Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla replacing ghosting windshields?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently test drove a 2016 model X overnight. I did not notice any ghosting.

I have astigmatism and I am very sensitive to ghosting at night because everything I see, when I don't wear glasses, has ghosting at night. I did not have any issue when I test drove the car.

Maybe the problem was fixed or limited to an initial batch of windshield

I didn't notice mine either the first couple days of ownership. Then I changed my seating position and now every pair of headlights I see has a set of lighted eyebrows.

I've been hunting for that first spot for a while now. :(

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby
We drove a silver loner out of Newport Beach yesterday (bizarre vehicle - it was AP2 equipped, a 60kWh pack, w/ adjustable spoiler & ventilated leather) . It was extreamly minimal on ghosting. Both driver & passenger hunted as many potential seating positions imaginable & the minimal amount of ghosting was consistent in each conceivable driving line of sight. Imo, if that's the bottom ghosting threshold, then it's no wonder some owners don't even know they have it. If anything, it's very apparent there is an inconsistent quality control element going on.

• Helpful
Someone mentioned this in another thread, but the ghosting issue is caused by where your eyes are in relation to your windshield.

If your eyes seem to be in line with where the windshield curves into the roofline ghosting occurs due to different angles of light going into your eyes.

I had the ghosting issue when I raised my seat, fixed it by lowering my seat position.

I remember the Poster also posted that he knew of a Jeep model with ghosting due to the windshield having too much curve.

Here is an article on the topic:

Why Tesla’s Model X Is Giving Some Drivers Double Vision

• Informative
So I roughly sketched the angle of the S compared to X and it seems like the X should have less ghosting. The angle seems slightly higher for the X. In my case ghosting on the X is brighter and higher, but it should be similar or the other way around.
Blue is X, red is S. Images were taken from the Tesla website and are not of real cars.
I don't have any proof for this, but it's entirely possible that the S and X have different windshields composition. For example, they are made with entirely different layers, and the X sandwich composition is more prone to ghosting.

Some reported differences between S and X is that later model S windshields block RF transmission (eg transponders) whereas no one owning an X has reported this behavior. Ghosting is reported with the X, but not so much with S.

Therefore, while the windshield angle is key to the ghosting problem, it only applies to the X due to the way the X windshield is built. I still believe that ghosting can be minimized by improving production QA. Probably something to do with minimizing gaps between layers.

Just took delivery of our Model X yesterday, built the week of March 13th. Only very minimal ghosting. Less than my Model S. My wife and I both are tall and even with the seats set low still look through the upper part if the windshield.

On a different note, the tint on the upper half of the window seems much darker and extends lower down the windshield than the two X's we test drove in December. It actually intrudes down into where I look through when driving, everything looks darker, and the panoramic effect overall is less pronounced. Could just be misremembering though. Need to compare side by side with an older X to say there's any difference for sure.

Just took delivery of our Model X yesterday, built the week of March 13th. Only very minimal ghosting. Less than my Model S. My wife and I both are tall and even with the seats set low still look through the upper part if the windshield.

On a different note, the tint on the upper half of the window seems much darker and extends lower down the windshield than the two X's we test drove in December. It actually intrudes down into where I look through when driving, everything looks darker, and the panoramic effect overall is less pronounced. Could just be misremembering though. Need to compare side by side with an older X to say there's any difference for sure.
My X is only 2 weeks old and I agree - the tinted section comes down pretty low. I often comment that I wish it were a little less tinted as I love seeing buildings and everything else through the upper sections.

My wife made an interesting observation - she felt awkward driving the X in the beginning like she couldn't find a comfortable seating position then commented that it's because driving the X is like sitting with your seat waaaay forward on a regular car so your head is right up to the windshield. Kind of true - it does feel like that.

my wife put it a different way -
Referring to her Model X, she's used to being able to see the hood on her prior car & can't see it at all on the X. Thus, it won't surprise me if there is curb rash on her, not-too-distant Horizon.
I'm surprised this "feature" isn't mentioned more often. At first I found it really weird not being able to see the hood, but I'm getting used to it. But I really miss being able to use the hood crease to triangulate the right-wheel position.

I've seen several iterations of the device below. some will mount just one - on one front corner,
ext-markerpole03.jpg

& this version mounts off a license plate frame. it's definitely not my style, but for some .... they say it prevents a few parking lot dings here & there

• Funny
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
My X is only 2 weeks old and I agree - the tinted section comes down pretty low. I often comment that I wish it were a little less tinted as I love seeing buildings and everything else through the upper sections.

I agree, I wish the tint started a little higher up. Of course I just got mine and it's not summer yet so I might change my mind then :D

As for ghosting, I haven't noticed any yet and I've been looking for it!

I have a small rock chip/crack in my windshield that the glass place was able to put some glue in to stop it spreading but not make it go away. As it is a very small area and seems not to get worse, I have decided to live with it until new Model X windshields start showing up consistently with no ghosting. So all the new owners reports are very helpful. Thank you for both positive and negative reports.

Reactions: Mike M
Took delivery of my X a week ago, noticed ghosting that night. My guess is those that don't notice it have their vision centered at a lower point in the windshield. I set my seat high so I can keep domain over the hood and the effect is pretty bad at night.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
Took delivery of my X a week ago, noticed ghosting that night. My guess is those that don't notice it have their vision centered at a lower point in the windshield. I set my seat high so I can keep domain over the hood and the effect is pretty bad at night.
I don't think so, I ducked to look from a low point of view and the ghosting is still pretty severe for me.
I also see it not just at night but during the day and other such dim conditions (like evenings) when headlights of other cars look bright.

I don't think so, I ducked to look from a low point of view and the ghosting is still pretty severe for me.
I also see it not just at night but during the day and other such dim conditions (like evenings) when headlights of other cars look bright.

I bet you will even see it when the sun reflects of car windows.