Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol - thinking more about it will answer both since they are related! Buying an MX is like playing lottery. This is my second 2023 because the first one was bought back after issues that couldn't be fixed. Great that it was bought back but so much lost time at service centers and stinky loaners. It also had major panel gaps.

The second one has been perfect - I really cannot find anything with it and I have car-OCD. Of course, except the reason I started this thread. So I did get another MX in the same year but I had thought the vibrations I was experiencing with the first one were because of the 22" wheels it had. They were not.

I also have a Mercedes EQS that is crazy refined and perfectly built with zero issues so far so I have an idea of what a proper large EV CUV/SUV should feel like.

So I would only buy another MXP if these tires work out (or other tires - may try the Pirellis too if these don't work out) but too soon to tell. I won't get into suspension modifications though, I don't keep cars that long to go deep into modifying and prefer stock. If a car needs any modifications just after buying to be problem free it is not worth buying for me. Tires are just consumables though.

The MXP definetely needs better high performance tires than the Continentals it comes with - they are good at nothing IMO. Performance wise it is a huge difference driving with the new Falkens especially for hard acceleration. So I would buy again if I could go back in time just to feel that. They are a pretty crazy deal anyway. I wish Michelin had the Pilot Sport AS4 in our size to try them too. I had those in my BMW M5 and they were awesome.
How did you get Tesla to buy it back?

I have another service appt (3rd one now) next week to replace half shafts in my 1,000 mile old Model X to see if that fixes seat vibrations.

How did you get Tesla to buy it back?

I have another service appt (3rd one now) next week to replace half shafts in my 1,000 mile old Model X to see if that fixes seat vibrations.
After the 3rd failed attempt to repair the issue I mentioned to the service advisor that they really need to buy it back. He brought it up with the center's manager who started the process. Took about a month for approval and a couple more weeks for the transaction to be completed.

My issue was very specific, had to do with electronics that nobody could figure out what was causing it after replacing everything including the HW4. I think it helped that it seemed it was something they hadn't seen before - who knows.

Reactions: skytom88
After your quick assessment, if you could go back in time would you have purchased again?
Quick update about the Falkens. I had mentioned that there was a humming noise and major steering wheel vibration coming from the front. I took it back and they tried to road force balance all the wheels again. They found out that they couldn't balance one of the front tires. How they were able to balance it the first time when they installed it? Who knows. So they ordered another one and we installed and balanced it.

Unfortunately, major steering wheel vibration at 60+ is still there, possibly even worse, and the humming noise continues. Based on this, I cannot recommend the Falkens when also considering one out of four tires was defective and couldn't balance (not that the non-defective is better).

Not sure what is next - may try another shop to road force balance them again. When I get more time I may try the Pirellis. Or just give up - lol.

Thank you @Leek4u for this and for confirming the state of the Continentals... I figured they were trash and this all but confirms it. I definitely would buy the Pilot Sport AS4's in a heartbeat if they were available. It would be worthwhile to contact Michelin and see why they aren't available in that size and to see if there are plans to produce them at some point. I'll see if I can find out anything.
And since I just got the Falkens, Michelin decided to make the Pilot Sport AS4 available for our 20"s !!!!

Quick update about the Falkens. I had mentioned that there was a humming noise and major steering wheel vibration coming from the front. I took it back and they tried to road force balance all the wheels again. They found out that they couldn't balance one of the front tires. How they were able to balance it the first time when they installed it? Who knows. So they ordered another one and we installed and balanced it.

Unfortunately, major steering wheel vibration at 60+ is still there, possibly even worse, and the humming noise continues. Based on this, I cannot recommend the Falkens when also considering one out of four tires was defective and couldn't balance (not that the non-defective is better).

Not sure what is next - may try another shop to road force balance them again. When I get more time I may try the Pirellis. Or just give up - lol.
I do appreciate you sharing the experience... I've never purchased a Falken tire and haven't known anyone to run them, so I was curious as to how they would work out. I've never viewed them as top-tier name, but I'm more than willing to give anything a try, especially if the specs are there. Glad to know that I should steer clear of them.

I beat you to it - ordered 4 and getting them installed this Friday :)
I'm glad you did! Can't wait to hear what you think of them. I'm going to order a set as soon as I get my N2itive arms on and my alignment set (which should be next week at this point). I feel I have to have the alignment set proper and that issue eliminated before I put on a new set of tires.

I could care less about the Continentals for that exact reason, so I'm burning them off until I can get the above work completed.

BUT - the Michelins are now 100% in my future.

I do appreciate you sharing the experience... I've never purchased a Falken tire and haven't known anyone to run them, so I was curious as to how they would work out. I've never viewed them as top-tier name, but I'm more than willing to give anything a try, especially if the specs are there. Glad to know that I should steer clear of them.
Well just found out that Falken offers a 30 day trial run so I will be reimbersed for their cost minus installation. Not bad if anybody else wants to try them!

After the 3rd failed attempt to repair the issue I mentioned to the service advisor that they really need to buy it back. He brought it up with the center's manager who started the process. Took about a month for approval and a couple more weeks for the transaction to be completed.

