TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is it possible to NOT curb rash 21" rims?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Drucifer, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I tried to find the average number of right turns made in a day by drivers in the USA and couldn't find it, so I will work from a data point of one.

I make about 20 right turns a day, or say roughly 6500 right turns a year (removing work travel/vacation days where the car is parked). 6500!
    I just rashed my right rear 21" grey rim yesterday.:cursing: I was turning from a one-way street with 3 narrow lanes into a shopping center driveway - pretty tight quarters. After I parked and looked at the concrete where I rashed, I could see it was completely black from tire transfer over time.

Can anyone execute a maneuver that many times consistently and without error? Is it even possible? Is it really a matter of saying that "there are those who have rashed their rims and those that will". What are your thoughts?

2. mattmass

mattmass Member

Sorry this happened, I know it sucks!

I think you are probably right that it is inevitable, particularly for the passenger side rear. I actually just mounted rim protectors this past weekend, to try to help avoid exactly this. I'm still trying to decide if I like the look...

I will say that I've have really great luck with rim repair in the past. I had a (non-tesla) wheel badly damaged by a curb. The shop did a stunning job. I would have thought it impossible to fix it as well as they did. You can always look into something like that in your area.

3. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

Have had my 21" Grey rims for 6 months now.
    Have curbed them 3 times.
    Now the good news. 1- I have a great and relatively inexpensive mobile Wheel repair guy.
    And 2- the Rashes occurred during the 1st 4 months of ownership. Model S is by far the biggest car I have ever driven....so maybe the learning curve is starting to flatten?

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

If you have 21" rims and live in a city where you don't park in wide open spaces all the time it's basically a given.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Well, at least y'all are making me feel less bad about it. Thanks for that :smile:

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

The passenger rear is the hardest one to keep pristine. Twice already I haven't rashed my 19", but I hopped the curb. Both times were leaving the same grocery store. I have gotten used to not caring in my ICE as my 17" wheels on the 4Runner could just run over anything. I'm trying harder to make wider turns which brings in the fear of cutting slightly into the second perpendicular lane with the nose of the Model S. Back to your question, I do not think it is possible with an average of 6500 right turns just from commuting to avoid rash 100% of the time. Incidentally, this is also why I am not bothering to get my wheels coated with cQuartz Finest b/c I'm sure I'll rash my wheels as some point.

7. steph280

steph280 Member

It's unavoidable if you live in urban area. Tesla designed these wheels to look good, without any type of protection.

With that said, next time you need tire replacement, ask for tires with rim protection feature. These tires have more "meat" around the rim to act like bumpers for your rim, so it offers SOME protection against certain type of curb rash (like parallel parking).

Do your tires have rim protectors? - Tire Rack Team Blog | Tire Rack

8. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I think in the beginning you will have to get use to judging your distance when parking or turning into a tight narrow road with curbs on both sides. I have not had any rash in the last 6 months but I'm very careful when parking or getting into tight spaces. I have been repairing my rims myself and it is very easy to do and costs almost nothing.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Can you start a new thread about how to do this and the materials you use? Thanks.

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

yes it is possible. buy 19s instead. done.

11. steph280

steph280 Member

The 19" are just as easy to get rash as the 21's. In fact the spokes actually sticks outwards making them easier to come in contact with curbs.

12. Owner

Owner Active Member

I just did another bad rash yesterday after 45K miles. Was driving a little hard and not paying enough attention to an unexpected curb in an odd parking lot. Right rear again, which is the worst.

many 19" wheels have rash too. You just don't notice them as much as the wheels are well kind of uninteresting (just my opinion).

I don't really worry anymore about the rash in terms of looks, just worry about the alignment.

13. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

I think it is almost impossible to completely avoid wheel rash. The car is big and you cannot see the fenders/edges of the car. The good news is that our local service center gave us the name of a guy that can fix it for a reasonable price. My old Toyota 4runner is much easier to park.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Well, I have an appointment with the rim shop for Wednesday at 8 am. It was originally going to be for my Volt, but Model S just beat the Volt for the slot. The Volt will have its turn on 7/15.

I wonder if the rim place has a punch card program. Like buy 9 rim fixes get the 10th free. Maybe I can get on some sort of pre-paid discount or annual "unlimited" program...lol. Seriously, I'm probably going to need it.

15. cassiri

cassiri Member

Just did it to my 4 day old P85D with gray wheels. The sound was excruciating. I was so happy I found a corner spot and just cut it to short. The car has a much longer wheelbase than I am used to.

16. mattmass

mattmass Member

Oh man I'm so sorry to hear that! Try not to beat yourself up over it. I know that sound, and it really is terrible.

17. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    I think we forget the Model S is a larger car than most. It's so easy to scratch wheels with it. It takes time to give yourself more room.

That's why we include a free extra rim protector with our wheels, which already comes with one each.

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

In my experience, no:) Two days after having my 21s re-powder coated I scraped a curb. I'm giving up.

19. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I think if you emulate Ferris Bueller and his buddy you'll be just fine.

(watched that for the FIRST TIME! last night)

20. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Update. Got them repaired for $125 at Rimguard Extreme in Charlotte, NC. You can't tell anything happened...amazing.

I should have taken pics of the damage for the before/after shot. I was pretty unhappy about it so taking pics wasn't really on my mind.

http://www.rimguardxtreme.com/