Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth $3k for FSD for EAP owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there’s already a thread discussing the FSD upgrade email EAP owners got. I’m starting a new thread to discuss over the next week before her 8/16 price hike, if it’s worth $3000 to get FSD especially since there is nothing new being added to EAP owners and that FSD is vapor ware. Any thoughts from other EAP owners out there?

I am on the fence but will probably not purchase now. EAP and NoA are more than adequate for my current driving needs. I just do not see autonomous driving being useful for me. I do not take that many long trips and certainly do not plan to let anyone else drive my car.

Having said that, I would like to have the V3 hardware for future EAP improvements that may require the hardware. Maybe in the future they will offer just the hardware at a lower price.

Reactions: larryj
Right now, FSD is vapor if you have EAP, but I bought it when it was $2k, because eventually, HW 2.5 is going to be a dead end, and having HW 3.0 keeps the door open for continued improvement. Really depends on how long you plan to keep your car. I tend to keep mine for 10 years or more.

No.

Any time the car wants to change lanes you'll piss off everyone around you.

It seems the car has very limited vision. It slows down to change lanes instead of accelerating into the lane to properly merge with traffic. Signals to get over and waits too long to make the move.

It is far from ready.

If you do not drive with cars around you it works pretty well aside from the moments it slows down abruptly for no reason.

Last edited:
...vapor ware...

It's just like buying a stock and wonder whether the stock price will increase to your target someday.

It's also vaporware because it is not at that targe price yet!

There will be people who think it's worth it because it has not reached the target price.

Still, others say it is not worth it because it has not reached that target price.

Reactions: pilotSteve
It seems the car has very limited vision. It slows down to change lanes instead of accelerating into the lane to properly merge with traffic. Signals to get over and waits too long to make the move.

It is far from ready.

If you do not drive with cars around you it works pretty well aside from the moments it slows down abruptly for no reason.
That mirrors our experience in Los Angeles.

Reactions: dwalme
I know there’s already a thread discussing the FSD upgrade email EAP owners got. I’m starting a new thread to discuss over the next week before her 8/16 price hike, if it’s worth $3000 to get FSD especially since there is nothing new being added to EAP owners and that FSD is vapor ware. Any thoughts from other EAP owners out there?

I say yes if you plan to keep your car several years.

For $3000, you get:
- FSD computer upgrade
- "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Recognition"
- "Automatic City Driving"
- Any additional FSD features that may come after that.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon (or a realist?). Legally approved FSD may require HW4 or even HW5 and maybe new sensors before all is said and done, With over two years of personal experience with EAP, my opinion is that's it's a big leap from the impressive, but problematic, EAP to unrestricted FSD. And current Teslas may not even be up-gradable to FSD when legislators actually sign off on this.

On the other hand, additional semi-autonomous and other features added in the mean-time for "FSD Teslas" may be worthwhile to many. Stopping at stop signs and red lights and implementing the dash/security cam are examples of this.

I remember that from the earliest days of television, "hang on the wall" TVs were only a decade away. It took over 5 decades to actually get there...but it eventually did.

Similar predictions (and final success) for speaker-independent voice recognition starting in the early 80s, "All we need is twice the computing power...and twice...and twice...

Reactions: TomLee

Given Tesla's history of consistent broken promises on FSD, I am not giving them any money until I see it in action and working.

Also, given Tesla's constant changes in prices, I am pretty sure that if they ever deliver FSD, there will be some option to purchase it at a discounted rate.

It's just like buying a stock and wonder whether the stock price will increase to your target someday.

I don’t know. I can always sell stocks and exercisable options in my portfolio.

Once you buy FSD, will Tesla refund your money if you don’t want it anymore?

Or is it like a “stock” that can’t be converted into money the moment you bought it? But may deliver something other than money if the “speculation” works out?

That’s a weird kind of stock.

100% worth it, new features are coming with V10. I personally bought at 2K. I use AP like every sec. it’s a game changer for me

Reactions: radiocycle
You have to evaluate what’s important for you. Do you use AP? If you do then it’s worth it, if you don’t really activate it much, then prob not. But I think you would regret not
Getting it now at 3K while you can just like when so many people regret not getting at 2K

No.

Any time the car wants to change lanes you'll piss off everyone around you.

It is far from ready.

really? Are you on latest firmware? The autolane change is night and day different from 2 months ago. It’s extremely smooth and quick on mad max mode literally as if a human is changing lane. It used to be a pain and I had turned it off but now it’s very quick