Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 MX LR has the same problem. From day one I felt it so uncomfortable with the headrest as the vibration would transmit to my head and then sunglasses giving me shaking visual. Changing suspension to comfort mode does nothing.

For these vibrations …. Have you guys tried with different ride heights

I was quite annoyed with mine but I have noticed that I get a lot of vibration when I have 4 passengers and luggage vs when I don’t
Yes, I tried all ride height though my car automatically, always goes to "Low" setting. I also tried adjusting the air suspension comfort (?) but doesn't do anything. Tesla service center scheduled another appt for me to bring it back.

Mine’s similar. I also do get constant seatback vibrations on roads as well. Took it to Tesla Service last week and just got it back yesterday. They said they “torqued” the seats and noticed no vibrations. I think vibrations got a tad less but they are still subtly there. I might need to bring it back to them again.

If I was stopped on a yield sign and was accelerating to merge to a road, as soon as I hit ~40mph the seatback vibrates for a split second (similar feeling like the vibration on steering wheel for lane departure warning but not as strong as that). And I also have subtle vibrations on city roads too.

When I get in my other car, Model 3, no vibrations.
Sounds like I am not the only one and it is basically a model X issue. Still puzzled this specific problem, that seems to have no fix, hasn't been reported here more. It is horrible especially if one drives between 30-50 mph for an hour a day - you get these seat vibrations nonstop, to the point that, at least for me, it becomes a hassle to drive the car.

Sounds like I am not the only one and it is basically a model X issue. Still puzzled this specific problem, that seems to have no fix, hasn't been reported here more. It is horrible especially if one drives between 30-50 mph for an hour a day - you get these seat vibrations nonstop, to the point that, at least for me, it becomes a hassle to drive the car.

Why not try the sway bar solution and report back if it helped, it seems to have reasonable cost and diy-able?

I had a 2023 MX for a couple of months with the 22" wheels that was bought back for a completely separate issue. It was replaced with a 2023 MXP with 20".

With the previous one and the 22" wheels the ride was always rough. I did road force balancing, alignment, lowered tire pressure to around 38-39 cold (from the recommended 42) but, even though it would do great over larger road imperfections, even railroad tracks, the ride would suffer from tiny imperfections on the road that seem to unsettle the chassis, even on newly paved roads would translate to subtle back seat vibration. It would resonate every few second, giving you a tingly feel at your back after driving in town at speeds up to 50 for 30-40 minutes, that lasts a while.

I would have thought the new MXP with the 20" would be better but it is pretty much the same. Took it for road force balancing again and lowered tire pressure to 40 (from recommended 45). I still feel this subtle vibration on the seat no matter what the pavement feels like. It is pretty much the same no matter the suspension settings and ride height.

So I thought, coming from BMW M cars, it is just that these weigh a lot, so this is how it must be. Keep in mind I have never felt anything like this with any of the BMW Ms which drove fantastic on very low profile tires and obviously sport tuned suspensions.

Well, over the weekend we got a new Mercedes EQS SUV also with air suspension and 21" wheels. This thing is SO smooth it is crazy. Over the same roads where the MXP feels like it wants to massage me with seat vibrations produced over the smallest road imperfection, the EQS feels incredibly smooth, just like the BMWs.

Am I the only one who feels that the suspension of the MX is severely lacking in refinement and needs much more development even though it is an air suspension? Has anybody done anything to improve this? I understand people may say it is not a luxury car, but even a Model 3 loaner I had with 20" seemed to not have this exact issue, but of course it was lacking as far as bigger road imperfections go.

My MX has had the issue for the past year. It's like driving a truck. The vibrations are constant. My car was at 2 different SCs and the problem remains
I have a service appt this Thursday on my seat vibration issue (2nd time with this issue).
What's weird is I had my drive mode set to "Sport". While sitting at a light, I changed to "Insane" mode and the vibrations in seats were noticeably decreased. It's very noticeable but still ever so slightly there. The different drive modes must be doing something since going from Sport to Insane mode reduced seat vibrations, felt much smoother.

I'm on the edge of ordering Unplugged Performance's rear sway bars ($395) since it's not that expensive and better sway bars do really help with handling.

[Update] After today's (8/17) service appointment, no change. Tesla Service Center thought the seat vibrations were due to maybe wheel balancing issue. They rebalanced the wheels and said vibrations disappeared. But no, they are still there.

I'll have to do more research on if there is a fix for this.

[Update] After today's (8/17) service appointment, no change. Tesla Service Center thought the seat vibrations were due to maybe wheel balancing issue. They rebalanced the wheels and said vibrations disappeared. But no, they are still there.

I would check your wheel bearings and your brake discs....just start with the easy stuff and work your way through the system

Thank you for keeping us updated. I have been on vacation for a while and now just back with the car. I have scheduled a service appointment too for next week and we will see how it goes. Curious is you also have 20" wheels and if you have experimented with different tire pressures. I have tried all the way down to 37 PSI from the recommended 45, and even though it is better, it is definitely still there pretty much at any speed at this point but you feel it much less at 50+ - but then I have steering wheel vibration at 65+. It is just a rough ride with a lot of unwanted road noise at the back of the seat and steering wheel.

I would check your wheel bearings and your brake discs....just start with the easy stuff and work your way through the system
I think most of us had this from day one with the cars having less than 15 miles, driving it off the lot. Wouldn't wheel bearings and discs be something that could be an issue at a later time, after at least a few thousand miles?

I think most of us had this from day one with the cars having less than 15 miles, driving it off the lot. Wouldn't wheel bearings and discs be something that could be an issue at a later time, after at least a few thousand miles?
There is a suspension fault somewhere...either it was caused by driving, wheel hit a pothole and is now square...or there is fault in either a component or in its assembly

There is a suspension fault somewhere...either it was caused by driving, wheel hit a pothole and is now square...or there is fault in either a component or in its assembly
I totally hope so since that would make it something that can be repaired! I know my wheels/tires are fine since I did road force balancing and they said they were perfect. Will also do an alignment that I haven't done yet - we will see after next week's service appointment.

Reactions: Bouba
In to see Rishi in Zevcentric today and hoo boy, the rear toe is well out... way too much. Look at it from the rear. Seriously, then compare the front wheel alignment. Like this from factory, like the *sugar* panel alignments. If you keep the car, get it professionally aligned at least...
Curious if the alignment (and I believe you were installing new wheels/tires?) improved things for you. Any difference?

Thank you for keeping us updated. I have been on vacation for a while and now just back with the car. I have scheduled a service appointment too for next week and we will see how it goes. Curious is you also have 20" wheels and if you have experimented with different tire pressures. I have tried all the way down to 37 PSI from the recommended 45, and even though it is better, it is definitely still there pretty much at any speed at this point but you feel it much less at 50+ - but then I have steering wheel vibration at 65+. It is just a rough ride with a lot of unwanted road noise at the back of the seat and steering wheel.
Yes, I have 20" wheels (the standard one). I didn't play with tire pressure since if I take it to Tesla, they will be like "it might be because your tire pressure is too low." lol My vibrations are mostly in the 30~40 mph range and I don't have steering wheel (yoke) vibrations and no vibrations at 50 mph+. I've hit to 80~90mph range too to test and no vibrations there either.

[Update] Tesla Service is going to replace the halfshafts. I had missed their message in the app where they said they still felt excessive vibrations after wheel balancing and will replace the halfshafts and all the other parts associated with it. I'm waiting for them to schedule the next appointment when parts arrive. Will keep this thread updated.

Reactions: Bouba