Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 85kWh necessary now that we have the expanded Supercharger network?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly. You don't just drive between Superchargers--and the map shows that some Superchargers will be inconveniently far from each other or require you to go way out of your way to use them (Map out a route between DFW and Lincoln--it isn't pretty.)

The 85kWh car has better performance, and a far more durable battery. It's not often appreciated that with the bigger battery, the same trip requires a much smaller charge in terms of the % of the battery that needs to be charged. Because the resulting cycles are much shallower, you get much less degradation in the first place. You also have a much higher bar that you are starting from, so that degradation does not impact capability quite as much.

Long story short, there is a reason that the 85kWh battery has a warranty that is 8 years and unlimited miles, vs 8 years and 125,000 miles. The 85kWh battery is the next thing to indestructible, and over the long term that is going to dramatically enhance it's resale value. I'd be willing to bet that in 8 years you'll make back much of the additional $8k just from increased resale value.

My take on it is yes. Just cause there is an outlet everywhere, doesn't mean I want to keep my computer plugged in. I still want my battery to last as long as possible, and I want to be able to charge it anywhere I need to. Kinda of a weird example, but the best way I could explain my point.

You bet it is. First, many of the places I want to travel are where the Superchargers are two years or more away. Second, even when those are online, they appear to be too far apart unless I want to go many miles out of my way. (e.g. is it better to stop and slow charge for an hour or two or drive an extra hour or two?).

"[FONT=georgia, times new roman, serif]640K of memory should be enough for anybody", apocryphally attributed to Bill Gates.

Whether he said it or not, I think battery capacity is the RAM of EVs. OK, the analogy isn't perfect. There are differences and points of diminishing returns but 250 miles vs 150? If the cost isn't huge, I'll take 250. The first time a 150 driver hits 10 miles left, he will regret his shortsightedness.
[/FONT]

"[FONT=georgia, times new roman, serif]640K of memory should be enough for anybody", apocryphally attributed to Bill Gates.

Whether he said it or not, I think battery capacity is the RAM of EVs. OK, the analogy isn't perfect. There are differences and points of diminishing returns but 250 miles vs 150? If the cost isn't huge, I'll take 250. The first time a 150 driver hits 10 miles left, he will regret his shortsightedness.
[/FONT]

I think that is a good analogy. At some point though physically there is only so much driving one can do in a day. Eventually (maybe be a decade or two, who knows) range will get up to the 600+ mile range where almost everyone will be covered.

My 85kw is being built in the factory right now. Before I finalized the order, I did expect Elon will expand the Supercharger network and have been waiting for the announcement. (see my speculation on SeekingAlpha here: Expect Surprises In Tesla's Upcoming Supercharger Announcement - Seeking Alpha )

But then it got pushed for another week so I lost the patience and went for the 85kw.

Now the facts is out, I am thinking to call them and try to swap for a 60kw instead. What is your thought?

My long trips will probably be just Bay area -> LA, and Tahoe, Vegas.

The title could be
"Will the 60kw be sufficient now that we have the expanded Supercharger network?"
In food and cars, "If a little is good, more's better!"

I believe "600-700 miles is about the right distance for a day's drive" is probably twice the right distance and I refer you to "The Station" (robertjhastings.net/), an essay by Robert J. Hastings, first published in Ann Lander's May 17, 1981 column. His message can be boiled down to the advice from golfer Walter Hagen in 1956, "You're only here for a short visit. Don't hurry. Don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way."

I am going to be the lone dissenter here. I have the 60, originally thinking about the 40 two years ago, but decided that the range of the 60 was enough for me. I am out on the road 3 out of 5 days and put about 120 miles on the car those days. I have had the car for 3 weeks and put 1700 miles on it and have no regrets about the size of the battery or the range. We have a second home 90 miles away with a 240v outlet there as well so getting there and back again no problem. I am 62 and don't really anticipate any cross country road trips so traveling all over S Florida in my Tesla Model S 60 works well for me. When people ask me "what if you want to drive to Orlando?" I say, for now I don't want to drive to Orlando, and if that day comes, I am sure there will be a SUPERCHARGER along the way that I can top off and keep going. 211 max range (accurate) miles for me is enough on any given day.

Personally, I'd be a hurtin puppy if hauled my *$$ 600 miles in a day but I am not one to smell the roses along the way either. There does seem to be a gender split on this. For me, I can drive at least 3 hours before biology takes over but most of the women I know like to stop around every 2 hours. My ex was more like 90 minutes. A bio break of 10-15 minutes is normal so a half hour supercharge would be a bit longer than most americans would like - assuming ubiquity of fast charging (paid or free). I suppose they would get used to that.

It would be instructive to know what the typical road trip for most north americans looks like. How many miles in a day, total number of days driving. distance between breaks. Length of the typical break.

I have an 85 so I don't even worry about range on a daily basis. There are lots of places I like to go that may never have superchargers--national parks, two lane highways, mountains, and highway 1. I was nervous on our only long road trip. Public chargers may be occupied when you arrive or not working.

It would be instructive to know what the typical road trip for most north americans looks like. How many miles in a day, total number of days driving. distance between breaks. Length of the typical break.

Although I've driven further in a day (sometimes much further), 600-700 miles is a comfortable day's drive with plenty of rest stops, and arriving at the destination not too late for dinner.

I have an 85. But the 60 would do well for anything I ever need to do with the car, including trips to Orlando or Tampa (as long as I can count on the Superchargers).

The only reason I have an 85 is because the Performance edition left me no choice. Personal choice. :)