Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Ripping Off Customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In shopping around for a MX for my wife, I came across 2 window stickers that surely raised my eyebrows.
Normally I consider myself quite smart, but in this case I feel I need a little bit of help understanding. Can someone please explain. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Both vehicles are MX 90D. Both are manufactured 05/2016. Yes they have mostly similar upgrades. BUT WHAT'S UP WITH THE EXTRA $15,500 for a 90KWh battery on the Silver 90D vs "Included" on the Pearl White 90D???

I thought a 90D is a 90D because the 90KWh battery is already "included"?

Please look closely at the window stickers I attached.

I could be wrong but either one guy got really lucky or the other guy was seriously ripped off $15,500?

#TESLAPRICEGATE ?? (lol)

(added a better pdf of the silver car window sticker - clearer to see)

Attachments

• IMG_3959.png
    IMG_3959.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
  • image3960.png
    image3960.png
    231.1 KB · Views: 156
  • image2015-04-29-121345 (1) (1).pdf
    500.1 KB · Views: 83
Ask Tesla directly for the sticker and you will likely find that since the car is being sold by a non-Tesla stealership, the scummy used car seller likely modified the Monroney sticker to misrepresent the original price.

It doesn't make a difference. For example, with the Model 3 Long Range, you can display the price either this way:

Model 3 base version: $35,000
Long Range battery: $9,000
Total: $44,000

Or you can display it this way:
Model 3 Long Range: $44,000

Tesla happened to select the first option. Here is the window sticker. However, in the future, they might change it to the second option. It doesn't make a difference. Whether a variant is considered a sub-configuration or an independent configuration, changes based on sales numbers and sales expectations. If Tesla expects a variant to sell more than 66% before they launch it, they can consider it the main configuration and the other variants with the same motor power would be sub-configurations. But later of it turns out that a sub configuration sells more than 33%, then it needs to be considered an independent configuration. It's just some meaningless technicality. It's not important.

Last edited:
Troy, Thanks for responding buy frankly I'm not sure where you're going with this - both vehicles have the same base price and the numbers add up. The only thing that doesn't add up is why one vehicle costs $15K more than the other with similar configuration.

bhzmark's explanation makes more sense, however people that shop for tesla's are generally pretty savvy so I dont see why a reputable dealership would ruin their reputation doctoring a Monroney sticker. I've never seen such a thing before.

In shopping around for a MX for my wife, I came across 2 window stickers that surely raised my eyebrows.
Normally I consider myself quite smart, but in this case I feel I need a little bit of help understanding. Can someone please explain. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Both vehicles are MX 90D. Both are manufactured 05/2016. Yes they have mostly similar upgrades. BUT WHAT'S UP WITH THE EXTRA $15,500 for a 90KWh battery on the Silver 90D vs "Included" on the Pearl White 90D???

I thought a 90D is a 90D because the 90KWh battery is already "included"?

Please look closely at the window stickers I attached.

I could be wrong but either one guy got really lucky or the other guy was seriously ripped off $15,500?

#TESLAPRICEGATE ?? (lol)

(added a better pdf of the silver car window sticker - clearer to see)

@HankLloydRight do you have historical data on these? Wondering if there was a showroom discount between 6 and 7 seat versions.

US, Canada, EU - whats the difference? The bottom line is that it appears one vehicle was charged $15,500 for a 90KWh battery and the other vehicle wasn't.

I see mongo's point there may have been a discount but I don't think it would have been in the form of a "free battery upgrade" on a vehicle that is already sold as a 90D which implies its already a 90KWh car.
I would understand if it were a 70D with a "free" 90KWh upgrade that would "save" $15,500.... but not in this case. Its clearly a 90D in both stickers - and one obviously paid $15,500 more than the other.

What's going on here?
Anyone else have any ideas?

@HankLloydRight do you have historical data on these? Wondering if there was a showroom discount between 6 and 7 seat versions.

I've got nothin'.

The actual price difference is only $8k. Where's the other $7k go?

edit: the only thing I would guess was there was a price change between these two VINs, and they adjusted how the options are displayed on the sticker.

yes - if you compare the 2 vehicle's options, the 7th seat, UHF sound, High Amp Charger, and Subzero - that a total of $15,500 difference which is exactly the charge of the battery "upgrade"

Still stumps me....

anyone else???

While I'm prone to jokes about "Showroom Adjustments" and all that, IMO this seems more likely some clerical error, an unusual car (e.g. for a different market) or a change in the way options have been listed at a particular time resulting in the difference, than a "gate" of some kind...

An interesting anomaly still, as a sleuthing exercise. :)

Isn't A and B the restraint difference for knee airbags, i.e. the difference between U.S. and EU.

Tesla VIN-Decoder certainly seems to say so.

Wait, I'm still confused. The official VIN decoder has only four option for 5,6,7, and 5 seats :
Digit 6: Restraint System
1= Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
A = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
B = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*2, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
D= Type 2 Manual Seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags. PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)

It looks like TeslaTap shortened the B entry. Or am I missing something?