TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is PPF worth it for a daily driver?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by tentimesodds, Aug 28, 2018.

1. tentimesodds

tentimesodds Member

I commute about 30K miles per year, most of it on a 75mph interstate...my car is going to get chips, dings, dents, etc. Local shop is quoting $1700 for Xcel PPF...is it worth it for a car that is going to get beat up anyway? Thanks

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I love the peace of mind having my 3 wrapped. It makes little rock chips a non-issue and, perhaps even better, it makes washing it a breeze. No worries about scratches and swirls. And, I've posted about this before, but thanks to the PPF, a scrape in a parking garage last year wiped off in moments with an alcohol prep pad, saving me a bunch of money in body work.

Scrape.jpg

3. JGard

JGard Member

I'm getting my front bumper PPF'ed only, which with all that highway driving you do, I think would give you the best bang for your buck. I've been quoted about $700 to do my front bumper. For the rest, I'll be doing ceramic. Because other than highway rock chips, my cars are most susceptible to parking lot door dings, and PPF isn't going to stop those dents from happening.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

$1700 for how much of the car?

I was quoted 2 options from the guy around here everyone recommends-

Front only (everything forward of the side mirrors)- $1800.... plus another $900 as it'll likely need paint correction to look ok only partly wrapped with PPF.

Or $4000 to do entire car, and no need for the paint correction.

Entire car seems to make more sense based on those numbers.

5. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I’m planning hood (bird poop, swirls) and trunk (wife sets stuff on back of her current car + bird poop).

Figure bumper cover will get beat up either way.

6. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

For a daily driver with that many miles, it's absolutely worth it. If you get any winter weather, I'd seriously consider doing the whole car. Otherwise the front half should be all you'd need.

7. tentimesodds

tentimesodds Member

It was $1700 for the full front (full hood, bumper, fenders, rear view mirrors).

8. tentimesodds

tentimesodds Member

I hear you, but 4 grand or more is an absolute ton of money...even on a $60k car. We get a bit of winter weather here.

The other thing is that I don't have a garage at present, so park in my driveway outside.

9. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Yeah it’s definitely a lot of $. A big investment towards an even bigger investment. Perhaps front half PPF and Modesta BC08 on the whole car. Would be marginally less expensive and offer protection for the whole car.

10. eyespii

eyespii Member

"Worth" is subjective. You will not get $1700 more when you sell your car with PPF. Rock chips will not materially affect a car's resale value. Also, PPF does not prevent dings/dents.

Think about the last daily driver car that you owned for at least 5 years. Did you notice a ton of rock chips in the bumper and hood? If yes, did it bother you? If yes, would you have spent $1700 for someone to fix those rock chips? If yes, then PPF is most certainly worth it. If no, save your $1700, and embrace the chips!

• Like x 2
  11. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

Based on my last car, which had the nose PPF’d but nothing else and had a LOT of rock chips up the unprotected part of the hood, I’d HIGHLY recommend doing at least the entire front of the car up to the windshield. You’ll thank yourself later.

12. ba2002

ba2002 Member

Will the PPF do nothing to stop door dings?

On my current tesla, all my door "dings" just look like paint chips - I think PPF would have prevented them.

13. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

PPF might have saved the paint, but you'd likely still have the dents.

14. ba2002

ba2002 Member

yeah that was my point tho - there is no dent. It's more like a door chip instead of a ding.

15. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Ah. Hmm. PPF probably would have saved the doors then. Really hard to say, honestly, but I'd say yes.

16. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

Yes the film would take most of the damage. So this happened to me today, got out of the grocery store and someone scraped my bumper. It looked terrible, like this.

hurt-8-28-2018.jpg

I poured warm water over it to see if I could clean it up, or if the PPF would self heal. Nothing came off, I thought for sure my paint was ruined. So I drove to my detailer to have him take a look at it. He applied a solvent and wiped it off clean, like nothing had happened.

PPF-ftw.jpg

I was amazed and relieved. My PPF covered bumper paid off just a month and half after I had it done. So to people wondering if they should have PPF, I recommend it. At the very least you should get your front bumper protected because out of all areas of my car, the bumper is taking the most rocks, bugs, and inconsiderate bad drivers.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. eyespii

eyespii Member

Now that...that's worth $1700 to me! Nice one.

18. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

what was the solvent?

19. OptAdam

OptAdam Member

On a daily driver it is absolutely worth it.

If you get Opti-coat PPF along with Opti-coat Pro+ you get a 10 year warranty on it.

20. brobinson

brobinson Member

Its entirely subjective. You're right. Every car on the road will get little dings, chips, scratches, etc...

PPF will help with that stuff, but I can't imagine the hefty investment EVER being returned when selling the car in 5-7 years.

Routine trips to the detailer will keep the finish healthy and swirls/clear coat scratches to a minimum.