Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is that a Jaguar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who else is sick of hearing that? Then when you explain it is a Tesla Model S the next question is "Who makes that?"

I have had it for a little over a week and I feel like I am a new ambassador for Tesla. I am sure many of you can relate, but we are mobile advertisers for the car. :smile:

Yeah a guy in my neighborhood thought it was a Maserati at first, though I think that's just the generic "It looks like some fancy car that I don't really know" response as I think Maseratis look quite different (and are ugly in my opinion).

The Jaguar is a more apt comparison as the horizontal chrome bar on the rear hatch that extends into the taillights is a design feature that some Jaguars have and is also not something I can recall seeing on any other brand (besides the Model S, of course).

Is that a Jaguar?
Is that a Maserati?
Is that a prototype?

They all have the same answer: "It's better. It's a production Model S from Tesla Motors in California. Unless you're nuts you'll be buying a Tesla in the next few years."

We had a Jag XF for several years and it does remind one of that car. I have gotten that comment but most people do say Maserati. But I agree with Brianman...I always tell them this is better.

Last edited:
A few months ago, I was stopped at light (Mission & Warm Springs) and a guy rolled down his window and asked me what kind of car it was and who makes it. I responded Tesla and he said he's never heard of it. I was going west bound onto 880 North (in fremont). As you make the turn, there is a large factory with huge letters on the side that say T-E-S-L-A. I just chuckled inside and told him "look right" when you get onto 880. A lot of people (even in this neck of the woods) are entirely unaware of this phenomenon. I guess we just have to keep being ambassadors for the company!

A few months ago, I was stopped at light (Mission & Warm Springs) and a guy rolled down his window and asked me what kind of car it was and who makes it. I responded Tesla and he said he's never heard of it. I was going west bound onto 880 North (in fremont). As you make the turn, there is a large factory with huge letters on the side that say T-E-S-L-A. I just chuckled inside and told him "look right" when you get onto 880. A lot of people (even in this neck of the woods) are entirely unaware of this phenomenon. I guess we just have to keep being ambassadors for the company!

WE are all ambassadors as you say. I get to give the Tesla talk at least twice daily on my travels and enjoy everyone of them. The 'all electric' discussion gets their attention but it is funny how the 'oohs and aahs' come from the touch screen and the front trunk.

I have started carrying copies of the Motor trend and CR reviews/covers. I give the 'younger crowd' the motor trend and the older (my age) crowd the CR one:biggrin:

As much abuse as they take as "frivolous" on the forums at various times, the door handles are the most mentioned thing on the car. They are mentioned in every "newcomer" conversation and I have yet to be the one to bring it up.

As much abuse as they take as "frivolous" on the forums at various times, the door handles are the most mentioned thing on the car. They are mentioned in every "newcomer" conversation and I have yet to be the one to bring it up.

That's been my experience too. The door handles are Tesla's distinguishing feature.

A couple of days ago, I was giving a first ride to members of my family and we saw a neighbor walking on the road. We stopped to say hello, and he asked "what car is that? It looks like a Rolls Royce!"
I explained it was a Tesla, Model S, made in Fremont, CA. And he replied with "Oh so that's a Tesla! Well, I payed for 7500 dollars for your expensive electric car."
Say what? "Yeah. I am a taxpayer, and I have to pay a subsidy for your car just because its green!"
How does one even begin .... must be watching too much Fox News.

A couple of days ago, I was giving a first ride to members of my family and we saw a neighbor walking on the road. We stopped to say hello, and he asked "what car is that? It looks like a Rolls Royce!"
I explained it was a Tesla, Model S, made in Fremont, CA. And he replied with "Oh so that's a Tesla! Well, I payed for 7500 dollars for your expensive electric car."
Say what? "Yeah. I am a taxpayer, and I have to pay a subsidy for your car just because its green!"

Ask him if he has kids, or a mortgage. Then complain about you paying for his house and kids.

There is no good response that can be done in less than 10 minutes than 'thank you, would you like a ride?'

and you have to breathe his car carcinogenic gases that also causes other diseases, and also your neighbor is sending money to countries america enemies whenever refueling his car.