally/morally) do. If the stall is signed for exclusive charging and, depending upon local ordinances, you may be able to call the non-emergency police line and say that there's someone violating a parking rule. Not sure if this will prompt the local LEOs to do their jobs but

Were it me, I'd leave one (or more) of the business cards I had printed a couple of years ago:

That looks like a poor location for a supercharger because that’s prime parking in what looks like a very busy shopping center, so this was bound to happen.

It’s the fault of the site host to not have signage saying you will be towed if not actively charging.

I did some quick internet snooping, and this one is kinda bizarre...

Per Google Maps / PlugShare / Yelp photos, as recently as last October there were parking signs at each parking spot. Half of the signs said "TESLA Vehicle Charging Only" and the other half said "TESLA 15 Minute General Parking".

1707971045466.png

1707971153916.png

1707971088786.png

But more recent photos, including all of the ones in the Reddit post, show no parking signs at all. So apparently the parking signs were removed completely. (WTF?)

1707971276583.png

1707971311737.png

One guy posted in the Reddit thread: "They seem to actually be removing the signs completely from many locations. They started doing this just before the cyber truck came out. They are taking the poles right out."

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I did some quick internet snooping, and this one is kinda bizarre...

Per Google Maps / PlugShare / Yelp photos, as recently as last October there were parking signs at each parking spot. Half of the signs said "TESLA Vehicle Charging Only" and the other half said "TESLA 15 Minute General Parking".

View attachment 1018470

View attachment 1018472

View attachment 1018471

But more recent photos, including all of the ones in the Reddit post, show no parking signs at all. So apparently the parking signs were removed completely. (WTF?)

View attachment 1018473
View attachment 1018474

One guy posted in the Reddit thread: "They seem to actually be removing the signs completely from many locations. They started doing this just before the cyber truck came out. They are taking the poles right out."
Interesting. Perhaps getting ready for third party EV charging? But they should have changed the sign for EV charging only instead of taking it out completely.

Perhaps it’s just for that location since parking maybe otherwise constrained and people were complaining about all the charging spots not being full.

Reactions: jsmay311
A quick internet search concerning Florida law finds this:

Section (3)(a) states: "It is unlawful for a person to stop, stand, or park a vehicle that is not capable of using an electrical recharging station within any parking space specifically designated for charging an electric vehicle."

Since there's no signage (currently, apparently) stating that those spots are specifically designated for charging (although any reasonable person could surmise this from the giant TESLA stands at the end of the space), this may be a way to nullify state law. Also note that there's no stipulation of public vs. private property, at least that I could find. A mall parking lot in Florida is considered private property. For police to issue traffic citations on private property, the mall owners must have a written agreement with them. So another way to circumvent the law if that hasn't been done.

Here is my theory. Parking spots are of high value in some areas. This seems to be one of those high value areas for parking. If they removed the signs the property manager/owner probably wanted Tesla to pay (or pay more) for the spots and Tesla refused and rather removed the signs. I can totally see the property manager take advantage of this and charge Tesla way more once the initial contract is up for negotiation again.

In the end property managers do not care at all about EV charging. All they care about is as many customers as they can make fit.

The bollards and parking signs were removed so vehicles with less than ideal charge port locations (CT and every other manufacturer) can back up or pull in even closer to get the short cables to reach. And saying Tesla only won't work with the sites being opened up to all other makes.