Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to find a LR under $40,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either the RWD LR or the AWD LR.. I've been looking through Autotrader - Cars - Edmunds - Craigslist - KBB, all throughout the states, and I can't seem to find a (clean title, fair mileage) M3 cheaper than $40,000.

Any advice would be appreciated. Should I wait another year or two? I was hoping to find a LR M3 with FSD, which I understand is completely unrealistic, for under or around 40k.. But, really, a LR for under 40 would be nice.

What have you all seen so far? What're the better sites to use to find a good priced M3?

I suggest patience. I expect that when the Model Y hits the market the number of used Model 3s available will be much larger.

There will be more Model 3’s on the used market as time goes by. They haven't been out that long. What are you going to sell or trade one for? Another car that is the same? Yes, Model Y production will have people trading to new vehicles. By then, there will be old enough vehicles out there to trade from too.

It’s an odd situation in general as unless someone wears down a Model 3, it still is just a slightly worn version of the new. A few more scratches and blotches as any used car, but mechanically it is almost as good as new. Can’t say that about a 3 year old BMW 3 series. They will depreciate a lot in 3 years relative to a tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Model 3s prior to early 2019 were sold with 2 AP options: Enhanced Autopilot and FSD. Enhanced autopilot is currently equivalent to today's FSD as no FSD exclusive features have come out. So, Summon, navigate on AP, Autopark, etc. To buy FSD the car had to have EAP.

Any car with the FSD option will be getting their autopilot computer upgraded. Once that happens and "real" features come out that aren't included in Enhanced AP, the prices on those models may go down. EAP only cars wont get the chip upgrade without buying the FSD package

Thank you! I've held onto my 1LE for close to 6 years, when I get my M3 i'm in it for the long run. I'll be very patient to get that FSD.

I suggest patience. I expect that when the Model Y hits the market the number of used Model 3s available will be much larger.

Yes sir i'm ready to actively look even throughout the Summer time. I know that what i'm asking for is a lot, but I don't think it's impossible. Heck someone in another part of this forum is selling a 30k mile AWD with FSD for 47,000. I can push to 43 - 44 and maybe in a little while i'll find more like this.

A number of months ago I asked a Tesla rep about how the Model Y would effect the Model 3's. He said the M-Y is targeting a different market, and he predicts it wouldn't have any effect on the M3's. We weren't exclusively talking about the used car market, but I suppose time will tell.

There will be more Model 3’s on the used market as time goes by. They haven't been out that long. What are you going to sell or trade one for? Another car that is the same? Yes, Model Y production will have people trading to new vehicles. By then, there will be old enough vehicles out there to trade from too.

It’s an odd situation in general as unless someone wears down a Model 3, it still is just a slightly worn version of the new. A few more scratches and blotches as any used car, but mechanically it is almost as good as new. Can’t say that about a 3 year old BMW 3 series. They will depreciate a lot in 3 years relative to a tesla.

Everyone I've known who's owned a BMW, ends up paying beaucoup bucks to fix expensive things that break that shouldn't break. How is the general maintenance for a AWD M3? Are tires / battery coolant flushes expensive? Are there any common issues with any motors (ex. window, power seats, fans, etc)?

Sedans and SUVs are two distinct markets. People who are looking for an SUV would not normally make the choice to instead buy a sedan. The only reason people talk about the impact on Model 3 sales after the Model Y comes out is because there is presumably a segment of the market that wants an EV first, and an SUV second. So they went with a Model 3 sedan because it was the only mid priced Tesla available but will look to switch to a Model Y when it becomes available.

I'm not sure how big that market segment really is though. I know a lot of people who only want an SUV and have held off buying a Tesla while they wait for Model Y.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Sedans and SUVs are two distinct markets. People who are looking for an SUV would not normally make the choice to instead buy a sedan. The only reason people talk about the impact on Model 3 sales after the Model Y comes out is because there is presumably a segment of the market that wants an EV first, and an SUV second. So they went with a Model 3 sedan because it was the only mid priced Tesla available but will look to switch to a Model Y when it becomes available.

I'm not sure how big that market segment really is though. I know a lot of people who only want an SUV and have held off buying a Tesla while they wait for Model Y.

I really am not sure what people want. The statistics say crossovers - and that fits a Model Y. Personally I prefer sedans. Then again I am older (past 65) and have no kids to think about. I like a fast car, and the stats on the Model Y are really a compromise with the Model 3. If you want to give up range and speed for kids - well - you have to.

