Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla trying to get minimize sales of X Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually wondering how many Model X Long Range are being sold at this point. We know that 6 seater arrangement is the most popular. When you add up the 6 seater option on the Long Range, it is only $3500 cheaper than the Plaid! At that point I would think most are choosing the Plaid.

Why would Tesla do that? There should be a bigger price differentiation. Plus isn't the actual cost for Tesla to make the Plaid over the Long Range more than $3500? You would think Tesla is profiting more from selling Long Range at this point.

At this point it seems the only Long Range sales are for people that want the 5/7 seater arrangement.

Reactions: James Cole
I'm actually wondering how many Model X Long Range are being sold at this point. We know that 6 seater arrangement is the most popular. When you add up the 6 seater option on the Long Range, it is only $3500 cheaper than the Plaid! At that point I would think most are choosing the Plaid.

Why would Tesla do that? There should be a bigger price differentiation. Plus isn't the actual cost for Tesla to make the Plaid over the Long Range more than $3500? You would think Tesla is profiting more from selling Long Range at this point.

At this point it seems the only Long Range sales are for people that want the 5/7 seater arrangement.
I think the 7 seater is the most popular based on threads here. I also it is probably the most versatile since you can fold the second row down flat and get a lot of rear storage for runs to the hardware store, etc. Personally, I would never get a 6-seater since you can't get a flat surface for putting things in the back and I rarely have people in the mid seats. I went with the 5-seater to save money and get the flat surface in the back.

Do we actually "know" the 6-seat arrangement is the most popular? It also feels to me the 5 and 7 seat variants have their proponents, especially among people who want to use their X to haul cargo.

The difference in pricing between the LR X 6-seat and Plaid is pretty odd...the Plaid looks like a steal in comparison at first glimpse. The downsides to the Plaid are: 22" wheels (tires don't last as long, maybe harder ride) and slightly less range. Depending on what each buyer's priorities are, the difference in performance may or may not be worth the price difference plus the disadvantages.

Bruce.

Do we actually "know" the 6-seat arrangement is the most popular? It also feels to me the 5 and 7 seat variants have their proponents, especially among people who want to use their X to haul cargo.

The difference in pricing between the LR X 6-seat and Plaid is pretty odd...the Plaid looks like a steal in comparison at first glimpse. The downsides to the Plaid are: 22" wheels (tires don't last as long, maybe harder ride) and slightly less range. Depending on what each buyer's priorities are, the difference in performance may or may not be worth the price difference plus the disadvantages.

Bruce.
Plaid comes standard with 20s but the 22s definitely look better (imo).

I think the 7 seater is the most popular based on threads here. I also it is probably the most versatile since you can fold the second row down flat and get a lot of rear storage for runs to the hardware store, etc. Personally, I would never get a 6-seater since you can't get a flat surface for putting things in the back and I rarely have people in the mid seats. I went with the 5-seater to save money and get the flat surface in the back.
Totally agree. We have the 7 seater LR. Need the bench seat for 2 dogs. Also need fold flat for dog crates, large items, sometimes bikes.

I would have bought Plaid as 7 seater but not as 6 seater. I don’t get why people like the 6 seater. The 3rd row back seats still aren’t great - not for adults. Plus no trunk with them up. For me they would be folded down at which point I would have a large 4 seater with decent trunk and no fold flat.

Last edited:
Have to admit if I was buying today I would really be torn between the LR 7 seater and Plaid 6 seater. The price is very close. It's a trade-off of functionality v. speed. Although the LR is still very fast, as fast as a Lamborghini Urus.

Back when I bought it the $20k difference and the loss of functionality of the Plaid made the decision easier.

I really dont get what Tesla is doing. Keep the price at least $10k apart, not $3500. Also offer ALL configurations on the Plaid if they want more Plaid sales.

ALSO give us LR owners a BOOST upgrade....750hp, $5k-$10k for those of us that wanted a bit more but not willing to sacrifice for the 6 seater Plaid.

Someone needs to advise Tesla!

Last edited:
I know Tesla had way more days inventory of the Model X than other models, maybe they had/have too many LR 6 seaters? Just a guess. We do know they set pricing to move inventory/production over maximizing profitability.

Reactions: BitJam
I know Tesla had way more days inventory of the Model X than other models, maybe they had/have too many LR 6 seaters? Just a guess. We do know they set pricing to move inventory/production over maximizing profitability.
Too many LR 6 seaters, well the way to sell them is not to price the Plaid only $3500 more. I think maybe you meant too many Plaid 6 seaters? That could make sense.

It's funny the LR used to have the largest shortage last year. The Plaid was easily available but the LR was like 6+ month wait.

Now a days, people that want the 6 seater and getting the Plaid are getting a steal! Think about the intro prices of LR at $90k and Plaid at $120k, a $30k difference. Now only a $3500 difference! Their prices fluctuate like stock prices. It certainly doesn't make a lot of people feel very good paying $30k more than the LR where now it's almost the same price.

Tesla originally told us the Plaid would only be 6 seater because of streamlining production. Now that there is plenty of inventory why not add in the 5/7 seat in the Plaid?

Last edited:
I'm not sure but around my area (SoCal), my exact build (MX 5 seater white with black interior 20" wheels) is not available in inventory. I used to be able to see 1-3 of these but not recently. Either people are buying them or they're not making as much 5 seater. I had to get the 5 seater since I have two doggies but I really did want the Plaid. Hopefully one day they will come out with a Plaid 5 seater.

Reactions: Kan-O-Z
A few years ago Musk said they are still producing the S and X mostly for sentimental reasons. More recently he said they update prices based on clearing production.

Therefore I'm not surprised if the prices seem funny or seem to favor one model/trim over another. I would not read anything deep into this.
Sentimental reasons? Every brand needs a “halo” car. It’s not a financial reason but more of a brand elevation and recognition - which then actually helps the sales of the lower models.

If all Tesla produced was model 3s, Tesla brand image would not be very special. They would be known as a mediocre car company with bad quality issues.

Tesla still has an elevated brand image thanks to S and X. I still hear people speak of Tesla with brands like Porsche or Mercedes.

Reactions: henderrj
I think the real question is why it costs $3,000 more for the 6 seat version where you get one less seat (kinda) and the two "captain's chairs" have no adjustability besides sliding forward/back?
Because they are powered similar to the front two seats and also tilt forward. Another problem is there is no armrest. That actually makes it less comfortable than a bench where you can rest your arm and put things like a bag/purse/phone in the middle. You would literally have to have your arms in your lap because of lack of arm rest.

Reactions: Golden Ears
I personally went with the LR because I could get it in either a 5 or 7 seater. The captain chairs are horrible in my opinion from a utility perspective as they cannot fold flat. Even if they cost exactly the same price, I would not get Plaid if it meant captain chairs.

Also, 20" wheel option gives you 5000lbs towing capacity. If you get the 22" option, you go down to 3500lbs.