Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Performance Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

New to the forums, and awaiting confirmation from my apartment on charging allowance in my garage before pulling the trigger on a Tesla. If everything with management works out though, Im planning on finally getting my dream car!

The question I keep going back and forth on is if the performance $10k upgrade is worth it. For anyone that has the performance model, do you consider it worth what you paid? I know the acceleration boost is awesome (I got to test drive both versions over time), otherwise I wouldn't even be considering it, but it still leaves me unsure.

Also, there's a tiny itch for me to just go all in on a Model X instead (performance mode if Im spending that much for the car anyway). I love the murdered out look with the carbon fiber and black interior of the X. But hearing some of the stories of how hard parts are to get for that car it just seem so chaotic. Hoping the Model 3 will be a bit easier with Elon finally talking about the SC's needing a big improvement. I know right now for any car its basically SOL with lots of things regarding SC.

Basically, Im really torn and would love to hear everyones opinions between the two cars, and their upgrade options.

The question I keep going back and forth on is if the performance $10k upgrade is worth it. For anyone that has the performance model, do you consider it worth what you paid? I know the acceleration boost is awesome (I got to test drive both versions over time), otherwise I wouldn't even be considering it, but it still leaves me unsure.

I purchased Performance simply for the track-ability of the car. The upgraded brakes and track mode being major reasons specifically. The speed you get from the AWD version is still pretty darn good, so you could definitely save $10K and get AWD but you wouldn't have track mode.

I purchased Performance simply for the track-ability of the car. The upgraded brakes and track mode being major reasons specifically. The speed you get from the AWD version is still pretty darn good, so you could definitely save $10K and get AWD but you wouldn't have track mode.

For me, I dont really see myself ever using track mode. Im not really into that side of cars, even though Im sure its really fun to have, I just dont picture myself ever really using it (or I know I wouldn't miss that feature if I didnt have it). So its almost on the lines of Im paying the 10K just for the acceleration improvement, since the other features dont really affect me. Im just stuck in that "what if I do regret it" limbo. I know theres rumors of performance mode being maybe an upgradeable option down the road, but cant rely on that I guess.

This will be different for everyone, but for me personally it was 100% worth it. If I didn't get the performance I would constantly be kicking myself. I LOVE the acceleration in this thing, totally worth the extra cash and loss in range.

Thats exactly what Im afraid of. I guess its that FOMO mentality. I wish there was any confirmation of performance being upgradable later. I personally dont care about the 20" tires, spoiler, etc. I can get my better picks of stuff like that down the road if I wanted. Its just that speed I cant get later. I know the numbers aren't a huge different, but still haha.

This has been asked and answered a half million times already. Here are the things to consider:

• Will you be bringing the car to the track regularly?
  • Are you okay sacrificing normal every day range (15%) for track mode?
  • Are you willing to pay for very expensive premium parts?
  • Do you have the self control to not drive like a maniac on public roads?
  • Are you willing to replace the more expensive tires more frequently?
  • Do you live where the roads are rough and rutted? Sidewalls on the 20" tires are very thin and easily damaged.
  • Replacing a flat tire is $300-400 each, and there are people that have already replaced all 4 due to nails, curbs, pot holes, etc.
  • Would you save money by just buying a brake upgrade instead of the Performance package?

These are pretty much the questions you'll need to answer for yourself. If you find that you take longer trips or don't have regular access to your own charger, then the efficiency loss of the Performance package may be a big inconvenience to you. If you live where there are rough roads, you're going to constantly be replacing tires and likely replacing wheels. A set of all four wheels with tires mounted it $4000, so damaging a wheel is probably going to be a pretty expensive mistake. Also, since you can't rotate the tires on the P3D, you're going to need to replace them more frequently even though there will be perfectly good sections of tread on them.

Also, have you ever driven a performance vehicle before? If not, then there's really no need to go crazy here. Buying the performance package just for the random occasion you can use the faster acceleration on public streets really doesn't make any sense. Losing your license for doing 60 in a 30 MPH zone isn't really a good way to spend a year, especially with an expensive car parked in your spot.