My issue was very specific, had to do with electronics that nobody could figure out what was causing it after replacing everything including the HW4. I think it helped that it seemed it was something they hadn't seen before - who knows.
I see. I will get the two half shafts replaced on Thursday. I read someone's comment on YouTube about replacing front drive unit too (and half shafts) to fix vibrations. Good thing is the Austin SC is willing to do whatever it takes to fix this issue. I hope it fixes with half shaft replacement and I might need to look into getting N2itive or Unplugged Performance rear camber adjustment arms and a rear sway bar to see if that will keep it fixed.

Thanks for the update, much appreciated. Is there any way that they will allow you to return them for a full credit towards the purchase on another set of tires?

Thanks for the update, much appreciated. Is there any way that they will allow you to return them for a full credit towards the purchase on another set of tires?
Yes, I have already ordered the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4, and they will swap them out. Falken has a 30 day trial run. Still have to pay labor/installation costs but at least I am getting the full price of the Falkens back.

Well... Tesla reschedules my appointment for tomorrow (to replace front half shafts) to end of October. One month push out saying they are "overbooked."
Not sure how my appointment booked a month ago is all of a sudden "overbooked". I'm thinking they have bunch of new cars they need to service before delivery with recent price cuts. Anyways, no update from me until end of October.

The purchase of the MX was the final leg in our "ditch the grid quest". It's interesting to read about all the vibrations happening. I'm not finding that at all. The fit and finish was without a problem. I usually drive the car in comfort mode and switch the steering to sport mode. Seems to work. Took it over the mountains today on Hwy 152 to Santa Cruz and it handled like a dream. It dug down into every curve with minimal handling on my part. There was zero sway....but at 5,000lbs there better not be. Lots of road construction on Hwy 1 but it handled the "added" pavement on the shoulders to make a lane, just fine". The ride was stable and comfortable ( to be fair, only 30 minutes of riding). Trips longer than 2 hours and the seat needs to be reworked to be cushioned. I have 3 complaints- and the first is just a GPS problem. Navigation was on and off and iffy in some places. (just like all other cars) I knew where I was going and just wanted to see how it would handle in and out of trees etc. and other tall structures. Someone said...pack your paper maps and I think that's good advice. 2. Why can't you access the forward-facing camera? There would be an end to crooked parking.. 3. Why is there no 360-camera view? All those cameras are there! Seems like it would be a no-brainer to me.

The purchase of the MX was the final leg in our "ditch the grid quest". It's interesting to read about all the vibrations happening. I'm not finding that at all. The fit and finish was without a problem. I usually drive the car in comfort mode and switch the steering to sport mode. Seems to work. Took it over the mountains today on Hwy 152 to Santa Cruz and it handled like a dream. It dug down into every curve with minimal handling on my part. There was zero sway....but at 5,000lbs there better not be. Lots of road construction on Hwy 1 but it handled the "added" pavement on the shoulders to make a lane, just fine". The ride was stable and comfortable ( to be fair, only 30 minutes of riding). Trips longer than 2 hours and the seat needs to be reworked to be cushioned. I have 3 complaints- and the first is just a GPS problem. Navigation was on and off and iffy in some places. (just like all other cars) I knew where I was going and just wanted to see how it would handle in and out of trees etc. and other tall structures. Someone said...pack your paper maps and I think that's good advice. 2. Why can't you access the forward-facing camera? There would be an end to crooked parking.. 3. Why is there no 360-camera view? All those cameras are there! Seems like it would be a no-brainer to me.
360 degree camera view has been the dream of Tesla owners since...Tesla started

Reactions: theslimshadyist
@Leek4u - question for you ahead of getting the PS AS4's installed tomorrow... would you mind to measure the sidewall height of the Falkens? I'd love to compare that to the Continental sidewall height and then again to the AS4's after you have them on as it would help to know how the three tires rank from a profile perspective.

With the PS AS4's on my wife's MYP, it's a very low profile tire compared to the Continentals on my MXP and that lower-profile tire is what I'm definitely wanting to get back towards.

Anyone tried Continental DWS06+, if available in 20" rim sizes? I prefer them to the AS4s and had planned to go that route if they're available. I find they have much better NVH at a slight performance penalty.

@Leek4u - question for you ahead of getting the PS AS4's installed tomorrow... would you mind to measure the sidewall height of the Falkens? I'd love to compare that to the Continental sidewall height and then again to the AS4's after you have them on as it would help to know how the three tires rank from a profile perspective.

With the PS AS4's on my wife's MYP, it's a very low profile tire compared to the Continentals on my MXP and that lower-profile tire is what I'm definitely wanting to get back towards.
Unfortunately the Michelin's are delayed to next week so installation has been rescheduled to next Wed.

Diameter of all the tires is the same though, which would make the sidewall exactly the same, possibly more or less curved. You can add them to the compare feature Tire Rack has and see. Am I missing something? If the MYP has 21" wheels it uses much lower profile tires anyway, not 45s - 35s I think, and they cannot be compared - will be a much lower profile tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightBitWhit