Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my 2022 Model Y totaled?

Is my tesla model y totaled?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
My 2022 Model Y go read-ended yesterday.
It is about 1 year old with 15k miles.
Immediately after the crash, it gave me many warning signs and I couldn’t even drive it off to the side of the road because the car wouldn’t let me. Then it shut off about 15 mins later even though I had plenty of charge.
I’ve been reviewing many “is my model y totaled” posts, but I was wondering what you guys all think. The hitch cover got displaced but I couldn’t really see the extent of the damage to the bottom part the car.
It is now at tow yard waiting to be transported to a body shop.
At this point I just want my car to be totaled…

Attachments

• 30C5CB06-CC16-4635-94B2-302C9029075D.jpeg
    30C5CB06-CC16-4635-94B2-302C9029075D.jpeg
    581.5 KB · Views: 466
  • E2CDDD26-ABF4-4448-8675-55CA270798AA.jpeg
    E2CDDD26-ABF4-4448-8675-55CA270798AA.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 259
Oh wow, that’s terrible! I hope YOU are ok.

I went through this a couple of years ago. I got rear ended in my Ford Expedition by a Mini Cooper and it got totaled. It had frame damage that would cost too much to fix. But it was worth only $10K. Here’s my advice. Insurance companies are NOT your friend! Even your own will try to cut costs and screw you over. Keep control over the repair process. Never take their first offer.

Reactions: Nickos
Sorry to hear. Is there any damage to the rear quarter panels? Have the gaps around the rear doors changed? If so then it’s more likely to be totaled as the car has structurally changed shape. Be interesting to know why the car shut itself down cause if there is any unseen battery damage that also pushes it toward write off. Do a search here on diminished value claims as if it is repaired that will likely show up in the CarFax.

Man this sucks...hopefully nobody was injured.

Its really hard to tell from pics if a car is a total loss. From your pictures we definitely know the rear hatch and bumper cover will need replaced. I don't see any damage on the RR quarter panel in the pictures. The LR is not visible. There is likely damage underneath that will need to be evaluated if the hitch was displaced. If there is no additional damage underneath they may decide to fix it. I am purely speculating here.

I would look into a diminished value claim if the insurance company opts to fix it. There will be a ding on the vehicle history report which will significantly lower the market value of your vehicle after repair.

Sorry to see that. Always sucks to see rear-ended Model Y's as I had that unfortunate experience myself in 2021. Based on the two pictures posted, it doesn't look totaled to me, but it's not possible to know if any damage happened underneath the rear bumper. It looks like the same parts (liftgate, bumper, lower bumper cover) got damaged as mine when I got rear-ended, but mine was drivable and the hatch still worked. I wonder if the pyro fuse was blown, causing the car to shutdown. Anyway, hopefully you can get sorted with insurance on repairs soon.

Ask for it to be totaled as their is no way to know what the damage is on frame till the whole car is dismantled, so you don't have to deal with issues down the road. Best way to go about it, to have it towed to Tesla, and not Insurance company recommended shop. Tesla = $200/hour rate, third party repair = $45/hour. If tesla shop is not an option, than look for the most expensive luxury car auto repair shop to give estimates to even look into it, this will make insurance company total it fast. Tesla repair rates = insurance would want to total and give you the check, and sell the car off in auction for parts or export to eastern European countries where they fix/repair/sell. Also, for comparable values, you got plenty of overpriced 2022 Model Y listings to justify full value or close to it.

Just a suggestion, not an advice :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Kairide
Had a similar accident in my M3LR last month. Car wouldn't drive, error messages showed. Car turned off after about 15 minutes (guessing 12v ran out and main battery was disconnected at impact).

The car was totaled and repair cost was like 50k.

Airbags did not deploy. i was rear ended and skid to hit the car in front of me as well.

There was a slight smell, guessing it was from the pyro fuse, and the seat belt didn't roll back in.

Had a bunch of error messages including rear motor disabled.

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra
Airbags did not deploy. i was rear ended and skid to hit the car in front of me as well.

There was a slight smell, guessing it was from the pyro fuse, and the seat belt didn't roll back in.

Had a bunch of error messages including rear motor disabled.
I'm glad you're okay though, meant to say that earlier.

The combination of the rear and front end damage makes more sense (high repair cost), 50k seems high since the airbags didn't deploy but I'm glad you were able to get it totaled out.

I'm glad you're okay though, meant to say that earlier.

The combination of the rear and front end damage makes more sense (high repair cost), 50k seems high since the airbags didn't deploy but I'm glad you were able to get it totaled out.
Thanks. Everything worked out okay because of the Model Y dropped in price 2 days after my accident. Also, geico payout was really good I pretty much got what I paid. Upgraded to MYP, just waiting for my MYP vin.

Yeah if there was front damage too that makes it much worse. I was "sandwiched" between two cars about 20 years ago. Car was a total loss. I was sitting still as was the driver in front. The guy rear ended me so hard the back of my seat broke and I was laying flat after. Still dealing with back issues from that wreck.

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra