Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is PPF worth it for a daily driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the peace of mind having my 3 wrapped. It makes little rock chips a non-issue and, perhaps even better, it makes washing it a breeze. No worries about scratches and swirls. And, I've posted about this before, but thanks to the PPF, a scrape in a parking garage last year wiped off in moments with an alcohol prep pad, saving me a bunch of money in body work.

Scrape.jpg

I'm getting my front bumper PPF'ed only, which with all that highway driving you do, I think would give you the best bang for your buck. I've been quoted about $700 to do my front bumper. For the rest, I'll be doing ceramic. Because other than highway rock chips, my cars are most susceptible to parking lot door dings, and PPF isn't going to stop those dents from happening.

$1700 for how much of the car?

I was quoted 2 options from the guy around here everyone recommends-

Front only (everything forward of the side mirrors)- $1800.... plus another $900 as it'll likely need paint correction to look ok only partly wrapped with PPF.

Or $4000 to do entire car, and no need for the paint correction.

Entire car seems to make more sense based on those numbers.

For a daily driver with that many miles, it's absolutely worth it. If you get any winter weather, I'd seriously consider doing the whole car. Otherwise the front half should be all you'd need.
I hear you, but 4 grand or more is an absolute ton of money...even on a $60k car. We get a bit of winter weather here.

The other thing is that I don't have a garage at present, so park in my driveway outside.

Reactions: Reborn
Yeah it’s definitely a lot of $. A big investment towards an even bigger investment. Perhaps front half PPF and Modesta BC08 on the whole car. Would be marginally less expensive and offer protection for the whole car.

I commute about 30K miles per year, most of it on a 75mph interstate...my car is going to get chips, dings, dents, etc. Local shop is quoting $1700 for Xcel PPF...is it worth it for a car that is going to get beat up anyway? Thanks

"Worth" is subjective. You will not get $1700 more when you sell your car with PPF. Rock chips will not materially affect a car's resale value. Also, PPF does not prevent dings/dents.

Think about the last daily driver car that you owned for at least 5 years. Did you notice a ton of rock chips in the bumper and hood? If yes, did it bother you? If yes, would you have spent $1700 for someone to fix those rock chips? If yes, then PPF is most certainly worth it. If no, save your $1700, and embrace the chips!

Based on my last car, which had the nose PPF’d but nothing else and had a LOT of rock chips up the unprotected part of the hood, I’d HIGHLY recommend doing at least the entire front of the car up to the windshield. You’ll thank yourself later.

Yes the film would take most of the damage. So this happened to me today, got out of the grocery store and someone scraped my bumper. It looked terrible, like this.

hurt-8-28-2018.jpg

I poured warm water over it to see if I could clean it up, or if the PPF would self heal. Nothing came off, I thought for sure my paint was ruined. So I drove to my detailer to have him take a look at it. He applied a solvent and wiped it off clean, like nothing had happened.

PPF-ftw.jpg

I was amazed and relieved. My PPF covered bumper paid off just a month and half after I had it done. So to people wondering if they should have PPF, I recommend it. At the very least you should get your front bumper protected because out of all areas of my car, the bumper is taking the most rocks, bugs, and inconsiderate bad drivers.

Yes the film would take most of the damage. So this happened to me today, got out of the grocery store and someone scraped my bumper. It looked terrible, like this.

View attachment 329968

I poured warm water over it to see if I could clean it up, or if the PPF would self heal. Nothing came off, I thought for sure my paint was ruined. So I drove to my detailer to have him take a look at it. He applied a solvent and wiped it off clean, like nothing had happened.

View attachment 329969

I was amazed and relieved. My PPF covered bumper paid off just a month and half after I had it done. So to people wondering if they should have PPF, I recommend it. At the very least you should get your front bumper protected because out of all areas of my car, the bumper is taking the most rocks, bugs, and inconsiderate bad drivers.

Now that...that's worth $1700 to me! Nice one.

Its entirely subjective. You're right. Every car on the road will get little dings, chips, scratches, etc...

PPF will help with that stuff, but I can't imagine the hefty investment EVER being returned when selling the car in 5-7 years.

Routine trips to the detailer will keep the finish healthy and swirls/clear coat scratches to a minimum.

Reactions: TBrownTX