I guess in summary I'd say it doesn't look like you plan to go to a race track with the car, so you're not likely to get much benefit from the track package. But you are likely to experience the costs associated with it.

Although I love the acceleration, if I had to do it over again today, I would NOT get the Performance version.
In all reality, I would get the LR rear wheel drive, if it were available.
The only reason I bought the Performance was at the time, I get unlimited Surpercharging for the life of the vehicle.
There are so many other benefits of Teslas, the smooth drive, Semi-autonomous driving, environmental benefits, silent driving, etc, that I would not miss the Performance at all.
We also have an X, 90D and I do not miss the Performance/Ludicrous at all. All Teslas are quick!

It sounds like you are in a situation where you don't need the performance, and you don't need the money, so you can safely go either way. It's just a question of which direction you will be happiest.

How much you enjoy the performance, and how much you enjoy saving money, are really personal things that nobody else can decide for you. Some people have the base model and think those that bought a Performance are stupid; some have the Performance and think those that bought a base model are missing out. We can't tell you which camp you will fall in.

Although, psychologically speaking, I think Lifeinabox has it. Usually the painful part of spending money is spending it, and then there's no more pain after it's gone (unless you have trouble paying the mortgage or buying food; but if that was likely to be the case, I don't think you'd be considering a Performance X). But the performance is going to be with you every time you drive the car.

For what it's worth, I had a base 3, but switched to a Performance. And I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wenkan
I personally dont care about the 20" tires, spoiler, etc. I can get my better picks of stuff like that down the road if I wanted.

Yeah, it's a shame they don't offer the stealth P3D at this point for people like you. I saved the $5k (and got the check for $5k back even) knowing I could get my own breaks, rims and spoiler. I'm not a fan of the 20" wheels (nor rims) so the stealth was a great buy for me.

Tesla makes 3 models and many trims to fit most people's needs and wants. Some people need Performance while others like me think it's a waste. I also dislike Model S and hate Model X but others disagree. It's up to you to decide.

Soon they will have Model Y and Pickups for other people's needs and wants. Maybe the Pickup while holding a Model 3 performance in it's bed will be faster than a Model 3 performance.

Just plan for the future and see what fits for you. If I was you, I would save the $10k and use that as the closing cost for a future home.

This has been asked and answered a half million times already. Here are the things to consider:

• Will you be bringing the car to the track regularly?
  • Are you okay sacrificing normal every day range (15%) for track mode?
  • Are you willing to pay for very expensive premium parts?
  • Do you have the self control to not drive like a maniac on public roads?
  • Are you willing to replace the more expensive tires more frequently?
  • Do you live where the roads are rough and rutted? Sidewalls on the 20" tires are very thin and easily damaged.
  • Replacing a flat tire is $300-400 each, and there are people that have already replaced all 4 due to nails, curbs, pot holes, etc.
  • Would you save money by just buying a brake upgrade instead of the Performance package?

These are pretty much the questions you'll need to answer for yourself. If you find that you take longer trips or don't have regular access to your own charger, then the efficiency loss of the Performance package may be a big inconvenience to you. If you live where there are rough roads, you're going to constantly be replacing tires and likely replacing wheels. A set of all four wheels with tires mounted it $4000, so damaging a wheel is probably going to be a pretty expensive mistake. Also, since you can't rotate the tires on the P3D, you're going to need to replace them more frequently even though there will be perfectly good sections of tread on them.

Also, have you ever driven a performance vehicle before? If not, then there's really no need to go crazy here. Buying the performance package just for the random occasion you can use the faster acceleration on public streets really doesn't make any sense. Losing your license for doing 60 in a 30 MPH zone isn't really a good way to spend a year, especially with an expensive car parked in your spot.

I guess in summary I'd say it doesn't look like you plan to go to a race track with the car, so you're not likely to get much benefit from the track package. But you are likely to experience the costs associated with it.

