TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is now a bad time to buy a MS75D

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Joelgjr, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

Hi Everyone - like the title says. I'm ready to put down the deposit on a MS75D. I know there's another thread called "looking for gossip", but I figured I'd make one more to the point.

I'm asking because a few years ago, I bought an iPhone 5s, and everyone at work said why the heck did you do that? The iPhone 6 is about to be released? Are you stupid? And I felt stupid.

I don't want my MS75D to be another iPhone 5s. I get that there are no sure answers. But I just want to make sure I'm not missing something before I plunk down $90k.

Thank you!

2. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

You'll get another iPhone 5s no matter what!!!

New hardware is being implemented all the time, the latest and greatest being the new 17" center screen computer (leaving a whole bunch of people iPhone 5s'ed). What's the next thing who knows. New autopilot computer? New autopilot sensors? New seat types? New dashboard design? It's all rumored - few knows what's coming or when it will be released

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  3. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

I agree. You can buy the latest "now" or wait for another release, or wait again because that release is about to be updated...rinse and repeat until you Never jump in. Buy the best car ever made - now. Drive it and every few months it will become a better car. In a few dozen years, it will be worn out and you can then buy the -then- latest and greatest.

• Like x 1
  4. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

The price diff over the 3 doesn't seem worth it to me, to that end, I suspect a refresh on the S interior, to justify the cost diff.

• Like x 1
  5. dsnows

dsnows Member

New MCU just released and now available on all new orders. That's a significant update. The interior refresh would be worth waiting for if we knew that it was coming soon. Unfortunately no one knows for sure, could be next week, could be next year.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Now is always the best time and the worst time to buy one. That is just the way it is.

• Like x 6
  7. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

Okay - thanks everyone. I needed this reassurance!!

Deposit this week for a June delivery!

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  8. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

Also one other blip worth considering, sometimes the changes Tesla makes are not for the better, objectively or subjectively. Colors and options disappear, capabilities get reduced (i.e. 80A -> 72A charging), terms get changed (i.e. included->extra cost supercharging). So if you are ready for a Tesla, then don't wait, get a Tesla :)

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  9. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

We all felt the same way you did. Then you get it and forget all your worries. You may be in an iPhone5 but every one out your window is using flip phones.

• Like x 2
  10. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

Okay - these are great points! I do see features "disappearing" and new ones appearing.

Re: the referral code - does yours nave the $500 accessories? Or just the Extended solar Warranty?

11. FatherK

FatherK Member

Refresh, update, blah, blah. I just got my S75D on Saturday and it is SPECTACULAR.

Run, don’t walk, to get it. Or just sit and order it online. :)

• Like x 5
  12. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

If I order today, I won't get it until June...such a long wait! Gives me time at least to put in the 240v 14-50 outlet

13. FatherK

FatherK Member

I hear you. I was a Jan 26 order and didn’t go into production until 3/14.

Obvious bright side (new MCU) to that, but a long wait.

14. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

Okay - thanks everyone. I'll definitely use the referral for free superchargers for life and $500 on accessories. I want to get the all weather mats, center console (lol to a center console not included on a $90k car!), and I need roof cross bars for all my roof rack accessories. That's definitely over $500...

15. rmnelson

rmnelson Member

AP2 appeared about a month after I took delivery of our refreshed 75D. My understanding is that AP2 folks have reached parity with features that I've been using since delivery. I got a color that is no longer available, a solid roof that is no longer available, and coil springs that are no longer available.

Prior to delivery I worried about the same things you've talked about. Since delivery I enjoy the car and don't worry about the features I don't have that newer cars do have. And I particularly enjoy the features I have that newer cars don't.

• Like x 1
  16. dsnows

dsnows Member

A center console definitely comes with the basic configuration, unless that changed since I got mine a year ago, but I doubt it.

17. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

Yea, a bunch of people already corrected me with PMs. The Tesla accessories page says the center console is a “standard option”, which are two directly conflicting words, at least as far as automotive accessories go. I stand corrected that it is not an option; it is standard.

That actually allows me to get full weather mats all around plus both trunks for $500. I found that Thule also makes a compatible cross bar so I’ll be getting that.

Now I’m reading articles that Tesla will cease to exist in 12 months because they’re going to run out of runway before they can raise more funds. Need to stop reading.

18. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

Personally I would buy a decent used MS - whatever you will lose money by the bucket load but tbh a 3 year old MS could be a BETTER car than a new one.

19. Ruffles

Ruffles Member

That's what I did. I bought a CPO X with AP1. I knew it was AP1 and that it was a generation behind but the money I saved was worth it and I'm not mad like I would be if I bought new and an upgrade was released a week or month later that I wish I waited for. I KNOW what I'm buying and I'm find with it.

20. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

People forget how thrilling ANY MS is to own and drive - a year on I STILL get excited about my P85 and friends who are petrolheads are simply amazed when they get driven in it. I honestly get a smile on my face when I go out in my P85 as it is SO fast, SO responsive, So sexy and SO the future! I will get an extended warranty and when my car is 8 years old it could be a classic and actually increase in value!