Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to find a LR under $40,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think it makes any sense to buy a used Model 3 given current market conditions. I would rather buy a new Model 3 and not buy FSD. Go with white paint, black interior, 18” wheels. You will get much better value there than anything in the used market.

idk.. FSD was a pretty big selling point for me. And honestly i'm not interested on throwing away thousands of dollars on sales tax. I did that once with my 2014, don't care to do it again. 44k is the absolute highest I can go.

idk.. FSD was a pretty big selling point for me. And honestly i'm not interested on throwing away thousands of dollars on sales tax. I did that once with my 2014, don't care to do it again. 44k is the absolute highest I can go.

I can’t speak to your budgetary requirements but at $44K you will get a used LR RWD car with a lot of miles on it and an expiring warranty. At $48,990 you get a brand new LR AWD car with full warranty. You can always add FSD later but you may find that it’s mostly hype right now anyway. You still get autopilot included in the price so all you give up is summon, navigate on autopilot, and lane change...And maybe some day city driving if that ever happens.

If you are financing you will get a lower interest rate on new vs. used. Just another reason to get a new Model 3 over used in your case.
I was in a similar situation was not expecting to need a car so soon when my 2015 Acura SUV out of warranty started having costly problems.

So glad to have no catalytic converter, no timing belt, no transmission, etc,.. not to mention the time saved not stopping at the gas station, getting oil changes, etc...
Other than more frequent tire changes the cost to maintain a Telsa is barely anything.

What Tesla has done in such a short time is remarkable and the sales numbers for the Model 3 are very impressive. Most buyers in the US cannot just buy a car anytime cause they like it, they wait until their car has an issue or reaches a certain number of years/miles before acting. When you consider that I think sales are going to continue to increase for Tesla as more would be mainstream buyers come into the fold.

You mention sales tax? Does your state treat new cars and used cars differently as far as sales tax?
In my state MA it does not matter, the sales tax is the same though the yearly use/excise tax from the town does factor in model year.

As far as value are you aware of the current FSD offering compared to basic AP that is included?
It is just a few gimmicks you are paying $7K for, maybe it will become something great but that is a gamble you are taking.

Last edited:
FSD is cool but currently even an EAP car is going to give you 99% the same functionality currently available.

I really wish you best of luck on your search but with the current market beggars can’t be choosers. You’ll need to move your budget up or lower your expectations and most importantly be willing to travel for the deal

Reactions: 1LE McQueen
FSD would be a long-term plan which I hope would help keep some value in the future for M3. Now's the best time to get it when we don't know what it's going to be about IMO.

As far as I know, there isn't a used car sales tax. Then again it's been 6 years. Contacting the bank is on my to-do list. I got a glimpse of hope with that 41k AWD that left autotrader within a day or two. I'll be looking 3 - 4 times a day everyday for the next month or two and report back if something incredible pops up.

I'm imagining, at the very lowest, i'll have 18k to put down. 20 - 21 if i'm lucky. my monthly payments stay around the same at 4% APR if i loan up to 44k (considering 18k down). I really don't want to go up on my payments, regardless of what i'll save with an M3 overtime.

I appreciate all your help and for the good luck wishes. I'll be sure to stay up to date, and report back, in the next couple of days or weeks.

FSD would be a long-term plan which I hope would help keep some value in the future for M3. Now's the best time to get it when we don't know what it's going to be about IMO.

As far as I know, there isn't a used car sales tax. Then again it's been 6 years. Contacting the bank is on my to-do list. I got a glimpse of hope with that 41k AWD that left autotrader within a day or two. I'll be looking 3 - 4 times a day everyday for the next month or two and report back if something incredible pops up.

I'm imagining, at the very lowest, i'll have 18k to put down. 20 - 21 if i'm lucky. my monthly payments stay around the same at 4% APR if i loan up to 44k (considering 18k down). I really don't want to go up on my payments, regardless of what i'll save with an M3 overtime.

I appreciate all your help and for the good luck wishes. I'll be sure to stay up to date, and report back, in the next couple of days or weeks.

Look for a car with EAP. Lower cost to upgrade later to FSD than having to buy it without EAP, and currently not much advantage to have FSD (over having EAP).

Wow. Alright folks I happened to be by a Tesla store tonight and decided to test drive the standard range RWD. I'm more than surprised at the power and torque. Off the line it was a tiny bit hesitant (maybe that was the auto hold?) but on a roll that thing is no joke. Felt just like an AWD on the inside.

Buying new won't cut it. Taxes are too high, they don't have anything in stock, and the best I can do is a standard without FSD. I'll open myself up more to RWD LR's on the market.

Sales guy said not to buy used because X Y Z. I guess there's no extended warranty option for buying used. Can anyone throw in their two cents? Is there a difference? Other than the usual wear / tear of course.

Wow. Alright folks I happened to be by a Tesla store tonight and decided to test drive the standard range RWD. I'm more than surprised at the power and torque. Off the line it was a tiny bit hesitant (maybe that was the auto hold?) but on a roll that thing is no joke. Felt just like an AWD on the inside.