The Model Y will be a great crossover - especially with the heavy battery on the floor giving a low center of gravity. I'd love to see if there is much performance loss over a Model 3. Might be a while before anyone can test drive one.

If I had a lot of kids - well - a big SUV would be OK - like a Model X. A crossover like a Model Y might be on the small side. I guess I'd have to see one to know.

well - a big SUV would be OK - like a Model X. A crossover like a Model Y might be on the small side. I guess I'd have to see one to know.

This is entirely our problem. Our Model 3 is perfect as a 2nd vehicle, but our “family” vehicle is a Buick Enclave. It’s big, roomy, drives very nicely, and loaded with technology (for a traditional ICE car, anyway.)

That said — we want to go all-EV. I’ve looked at an X, but not a fan of the FWDs. It feels backwards compared to Model 3 in a bunch of ways, too. (Older battery, display, etc.)

So that pushes me towards Model Y, but it’s just too darned small. Going from the Enclave - which is just cavernous - to a taller Model 3 just isn’t going to work.

What I’m really looking for is something akin to the Rivian R1S. If only Tesla made a model X a little less of a halo piece and more of a family-hauler .....

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
I can understand if you don't like the display but the X is superior in so many more important ways. It's "big, roomy, drives very nicely, and is loaded with technology" just as well. It also get's way better than the 18 mpg Enclave does in the city. The whole battery being older just has to do with the fact they haven't updated them on it yet as the 3 has taken so much of the focus (and for good reason). I'm betting this year we will see updates across the board and probably a switch to horizontal display. Also, the X is definitely a family hauler, just not a big family hauler - which it sounds like you have. A big roomy 3rd row would probably be a nice addition to the Tesla line up.

I can understand if you don't like the display but the X is superior in so many more important ways. It's "big, roomy, drives very nicely, and is loaded with technology" just as well. It also get's way better than the 18 mpg Enclave does in the city. The whole battery being older just has to do with the fact they haven't updated them on it yet as the 3 has taken so much of the focus (and for good reason). I'm betting this year we will see updates across the board and probably a switch to horizontal display. Also, the X is definitely a family hauler, just not a big family hauler - which it sounds like you have. A big roomy 3rd row would probably be a nice addition to the Tesla line up.

Trust me, you don’t have to sell me on all the upsides. They’re too numerous to count!

I’m just struggling with dropping 2x the cash for some serious compromises - room, capacity, and yeah even some tech safety features, believe it or not ... blind spot in-mirror alerts, 360 camera, etc. I’m in a pickle since a deer decided to jump in front of our Enclave. Have to decide to keep it post-repair (will I ever trust it again?), get another Enclave, or a Model X. Them’s the choices right now. Hopefully we’ll have the current one back sometime by early February, and then I can start making the keep/trade/EV decision tree ....

but agreed on a Tesla real 3-row hauler! The Rivian R1S is the right size but it’s not real yet, won’t be for a while, and isn’t a Tesla. :)

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
So I've been looking hard for a couple of days and I believe I have a better understanding of what's selling and what isn't.

A gentlemen in CA had a black AWD M3 with FSD for $41,000, the ad was removed within 2 days. I didn't have the experience nor know-how to jump on this when I really should have. Don't remember what the mileage was.

There's a clown with a 2018 white M3, 77k miles mid range with EAP asking for $55,000. Good luck to you pal.

Most cars I see are between lower to mid $40's with decent options - mainly EAP or FSD, decent mileage (under 20,000 usually) but RWD LR. They haven't sold in the time i've been looking. That being said, i'm a bit more confident now that I could find a AWD with FSD for under 44,000 so this is what i'm aiming for and i'm ready to jump on it immediately. I'm looking within 500 miles on Autotrader, Cars, and Craigslist.

So I've been looking hard for a couple of days and I believe I have a better understanding of what's selling and what isn't.

A gentlemen in CA had a black AWD M3 with FSD for $41,000, the ad was removed within 2 days. I didn't have the experience nor know-how to jump on this when I really should have. Don't remember what the mileage was.

There's a clown with a 2018 white M3, 77k miles mid range with EAP asking for $55,000. Good luck to you pal.

