Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an appointment on 11/3 to address and in the notes it states, "Update vehicle software to reduce vibration".

View attachment 986313
Does this mean that a software update exists but it is not an OTA one and has to be applied manually?

I was told the same, that a future software update will fix the vibration issue and it is caused by uneven torque distribution. They did not know when it will be available though.

Let us know how it goes to see if we all need to start scheduling appointments!

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Well, I guess there is a service bulletin about this software update now, it is Plaid specific. I am assuming this is what the service centers are referring to. Only thing is that 2023.44+ doesn't seem to exist yet and seems to be only during acceleration. The yoke vibration I get is at constant speed too at higher speeds. We will see I guess!

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 10.20.40 AM.jpg

Well, I guess there is a service bulletin about this software update now, it is Plaid specific. I am assuming this is what the service centers are referring to. Only thing is that 2023.44+ doesn't seem to exist yet and seems to be only during acceleration. The yoke vibration I get is at constant speed too at higher speeds. We will see I guess!

View attachment 986472
Thanks for sharing this!

Sounds like future software versions (after 2023.44) will automatically include this fix, and we won't need to request it?

Thanks for sharing this!

Sounds like future software versions (after 2023.44) will automatically include this fix, and we won't need to request it?
Tesla software updates are cumulative so indeed at some point it's automatically included. But right now we are barely getting 2023.38 wide so if this problem is truly bothering you, it might be faster to request the update under this TSB.

I had my service appointment today, and it was a complete bust! When I made the appointment, they stated that an update was going to be applied and the advisor was familiar with the issue and the software fix. After about 30 minutes, I received the notification that my car was ready for pickup. I went back onto the SC floor and the tech told me that they couldn't apply the update and that the "fix" would be included in 2023.44 so I'd have to wait until that OTA update has been pushed out. 🤣

I'm currently on 2023.32.100.1 and enabled the FSD trial when I took delivery so will I have to "opt out" to receive 2023.44?

IMG_6579.PNG

I had my service appointment today, and it was a complete bust! When I made the appointment, they stated that an update was going to be applied and the advisor was familiar with the issue and the software fix. After about 30 minutes, I received the notification that my car was ready for pickup. I went back onto the SC floor and the tech told me that they couldn't apply the update and that the "fix" would be included in 2023.44 so I'd have to wait until that OTA update has been pushed out. 🤣

I'm currently on 2023.32.100.1 and enabled the FSD trial when I took delivery so will I have to "opt out" to receive 2023.44?

View attachment 987561
Yes, it seems that if you look at the TSB, the instructions for the service department to update software say "refer to Service Manual procedure 00020003; Model S, Model X". So procedure 00020003 is to go to software and see if there is an update available for the car - LOL!

It doesn't seem they have any special way to update until it becomes available OTA. I have an appointment too next week since I have a couple more pending things and I am fairly certain they won't be able to update to 2023.44 until it becomes available.

On the other hand 2023.44 should be next. I am on 2023.32.9, there is a 2023.38 branch, so next if you increment 6, next should be 2023.44. If 2023.44 includes FSD you won't have to opt out. Both 2023.32 and 2023.38 include FSD 11.4.4 so most likely 2023.44 will include at least this.

• Helpful
Yes, it seems that if you look at the TSB, the instructions for the service department to update software say "refer to Service Manual procedure 00020003; Model S, Model X". So procedure 00020003 is to go to software and see if there is an update available for the car - LOL!

It doesn't seem they have any special way to update until it becomes available OTA. I have an appointment too next week since I have a couple more pending things and I am fairly certain they won't be able to update to 2023.44 until it becomes available.

On the other hand 2023.44 should be next. I am on 2023.32.9, there is a 2023.38 branch, so next if you increment 6, next should be 2023.44. If 2023.44 includes FSD you won't have to opt out. Both 2023.32 and 2023.38 include FSD 11.4.4 so most likely 2023.44 will include at least this.
It would have been nice to be notified via the app that they wouldn't be able to manually apply the update and cancel my service appointment instead of having to drive all the way down there to find out.