This actually gave me a lot of insights that I had in my head, but seeing it written out opened my eyes much more. I knew that the costs would be higher with the performance parts, but I didn't consider as many as you listed here (especially their costs). This definitely helped a lot, so thank you for this.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Yeah, it's a shame they don't offer the stealth P3D at this point for people like you. I saved the $5k (and got the check for $5k back even) knowing I could get my own breaks, rims and spoiler. I'm not a fan of the 20" wheels (nor rims) so the stealth was a great buy for me.

What was different with the stealth? Im assuming its just blacked out rims? I wish there was a third option to replace the wood panelling with something black (or even carbon fiber like the performance X). Thats one reason I was considering not going for performance, and spend part of that 10k on interior things Id maybe want different down the road.

What was different with the stealth? Im assuming its just blacked out rims? I wish there was a third option to replace the wood panelling with something black (or even carbon fiber like the performance X). Thats one reason I was considering not going for performance, and spend part of that 10k on interior things Id maybe want different down the road.

Stealth was basically the AWD car, but with performance speed. So it didn't have upgraded brakes, wheels, suspension or the spoiler (or track mode!) and was $5K less than performance.

If you want an upgraded interior, you could buy the AWD car and then spend some money on modifications (tons of vendors at this point) to make your car unique. You'd basically have $10K to spend on mods! I'd suggest nice wheels/tires, lowered suspension and some carbon interior accents - which would probably run $6-7K depending on what you get and gives a better look/feel than even a Performance car would.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDabbles
Only you can decide if it’s worth it.

It was a bargain for the Performance Stealth :) $10k - $5k refund net $5k

I got decent range, the boost and no 20” tire/wheel/caliper headaches. No way I’d get it today even with “free wheels”. But I don’t have cool looking wheels.

It’s really a trade off of how much toy vs practicality you want to aim for.

Most everyone would love the range and price (and cost of ownership) of a RWD with Aero’s vs the looks and Performance of a Performance with OEM 20” wheels. Only you can decide.

Performance with 20” OEM wheels/tires cost range, very short tread life, super expensive too, vulnerable to bent rims and limited on alternative tires and rims. But it will handle better on or off the track. For some folks it’s worth it. And some would prefer not get those wheels but won’t give up that performance boost. And will deal with wheels later.

That’s why I got the “Stealth” it was half way in between. But of course no longer available. I’m in snow country and that was a major influence. Today I’d get AWD and maybe 19” wheels if I wanted a sportier look.

Stealth was basically the AWD car, but with performance speed. So it didn't have upgraded brakes, wheels, suspension or the spoiler (or track mode!) and was $5K less than performance is now.

If you want an upgraded interior, you could buy the AWD car and then spend some money on modifications (tons of vendors at this point) to make your car unique. You'd basically have $10K to spend on mods! I'd suggest nice wheels, lowered suspension and some carbon interior accents.

Dang, I wish that was available now. That would be exactly what I'd go for. Shoot, by the time my apartment approves or denies me being able to charge at my garage, they might have a new option rolled out anyway haha.

This actually gave me a lot of insights that I had in my head, but seeing it written out opened my eyes much more. I knew that the costs would be higher with the performance parts, but I didn't consider as many as you listed here (especially their costs). This definitely helped a lot, so thank you for this.

I don't want to convince you not to buy the performance package. I just think it's best to buy it knowing what you're getting into so you don't get surprised or regret it later down the road. I've got the P3D and I love it. But I spend all winter in "Chill" mode, so I don't really get much of the benefit of the Performance package, but I still have the efficiency loss plus the cost of winter wheels to fit better winter tires. Knowing all of that getting into the car made it that much more enjoyable.

I love to give test drives and rides to friends and family. For me the premium for the 3.3 second 0-60mph is totally worth it just for the passenger reactions. But if it were just me commuting I would have been happy with even the base Model 3.

That was one of the things that had me leaning towards performance, but considering I may use this as a work/travel vehicle (self employed) I'd be putting a lot of miles on it and hearing about the performance tires pretty much locked it in for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte and Atlantan