Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to use the Tesla 2020 Roadster as a daily driver ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Small city near Amsterdam.
We can meet up at Tesla European HQ and SuperCharger. They have great coffee there. ;)

What do you personally think about the daily driver-ability of the new Roadster?

As a fellow Dutchie literally the only reason I have not pre-ordered the 2020 is concern about getting over our country's many speed-bumps... if it's going to be Lambo-level annoying, I'm unfortunately going to have to pass on it.

One of the benefits of EV ownership is a general lack of periodic maintenance, which for most super cars can be extreme.
Ferrari includes 7 years of maintenance so the cost there is 0. (although it doesn't include tires)

And Tesla's ridiculous annual service fees have killed the whole thought that EV's don't require periodic maintenance.

Ferrari includes 7 years of maintenance so the cost there is 0. (although it doesn't include tires)

And Tesla's ridiculous annual service fees have killed the whole thought that EV's don't require periodic maintenance.
I was thinking about the McLaren when I wrote that, but it's interesting about Ferrari. My guess is that it's probably funded from the marketing budget. References to outrageous supercar maintenance is all over the place, and well known as an issue.

We don't know what sort of maintenance will be recommended for the 2020 Roadster, but as a trend, Tesla seems to be loosening the requirements for maintenance, not making them worse. I'm guessing this is for marketing reasons as well. Even so, the costs haven't been out of line. I have one of the 2010 Roadsters, and for me, the $600 I spend annually to keep it running seems to be worth it, given the car's design, um, "quirks".

It's more along the lines of "if you can afford a $200,000 car then you can afford to buy good f#%€ing tires, too."

Plus you're not going to get that extreme performance with crap tires.
I don't want to devolve this into a discussion of how to spend one's money, but I expect that one can get quite acceptable performance and significantly longer life from tires that aren't nearly as expensive as what the car comes with. As a daily driver, ultimate performance isn't necessary, and by your logic, you can always get (afford) a second set of wheels for those days when you take the car to the track.

What do you personally think about the daily driver-ability of the new Roadster?

As a fellow Dutchie literally the only reason I have not pre-ordered the 2020 is concern about getting over our country's many speed-bumps... if it's going to be Lambo-level annoying, I'm unfortunately going to have to pass on it.
I wouldn't worry too much about ride height. US spec cars (e.g. Porsche) are notably set to relatively high road clearance. Either way easy to fix with small modifications, especially if New Roadster will be equipped with air suspension.
Fear for high maintenance, wear and repair costs is my main reason for holding off my reservation.

NB Welkom hier met je eerste post. Heb je al wel een Model S of X?

I've been daily driving my original Roadster for 8.5 years/almost 140K miles. It's completely fine to do, although I do cringe when my wife wants me to get bulky stuff like TP at the supermarket.

The 2020 Roadster will be much bigger and doubtless have much more space, as well as having things like autopilot and supercharging, so I don't see why it would be a problem to drive every day. I probably will when I get mine, unless I can't give up driving the old one.

I wouldn't worry too much about ride height. US spec cars (e.g. Porsche) are notably set to relatively high road clearance. Either way easy to fix with small modifications, especially if New Roadster will be equipped with air suspension.
Fear for high maintenance, wear and repair costs is my main reason for holding off my reservation.

NB Welkom hier met je eerste post. Heb je al wel een Model S of X?

What do you mean with your air suspension comment? Adjustable ride height in general, or like the temporary front axle lift that for example Lambo uses? Because the latter is a very annoying system to have to use day-to-day (IMHO).

I do not currently own an S or X, though I have driven ones. I have no need of a car that size at this point in my life.

Ha! As if Ferrari owners drive their cars enough to require any real maintenance. There is always exceptions but I have yet to meet a Ferrari owner that does more than drive their car to Cars and Coffee a few times a year and occasionally take the wife (or side chick) out for a nice dinner. My neighbor has a 2018 488GTB and it only goes out to restaurants he can park it out front at. He did let me take it for a spin. Once. I think he had a pulmonary embolism when I dropped the hammer through 4th gear. He did say floor it though.... LOL

My P100D Model X (13k miles) is my daily driver and my wife's Model S is her daily driver (30k miles). The Model S will be traded in for the Roadster. The Roadster will be my new daily driver and it will be at the dragstrip as soon as I can get it there. I can't wait for Roadster vs the world.

I'll even have my own power supply to keep it "juiced up".

IMG_0686.jpeg

Well, I used a Ferrari GT4 as a daily driver, not to mention Morgan +8 (thank God for smooth roads) and a number of others equally inappropriate vehicles.
I will use my Roadster, when it arrives, in just the same way. All my several Porsches were used that way. In practice any 2+2 seems to have workable solutions for storage, even though not too comfortable for large people. Four large adult males in a 911 with luggage can be done, although they did mention how ridiculous it was to arrive in an 8 passenger jet, then stuff themselves in tiny car when they could easily have rented an SUV. But..taht was beside the point.

So, the Tesla Roadster will have astonishingly plentiful luggage and living space when compared to anything else a borderline insane person might choose.
I predict your children must share your bizarre tastes, so I recommend you do not let them drive.

In support of my last point, my favourite nephew was permitted to drive my 964 convertible many years ago in Montana, where he was visiting from Rio de Janeiro. He drove, legally, above 100 mph for the very first time. Now he retains that lunacy so has a fetish for a SP100D and is lusting after my Tesla Roadster order to the extent that he's trying hard for me to upgrade to a Founder's Edition.

Finally, don't worry about space. Just worry about when we'll actually have them.:cool::rolleyes::D

Reactions: Wineborg
Ha! As if Ferrari owners drive their cars enough to require any real maintenance...
View attachment 300395
I have had only one Ferrari, but I drove mine about 30,000 miles a year. It clearly varies, and perhaps most of them are not driven very much, but many fo them are. Mostly they are quite reliable, as for that matter are post-Audi Lamborghini. Repair costs are, I agree, expensive.

OTOH, I challenge anybody to find a cheaper car to operate than the S or the X as long as the comparison is to something comparable. My own experience with BMW 5 and 7 plus MB S-class shows my P85D is less than half the cost to operate. Scheduled maintenance is even cheaper.

Somehow I think most critics are comparing with far less complex vehicles.

OTOH, I challenge anybody to find a cheaper car to operate than the S or the X as long as the comparison is to something comparable. My own experience with BMW 5 and 7 plus MB S-class shows my P85D is less than half the cost to operate. Scheduled maintenance is even cheaper.
When I got my last BMW they included maintenance for 4 years (I think its only 3 now) and my costs beyond that were still well below what Tesla charges for the Annual service. Around here with low gas prices and high electric prices, the fuel savings is not enough to overcome the ridiculous annual maintence costs that Tesla charges. Of course if you drive more, or if you have cheaper electric that could work out differently for you.