What a waste of time and energy. lol

Yep. It's week 44 of 2023 this week, so it should be imminent.

Elon has mentioned that his cars could be made quieter with 500 lbs of dampener and insulation. That is what the luxury auto makers do to hush their cars. Also switching to framed door windows would reduce sound levels.

Downside is that it adds weight, reduces range, reduces performance, costs more, and generally reduces efficiency.

Hush is a big selling point with the higher priced Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, and Rolls Royce.
Other manufacturers go the other way, by fitting loud exhausts, loud engine intakes, phony sound system noises and ported sounds piped from the engine compartment. All go towards the total overall experience they desire. Some even lower the drive ratios so their cars can spin the tires, burn rubber and lay patches. Makes the driver feel the car is more powerful.

Tesla has been generally making their cars quieter over the years. It is not quite the level of the luxury brands, but they have added some insulation, double paned side glass, better gaskets etc. Their automatic noise reduction system is tuned to reduce low frequency sounds when driving over rough roads.

Yep. It's week 44 of 2023 this week, so it should be imminent.
Yes, but it may take another month or so. 2023.32 was first seen in public on Aug 27th, but week 32 was Aug 7-13. I didn't get it until mid-September.

Same with 2023.38, was first seen in public Oct 3rd, but week 38 was Sep 18-24. I bet most didn't get it until mid Oct, and personally I still don't have it.

I hope I am wrong but a safer bet would be first couple of weeks of Dec.

And I can't believe I am following Tesla updates, wasting time like this because I am stuck driving a vibrating machine!!! lol

• Funny
Elon has mentioned that his cars could be made quieter with 500 lbs of dampener and insulation. That is what the luxury auto makers do to hush their cars. Also switching to framed door windows would reduce sound levels.

Downside is that it adds weight, reduces range, reduces performance, costs more, and generally reduces efficiency.

Hush is a big selling point with the higher priced Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, and Rolls Royce.
Other manufacturers go the other way, by fitting loud exhausts, loud engine intakes, phony sound system noises and ported sounds piped from the engine compartment. All go towards the total overall experience they desire. Some even lower the drive ratios so their cars can spin the tires, burn rubber and lay patches. Makes the driver feel the car is more powerful.

Tesla has been generally making their cars quieter over the years. It is not quite the level of the luxury brands, but they have added some insulation, double paned side glass, better gaskets etc. Their automatic noise reduction system is tuned to reduce low frequency sounds when driving over rough roads.
I appreciate the post but curious how noise is related to the vibration issues discussed in this thread?

*facepalm* As a former automotive engineer this is such textbook Elon “lol a cruise ship is just a car with the doors closed” over trivialization.

Automotive NVH is way more than just adding more weight in padding. It involves the engineering of basically every piece of the car to make sure it doesn’t rattle. Even things like whether seat belt clips hit the door pillars. Then it involves suspension and tire resonant frequencies and how it interacts with how long your glovebox and center console pieces are, etc.

And then as you see with this particular issue, even the software of the motors and what acceleration and AWD torque distributions are allowed will influence whether or not the directly connected steering wheel / brake pedals shudder.

There’s extremely expensive computer simulation software used to model rattles and squeaks requiring each component to have accurate modeling.

Yes Tesla has been improving NVH gradually over the years but Elon’s answer is as much of a non-answer as mounting 8 webcams on a car, sticking in a mid grade NVIDIA graphics card and claiming robotaxis are solved as soon as we have a snake arm charger.

Reactions: terranx and msm859

Just to provide an update... 2023.44 is definitely an OTA update and service centers cannot do anything about it. I had a service appointment that included the TSB and we just have to wait for whenever it is available. Per service center, guesstimate is that it will be available in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: EightBitWhit