Buying new won't cut it. Taxes are too high, they don't have anything in stock, and the best I can do is a standard without FSD. I'll open myself up more to RWD LR's on the market.

Sales guy said not to buy used because X Y Z. I guess there's no extended warranty option for buying used. Can anyone throw in their two cents? Is there a difference? Other than the usual wear / tear of course.

Can you explain this tax thing? Are you saying a used car is not subject to sales tax in Arizona? I’ve never heard of that before. That is certainly not the case in California.

Because they want a new sale...

• Informative
Reactions: 1LE McQueen
Can you explain this tax thing? Are you saying a used car is not subject to sales tax in Arizona? I’ve never heard of that before. That is certainly not the case in California.

Sure. Private party to private party isn't susceptible to sales tax, as far as I'm aware. Certified pre-owned from a dealer would be, however.

Everythinggggg in CA is taxed :p

Sure. Private party to private party isn't taxed, as far as I'm aware. Certified pre-owned from a dealer would be, however.

OK, so that narrows your search even further. You can’t buy a used Model 3 from either Tesla or an independent auto shop. That’s a really narrow market. Are there any incentives from either your state or utility company for either new or used?

I honestly haven’t heard much about whether they are or aren’t but everyone needs some motivation past the job.

Also: Seriously? Here in Texas you can sell a car 10 times and every time the sales tax will be due.

No one tell my boss lolol.

I could be wrong but I don't ever recall paying any taxes on my used vehicle purchases - even through registration. It's part of the reason why I tend to avoid dealers. Buying the Camaro new was a mistake.

OK, so that narrows your search even further. You can’t buy a used Model 3 from either Tesla or an independent auto shop. That’s a really narrow market. Are there any incentives from either your state or utility company for either new or used?

Yup and the private party market is the one i've been following. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 new cars post in the last couple of days. They're out there, it'll just take some patience. It really helps now that I know I don't have to get an AWD to feel the performance.

I don't know about the local incentives. Other then low registration costs, I don't think there is. I payed 400 last year for 1 year.

I could be wrong but I don't ever recall paying any taxes on my used vehicle purchases - even through registration. It's part of the reason why I tend to avoid dealers. Buying the Camaro new was a mistake.

Yup and the private party market is the one i've been following. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 new cars post in the last couple of days. They're out there, it'll just take some patience. It really helps now that I know I don't have to get an AWD to feel the performance.

I don't know about the local incentives. Other then low registration costs, I don't think there is. I payed 400 last year for 1 year.

If I was a dealer or independent used car dealership it would seem like a huge conflict if all of the cars on my lot were taxable but anyone who wants to sell their car privately can sell it for less by avoiding the sales tax (not to mention the sales commissions, overhead, etc). That’s a really odd law.

So I've been looking hard for a couple of days and I believe I have a better understanding of what's selling and what isn't.

A gentlemen in CA had a black AWD M3 with FSD for $41,000, the ad was removed within 2 days. I didn't have the experience nor know-how to jump on this when I really should have. Don't remember what the mileage was.

There's a clown with a 2018 white M3, 77k miles mid range with EAP asking for $55,000. Good luck to you pal.

Most cars I see are between lower to mid $40's with decent options - mainly EAP or FSD, decent mileage (under 20,000 usually) but RWD LR. They haven't sold in the time i've been looking. That being said, i'm a bit more confident now that I could find a AWD with FSD for under 44,000 so this is what i'm aiming for and i'm ready to jump on it immediately. I'm looking within 500 miles on Autotrader, Cars, and Craigslist.

Good luck with this. I haven’t seen many AWDs for under 46K. Let alone with FSD. I’m hoping to find a LR RWD with low miles in the low 40s.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Sure. Private party to private party isn't susceptible to sales tax, as far as I'm aware. Certified pre-owned from a dealer would be, however.

I can’t speak for AZ, but here in NJ, when you transfer title, the bill of sale either needs to be attached, or the sale price needs to be documented. If it’s off from what the state thinks the car is worth, you’ll get a letter in the mail and a sales tax due bill - it’s up to you to prove you paid a different price. Paid cash without a bill of sale? Too bad, so sad, pay the piper.

all of this is moot for Tesla though, as all EVs (used and new) are sales tax exempt in NJ!

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
I can’t speak for AZ, but here in NJ, when you transfer title, the bill of sale either needs to be attached, or the sale price needs to be documented. If it’s off from what the state thinks the car is worth, you’ll get a letter in the mail and a sales tax due bill - it’s up to you to prove you paid a different price. Paid cash without a bill of sale? Too bad, so sad, pay the piper.

all of this is moot for Tesla though, as all EVs (used and new) are sales tax exempt in NJ!

A simple Google search yields the amazing fact that private car purchase transactions in Arizona aren't subject to sales tax.

Source: AZDOV

A quick internet search shows that "private party transactions in Arizona are not subject to vehicle tax".

That being said, there is no way in $%!$!$% I would do a private party transaction on a car for 40k, just to save on some tax. OPs risk tolerance is WAAY high.