Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now a bad time to buy a MS75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I would buy a decent used MS - whatever you will lose money by the bucket load but tbh a 3 year old MS could be a BETTER car than a new one.

So I’ve literally been looking to find a CPO I like for years. Because before recently, there wasn’t a premium package, all the options were separate, I found it impossible to find exactly what I wanted. AP hardware vehicle with Tech Package, Premium (depending on year), cold weather, HiFi stereo, dual motor, minimum 75 kWh, <25k miles, black on black (leather), sunroof.

Okay - these are great points! I do see features "disappearing" and new ones appearing.

Re: the referral code - does yours nave the $500 accessories? Or just the Extended solar Warranty?
I think that if you use the link in the above message you'll see all the details and you can easily order from that link. $500 credit plus free supercharging for life.

now is always the best time to buy a Tesla especially if it's replacing an ICE ;)

I was in my local Tesla store last night. They had two inventory vehicles that I was interested in. My S75D totals out at 92.5 all in, before tax. They had a S100D, same features selected, that was reduced $10k down to $99k - it only had 1200 miles and is obviously still considered new.

It makes so much sense to get the 100D, but my total keeps creeping up. I originally wanted to pay no more than $85. Somehow my 75 totaled $92.5. I'm drawing the line there, despite really wanting the 100D.

I'll still love everything about it! I was in the show room Tesla for about 30 minutes just playing with everything.

I was in my local Tesla store last night. They had two inventory vehicles that I was interested in. My S75D totals out at 92.5 all in, before tax. They had a S100D, same features selected, that was reduced $10k down to $99k - it only had 1200 miles and is obviously still considered new.

It makes so much sense to get the 100D, but my total keeps creeping up. I originally wanted to pay no more than $85. Somehow my 75 totaled $92.5. I'm drawing the line there, despite really wanting the 100D.

I'll still love everything about it! I was in the show room Tesla for about 30 minutes just playing with everything.
100D

I'd go for the 100D. You get to enjoy the extra range, and I think even after depreciation you'll come out ahead when you resell the car. It's extremely rare to find a situation that works out like that.

I was in the exact same boat (sort of). I was going to go with a 75D and found an inventory 100D with same options, but it was $15k more (after about a 4k discount). I went for it. Didnt have to wait for the order car (I hate waiting). But more importantly, I am very glad I got the 100D instead. The extra battery range is awesome. I dont need it on a day by day basis, but very nice to have when you want to go on a longer trip or in the winter when you get shrinkage.

Make the best decision for your needs...but you will never regret the 100 decision. Only hurts once (when you pay for it). But in your case the deal seems awesome.

Reactions: robby
The inventory 100D was $99k with premium package and autopilot. The interior/exterior color didn't match what I wanted, and it didn't have the sunroof (which I need because I frequently use roof racks). It was $10k off MSRP because it had 1200 miles on it as a demo car. I didn't care about that. My 75D came out at $92.5k, so we were still talking about $6.5k more. I know that's not a lot of money, but I'm already above budget because I didn't plan on getting premium seats (thought these were part of the premium upgrades package) and sunroof, which combined are $5k. So I was already starting above budget.

I asked him if they would meet me halfway at $95k and if so, I would sign then and there. He disappeared "to call his manager", which is one of the oldest car salesman tricks in the book, something I thought I could avoid buying a Tesla, and came back and said they were firm at $99. I respect that Tesla doesn't haggle, so I wasn't upset to walk out of the store, which I did. However, he definitely had a look of shock on his face when I said no thank you and left.

Either way I win - I still get a Tesla. Some people are saying the 75D makes "no sense at all" when you can get a long range Model 3 for less with more range. Range isn't all I care about. I want a larger, comfortable vehicle with high end appointments and tons of room. I also had a requirement for this purchase of purchasing a hatchback, which immediately eliminates the Model 3 and knocks out pretty much everything else in this price range, except maybe the Mercedes E-class wagon, but a wagon isn't a hatch back - it's still a compromise.

I used a couple of the online EV trip calculators to check every conceivable trip that I may take in the next 5 years (I'm a creature of habit so this was easy to do). There will be only one trip that has me stopping more than once at a super charger - I drive once a year into the hills of the Pocono Mountains in PA to visit family. It's very steep hill climbs and a long distance from my home in Boston. I could stop twice and charge for 20 minutes both times, or stop once for an hour and charge. I have a dog so stopping twice on a drive that long is what I already do. I don't mind just setting the autopilot to speed limit +5 and getting there when I get there.
Since it's a family house, I can bring an "extension chord" and plug into the dryer plug. I'll just order the adapter directly from Tesla after a family members texts me a picture of the outlet.

And I think the most important part - it makes absolutely no sense to spend $6,500 to buy a car in the colors I don't want, just to complete a drive I will only perform 1x a year. I can rent an ICE for the trip going forward if it doesn't go well after the first time.

Another argument I heard was that because I live in New England, where it's frequently below freezing and can be single digits or even negative F for days at a time, the 100D will be useful due to range loss from cold weather. I think this can be pretty well mitigated by preheating the battery, which Tesla now lets you do from the App. My understanding is that if I get the battery up to operating temps while plugged in, my range in cold weather should be similar to normal range. The range loss from cold weather is a result of the battery sitting out and getting cold. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A huge benefit for me, purchasing any EV with this type of range, is the weekly trips I take up to NH to stay at my cabin. It's only 120 or so miles so it can easily be done on a single charge - paying for gas for 40+ trips per year adds up fast, as does maintenance on an ICE vehicle. And there is a free public charger on my street! Literally 100 feet from my house AND I get free charging at work. Combine that with superchargers, and I can go a majority of this car's life without paying for electrons.

Preheating your battery in the winter will help with the initial range loss, but you will still see a very real increase in energy consumption while driving in cold weather. The air is thicker, snow provides less traction which results in wasted energy, and you will still be starting a cold-soaked car every time you park somewhere without a charger.

With that said, if the 75D has the range you need year round, it sounds like you found the right car for you. Congrats.

Preheating your battery in the winter will help with the initial range loss, but you will still see a very real increase in energy consumption while driving in cold weather. The air is thicker, snow provides less traction which results in wasted energy, and you will still be starting a cold-soaked car every time you park somewhere without a charger.

With that said, if the 75D has the range you need year round, it sounds like you found the right car for you. Congrats.

Look - I get it. The 100D is better all around. There is never a situation where the 75D will be better than the 100D. However - the 75D exists for a reason - not everyone can justify or afford the $20k premium for 70 more miles. I'm one of those people. Hopefully when I purchase my next Tesla I'll be in a financial position where $20k means much less to me than it does now

Aaa yes the Tesla price creep. Same boat as you back in December. I set my budget started looking and ended up with a new S100D that was...um...a tad over budget.

Still best car I ever bought and therfore for me the best decision.

Look - I get it. The 100D is better all around. There is never a situation where the 75D will be better than the 100D. However - the 75D exists for a reason - not everyone can justify or afford the $20k premium for 70 more miles. I'm one of those people. Hopefully when I purchase my next Tesla I'll be in a financial position where $20k means much less to me than it does now

Oh, I totally get it. I meant that in earnest -- sounds like the 75D is the right car for you! The rest was just a response to your question about range. Enjoy the new wheels.

...Range isn't all I care about. I want a larger, comfortable vehicle with high end appointments and tons of room. I also had a requirement for this purchase of purchasing a hatchback, which immediately eliminates the Model 3 and knocks out pretty much everything else in this price range, except maybe the Mercedes E-class wagon, but a wagon isn't a hatch back - it's still a compromise.

Exactly the same here. All of the "sporty" references to the Model 3 and the lack of air suspension, AWD, and sheer size difference pushed me to the Model S. Just collected it last week and it is AWESOME! Smooth luxurious ride. Wife loves it. The GPS-centric air suspension is fabulous. After setting it once, it now automatically achieves high setting when we drive over the swale bump at the driveway entrance and into the car port for comfortable exit/entry. 75D is all we need and we saved the coin.

Congratulations on making a wise and informed choice!

It's funny, after ordering my 75d, I visited Tesla and they of course looked at all the similar vehicles around the area that they could sell me now and every single one was a 100d. Maybe it only makes sense for them to upsell you with the excitement of getting one sooner than 2 months but it will be nice once you take delivery of something that has everything you picked out.

It's funny, after ordering my 75d, I visited Tesla and they of course looked at all the similar vehicles around the area that they could sell me now and every single one was a 100d. Maybe it only makes sense for them to upsell you with the excitement of getting one sooner than 2 months but it will be nice once you take delivery of something that has everything you picked out.

Thank you - this is very helpful to hear

Is the charging actually measurably slower? In my years of reading about these cars I don’t recall the battery size having an impact on charging size. Are you saying 75s accept the same number of amps but charge less miles per hour? I would think it would be the opposite.

Also I can’t tell if the nap part of your post is backhanded criticism or if you mean that