Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was also the crazy week where Elon had said he had struck a deal to go private, and gotten sued by the SEC. The stock plummeted, so I took the $50k and bought 200shares at $265 in the last 15 secs on the Friday. That was the $50k I had freed up on Wednesday after I got fooled into believing Tesla had my car ready. On Saturday, Elon settled with the SEC, and in the first minute on Monday, I sold my 200 shares for $315, a 20% increase and a $10k gain in less than a minute of market ownership. Thanks, Elon!
Even crazier, those shares of stock are now worth a split adjusted $5640 each! Thanks, Elon, indeed.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and WhiteWi
Heated steering wheel (not an option on SR+)
rear heated seats ($300 option on SR+)
better sound system
ambient lights
floor mats

the only real benefit is the heated wheel (my sr+ sound system sounds OK), the other items are more fluff - but included none the less.
When "better interior" was mentioned I thought of things like perforated leather, polished maple trim, more sound deadening. Things like heated seats and steering wheel are meaningless to someone from say Texas or Arizona.

I am aware of the upgraded sound. That's an improvement. Floor mats of your choice can be added. Ambient lights? Meh.

When "better interior" was mentioned I thought of things like perforated leather, polished maple trim, more sound deadening. Things like heated seats and steering wheel are meaningless to someone from say Texas or Arizona.

I am aware of the upgraded sound. That's an improvement. Floor mats of your choice can be added. Ambient lights? Meh.
someone in Texas will need the extra range though... people go *FAST* on the interstate here and it's hot in the summer and can be very windy as well. Unless you are only putting around Dallas-Austin ... even Dallas- Houston would likely be a 2 stop charging experience with the SR+ versus a one stop charging trip with the LR

Reactions: Electroman
3 month owner of a 2021 SR+ NCA. At the time I ordered in June 2021, with a $10K price difference before taxes, the SR+ was clearly the value leader, the one that depreciates the least, the lightest, and the most efficient. I said it then, and say it now - that Tesla fails to adequately differentiate the interior of the Model 3 between the trim levels.

Now as of November 2021, I would get a LR AWD version given:

1) Now a $6K price difference.
2) New SR+ (now just called Model 3) is now over 200 pounds heavier and has a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds (1/2 second SLOWER than mine). 5.8 vs 4.2 seconds is a HUGE difference - although I will readily admit that (a) driving in traffic there are few opportunities to use it and (b) when accelerating at speed the difference is less.
3) AWD traction
4) Better factory sound
5) Heated rear seats/steering wheel/ambient lights.
6) Faster Level 2 and Level 3 charging.
7) Floor mats - although I'd replace the carpet ones with aftermarket all weather anyway.

Would I sell my 2021 SR+ NCA for a 2022 LR AWD? No way! I'm happy with what I have, and given the price increases and resale values, I could literally drive the car for free for at least a year - even after factoring in sales taxes.

Reactions: tm1v2
2) New SR+ (now just called Model 3) is now over 200 pounds heavier and has a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds (1/2 second SLOWER than mine). 5.8 vs 4.2 seconds is a HUGE difference - although I will readily admit that (a) driving in traffic there are few opportunities to use it and (b) when accelerating at speed the difference is less.
Something doesn't seem right about this. 200 pounds shouldn't affect 0-60 by a half second (was 5.3, now 5.8).

I think Tesla is sandbagging quite a bit here. 200 extra pounds shouldn't affect 0-60 by more than 0.1 to 0.2 seconds at max. Old hotrodders/drag racers have told me shaving 100 pounds off a car's weight is good for 0.1 seconds in the quarter.

Tesla would have reasons to de-tune the SR+:
1. Hertz ordering a literal shipload of them (they may have requested them being de-tuned a bit for durability)
2. Nearly a year-long backlog of the base (18") spec model, they'd rather this not get bigger
3. Upsell potential buyers into the LR.

With reasons 2 and 3, it might just be a change in advertised spec without an actual de-tuning. But an actual de-tuning might have also boosted the range a bit?

Something doesn't seem right about this. 200 pounds shouldn't affect 0-60 by a half second (was 5.3, now 5.8).

I think Tesla is sandbagging quite a bit here. 200 extra pounds shouldn't affect 0-60 by more than 0.1 to 0.2 seconds at max. Old hotrodders/drag racers have told me shaving 100 pounds off a car's weight is good for 0.1 seconds in the quarter.

Tesla would have reasons to de-tune the SR+:
1. Hertz ordering a literal shipload of them (they may have requested them being de-tuned a bit for durability)
2. Nearly a year-long backlog of the base (18") spec model, they'd rather this not get bigger
3. Upsell potential buyers into the LR.

With reasons 2 and 3, it might just be a change in advertised spec without an actual de-tuning. But an actual de-tuning might have also boosted the range a bit?
The change may also be not so much with the extra weight but with the battery technology

No one has ever said at any point "I wish I had gotten a smaller battery"
people also forget battery degradation and that very rarely when road-tripping and using SC's you will want to charge above 90% (painfully slow) and likely want to arrive with at least 5-10% left when approaching the next charger.... so 260 miles range really become around 200 miles and that is *before* cold weather, headwinds, going faster than 70 mph etc...

The LiFePo4 cells have a lower full charge voltage, which causes less degradation at higher charge percentages, but:

P(watts)= I(amps) x V(volts)

I would think the current (amps) is limited in the system somewhere. If I remember correctly, the chemistry has a slightly higher internal resistance as well. Therefore, making more heat internally at higher power draws.

3 month owner of a 2021 SR+ NCA. At the time I ordered in June 2021, with a $10K price difference before taxes, the SR+ was clearly the value leader, the one that depreciates the least, the lightest, and the most efficient. I said it then, and say it now - that Tesla fails to adequately differentiate the interior of the Model 3 between the trim levels.

Now as of November 2021, I would get a LR AWD version given:

1) Now a $6K price difference.
3) AWD traction
4) Better factory sound
5) Heated rear seats/steering wheel/ambient lights.
6) Faster Level 2 and Level 3 charging.
7) Floor mats - although I'd replace the carpet ones with aftermarket all weather anyway.

Would I sell my 2021 SR+ NCA for a 2022 LR AWD? No way! I'm happy with what I have, and given the price increases and resale values, I could literally drive the car for free for at least a year - even after factoring in sales taxes.

Haven't seen this confirmed yet but there was an e-mail from Tesla to an owner saying the new RWD Model 3 now includes the heated rear seats and steering wheel. If they did that maybe the sound as well, i.e.. no more partial vs premium interior

Haven't seen this confirmed yet but there was an e-mail from Tesla to an owner saying the new RWD Model 3 now includes the heated rear seats and steering wheel. If they did that maybe the sound as well, i.e.. no more partial vs premium interior
Yep, if you do a model compare, it does not bring up anything about interior differences:

Yep, if you do a model compare, it does not bring up anything about interior differences:
At the current price point for the SR+ (now just the Model 3) that would be logical, but the descriptions on the order page still omit the interior differences.

If you never going to use it as a multi state road tripper then Standard is fine.
Cross country on a regular basis, OK (and only a 'maybe' - changing for the better with more and more chargers)

As a former SR+ owner, the car does fine on road trips. Yes, more stops and takes a bit longer - but using the 'splash and dash' method, my 'splash stops' always took longer than the charge necessary to get to the next charger (thus arriving with too much charge or skipping a charge stop).

Reactions: WhiteWi
Cross country on a regular basis, OK (and only a 'maybe' - changing for the better with more and more chargers)

As a former SR+ owner, the car does fine on road trips. Yes, more stops and takes a bit longer - but using the 'splash and dash' method, my 'splash stops' always took longer than the charge necessary to get to the next charger (thus arriving with too much charge or skipping a charge stop).
Was trying to keep it simple. Just sold my 16 S which had 229 miles of range and I was able to do multi state trips in it just fine. Little bit more planning and efficient driving style skills but doable ;)