Most cars I see are between lower to mid $40's with decent options - mainly EAP or FSD, decent mileage (under 20,000 usually) but RWD LR. They haven't sold in the time i've been looking. That being said, i'm a bit more confident now that I could find a AWD with FSD for under 44,000 so this is what i'm aiming for and i'm ready to jump on it immediately. I'm looking within 500 miles on Autotrader, Cars, and Craigslist.
That’ll be a hard find when Tesla themselves are paying that or better on trade in. Be ready to fly cross country for the right deal.

I'm looking in SoCal, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona. I don't know the first thing about shipping a car here from a different part of the country. but maybe I should? Is it expensive? I don't think I could take a week off work just to drive home lol
Won’t take you a week but are you really going to buy a used car sight unseen?

Reactions: rdcisneros3
Definitely a seller's market in terms of used Model 3's
Telsa has a great reputation right now, most people I run into that ask me about my Model 3 think it costs more than they do.

I have seen some very inflated prices from 3rd party dealerships I assume that they must sell some of them ; suspect it is for a couple of reasons. A.) Those dealers bought the cars when the new MSRP was higher so refuse to take a loss when reselling and B.) sucker buyer's are probably told by the dealers that there is a year waiting list for new cars and similar things like that, given Telsa's reputation they believe it as well as think the price is less than expected.
Keep in mind those dealerships often get people into cars based on monthly payment is X rather than actual total price is this which Tesla right now really does not do well and therefore are not selling to those who don't have good credit or finances.

Private seller's with high prices are also either taking advantage of the lack of supply in the market (why not) or pricing factoring in what they paid new MSRP instead of the actual worth or the fact they received rebates.

Usually it is fiscally smart to not buy new. With the Model 3 I am not so sure currently.

Either way, I don't see the problem going away.
Only chance is with the Y stealing demand and the 3 become less desirable then.
I think the market for the 2 cars is similar. Many like me went from an SUV to a Model 3 cause it was the best option available, had the Y been out I would have one. Though, I am not thinking of trading mine in for a Y at this point.
Might trade in the wife's SUV for a Y in another year or so.
Around me almost everyone drives an SUV ; though since I have young children I tend to travel in those circles. Day care and summer camp drop off I would say is 90% SUV dominated in my area. Also a $40K SUV is not much of a premium over a basic SUV. A $40K sedan is still upper market/luxury priced compared to basic sedans.
Much like the 3 has hurt the Model S sales I think the Y will hurt Model 3 sales.

Definitely a seller's market in terms of used Model 3's
Telsa has a great reputation right now, most people I run into that ask me about my Model 3 think it costs more than they do.

I have seen some very inflated prices from 3rd party dealerships I assume that they must sell some of them ; suspect it is for a couple of reasons. A.) Those dealers bought the cars when the new MSRP was higher so refuse to take a loss when reselling and B.) sucker buyer's are probably told by the dealers that there is a year waiting list for new cars and similar things like that, given Telsa's reputation they believe it as well as think the price is less than expected.
Keep in mind those dealerships often get people into cars based on monthly payment is X rather than actual total price is this which Tesla right now really does not do well and therefore are not selling to those who don't have good credit or finances.

Private seller's with high prices are also either taking advantage of the lack of supply in the market (why not) or pricing factoring in what they paid new MSRP instead of the actual worth or the fact they received rebates.

Usually it is fiscally smart to not buy new. With the Model 3 I am not so sure currently.

Either way, I don't see the problem going away.
Only chance is with the Y stealing demand and the 3 become less desirable then.
I think the market for the 2 cars is similar. Many like me went from an SUV to a Model 3 cause it was the best option available, had the Y been out I would have one. Though, I am not thinking of trading mine in for a Y at this point.
Might trade in the wife's SUV for a Y in another year or so.
Around me almost everyone drives an SUV ; though since I have young children I tend to travel in those circles. Day care and summer camp drop off I would say is 90% SUV dominated in my area. Also a $40K SUV is not much of a premium over a basic SUV. A $40K sedan is still upper market/luxury priced compared to basic sedans.
Much like the 3 has hurt the Model S sales I think the Y will hurt Model 3 sales.

Very bad timing for me. My car is approaching 6 years old (as of June 2020) and consequentially my Climate Control has already broken, my trunk is break-ing, the expensive tires are balding, and i'll need to look into new brake pads here soon. I only have 40k miles on the thing.

I'm not sure I can make it to the end of the year without forking over thousands of dollars on repairs and maintenance - which would mean less money for me to spend on a M3.