Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla replacing ghosting windshields?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ghosting is an issue Tesla cannot solve easily, its caused by behavior of light as it enters/leaves a thick piece of glass.

If you look through the windscreen of the X at a straight line in the distance your notice as you move your head the straight line will change or appear to move slightly as you move your head..... The windscreen is so massive the view you get is actually distorted slightly all the time. The reason headlights/directly reflections from sunlight is worse is because the source of light is coming straight at you and therefore any refraction is more clearly obvious.

I can see it on our X, and it'll be there on every X. But it really doesn't bother me, don't forget our 'view' of the world is an abstract construction anyways. Our brains post process the very limited image the retina produces to form the 'vision' we perceive as real. I don't even notice 'ghosting' on our X anymore, not unless I choose to look for it and focus on it :).

ole3.gif

Thank you for the detailed response. I suppose there is no escaping for it for now, but just curious to know if a MX has ghosting, will all drivers (irrespective of their height) experience the same patterns or does it change?

• Love
Reactions: Magus
I recently had my Model X windshield replaced (the original one that came with my new X delivered end of March developed a small crack at the bottom). The new windshield that was installed as a replacement seems a little weird to me, but I could be wrong. The GOOD thing is that the new windshield exhibits minimal ghosting, much less than the original windshield that came with my X. The WEIRD thing, however, is that it appears that the windshield is distorted/blurry only on the left edge and right edge of the glass. It's a bit weird, so let me explain. The effect that I am seeing is similar to the effect that you would see when an ICE car's engine is hot and has been running for a while on a hot day. Sometimes you can see that the view through the windshield can become blurry or distorted when the ICE car is like this from fumes, etc. This is the similar/same effect that I see only when I look towards the right side of the windshield from the driver's seat, and similarly when I look to the left side of the windshield when sitting from the passenger's seat, but mainly when I move my head side to side I can see the image blurry a bit. When looking straight from the right or left (when sitting on those sides) you don't see any distortion or blur effect at all. I am wondering if this has something to do with the newer windshields to address ghosting since I see less of the effect vs. the previous one? I drove by the service center and checked out one of the loaner Xs, and I could see the same effect. It doesn't bother me much, but was just curious if anyone else noticed this. It's more visible in bright sunlight vs. at night.

So they replaced because of the small crack. Did you had a feeling that they would they have replaced it even if there was no crack, just based on the terrible ghosting you had? Also the amount of ghosting that you experienced, was it the same amount that the Tesla experienced (basically is it windshield dependent or driver's height dependent, if it makes sense). I drove a MX overnight few days back and honestly did not realize the ghosting until the second day. I did not see any ghosting with the traffic lights - just the SUVs (maybe due to certain angle and height of Land Rover). I did not pay attention to the blurry part - maybe I was more focused on other aspects of MX. The amount of ghosting that I experienced was not bothersome but then you don't know what you will get when your MX is delivered. It can be more or less.

I did not notice it until the last moment when I was on a narrow street with cars too close to each other and even then it was for SUVs only (maybe the height had something to do with it).

I drove a MX overnight few days back and honestly did not realize the ghosting until the second day. I did not see any ghosting with the traffic lights - just the SUVs (maybe due to certain angle and height of Land Rover).

I think ghosting is more pronounced for LED (mainly tail lights) and halogen (headlights) lights - and substantially less for other light sources.

Reactions: vandacca
So they replaced because of the small crack. Did you had a feeling that they would they have replaced it even if there was no crack, just based on the terrible ghosting you had? Also the amount of ghosting that you experienced, was it the same amount that the Tesla experienced (basically is it windshield dependent or driver's height dependent, if it makes sense). I drove a MX overnight few days back and honestly did not realize the ghosting until the second day. I did not see any ghosting with the traffic lights - just the SUVs (maybe due to certain angle and height of Land Rover). I did not pay attention to the blurry part - maybe I was more focused on other aspects of MX. The amount of ghosting that I experienced was not bothersome but then you don't know what you will get when your MX is delivered. It can be more or less.

No, I think they only replaced it due to the crack.

I just have had annual service done. But SC never even talked about ghosted windshield, even though it was reported. Seems like, they don't have any clue about it. Day time driving is no problem, but in night time, it is really bothersome. Further the light source is, worse the ghosting. With multiple light sources, it is really tough to drive at night. You can get used to of that after a while, but for a $100000 plus vehicle, this is not acceptable. hope, Elon Musk would find some solution to this soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Raincloud and Cowby
my wife put it a different way -
Referring to her Model X, she's used to being able to see the hood on her prior car & can't see it at all on the X. Thus, it won't surprise me if there is curb rash on her, not-too-distant Horizon.

Two weeks after I got mine, I did scuff my wheel against a curb. Normally, the sensors pick up how far away the curb is, so not seeing it for myself is a non issue, but this particular time the curb was very low. I just caught a little edge to it, and it's really not noticeable... just annoyed that I did it!

So couple of nights ago I test drove the MX that I was planning to purchase. Thankfully the ghosting was very negligible. You had to specifically look for it to notice it. This thread was very helpful and I appreciate everyones contributions. I completed my purchase yesterday and brought it home.

Reactions: T3xrr and hill
So couple of nights ago I test drove the MX that I was planning to purchase. Thankfully the ghosting was very negligible. You had to specifically look for it to notice it. This thread was very helpful and I appreciate everyones contributions. I completed my purchase yesterday and brought it home.
What? You specifically looked for it? Now you can't unseen it...

After some driving yesterday I am now pretty sure the new windshield is worse than the original one.
The separation is about the same, but brightness of the reflection is actually higher on the new one.
Before I could just see sun reflection and headlights in overcast conditions.
Now I can see whole cars duplicated even in bright sun, also headlights are now duplicating in full sun too.

Ok, I got another new windshield, specifically requested the new part number as discussed in How common is ghosting? and this is the best windshield I had yet.
I cannot identify any ghosting during the day (other than a small area at the far right of it, but that's actually there on all Teslas, including model S loaners I had) - I was looking so hard I think my eyes are playing with me.
In just a few long hours there's going to be dark outside and I plan to give it a try at night for a final confirmation.

So it looks like 1105964-00-B is the one to have (or later revisions, I guess).
They seem to tend to order whatever you had on your car so this part appears to be important.

So tired of that problem. I'm supposedly on a "list" since last summer, and the issue is supposedly under investigation.

Here good video to see it live:
Good to see that video circulating around, my son took it in our 90D. Tesla performed a test on that very windshield in the video and deemed it "within tolerance" and would not replace it. Since it's summer and the days are long I let go of it for now, but when the days get shorter I am sure it will drive me crazy again. :rolleyes: