Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 85kWh necessary now that we have the expanded Supercharger network?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 85kw is being built in the factory right now. Before I finalized the order, I did expect Elon will expand the Supercharger network and have been waiting for the announcement. (see my speculation on SeekingAlpha here: Expect Surprises In Tesla's Upcoming Supercharger Announcement - Seeking Alpha )

But then it got pushed for another week so I lost the patience and went for the 85kw.

Now the facts is out, I am thinking to call them and try to swap for a 60kw instead. What is your thought?

My long trips will probably be just Bay area -> LA, and Tahoe, Vegas.

The title could be
"Will the 60kw be sufficient now that we have the expanded Supercharger network?"

Simple answer is that it depends what your time is worth and what peace of mind is worth.

1. With a smaller battery pack capacity you'll need to stop more often and consider if there'll ever be waiting time at the popular superchargers.
2. There will be degradation over time. Will that ever take you below your desired/required range? Depends on how long you keep the car.

BTW, if you've already finalized Tesla has every right to refuse changes and for a variety of reasons they have refused those post-finalization changes in the past.

Just like there is no such thing as "too rich", "too beautiful", there is also "can never have enough range"
It's also a smaller difference than you think, since the SC is standard on the 85KW pack, and adds $2k to the 60KW pack, so $8K more.
I have never regretted getting the 85KW pack, even though I don't use it everyday. It's nice to have the ability when you want it, and of course there is the degradation issue, your 60KW might eventually not get you to where you want after several years...

Yes, there will still be trips that I will take (to the coast, or the mountains) that the 60kWh pack isn't big enough for (round-trip) and where there won't be Superchargers anytime soon.

In 10 years, if Tesla gets there with the Gen-III, Superchargers will turn into commonplace fixtures around the world, IMHO. At that point it might make less sense to get the pig pack but I still think the 3 hour drive range of the 85kWh pack is the sweet spot for road tripping (three hours of drive followed by 3 minute stops).

My 85kw is being built in the factory right now. Before I finalized the order, I did expect Elon will expand the Supercharger network and have been waiting for the announcement. (see my speculation on SeekingAlpha here: Expect Surprises In Tesla's Upcoming Supercharger Announcement - Seeking Alpha )

But then it got pushed for another week so I lost the patience and went for the 85kw.

Now the facts is out, I am thinking to call them and try to swap for a 60kw instead. What is your thought?

My long trips will probably be just Bay area -> LA, and Tahoe, Vegas.

The title could be
"Will the 60kw be sufficient now that we have the expanded Supercharger network?"

Obviously there are the additional accessible locations & performance that other people mentioned.

There are a couple of other minor factors you may want to consider:

a) An 85kWh battery will charge the top part of the same range faster than a 60kWh battery.

b) An 85kWh will be able to skip across some chargers, where a 60kWh will have to stop at every one. Though if you really stop and thumb-twiddle, as opposed to eating/stretching/walking your dog etc. then more frequent stops is marginally faster for the 85kWh as well. (600 miles @ 3 x 30 min stops = 90 mins. @ 4 x 20 min stops = 80 mins).

I need to ask a favor, can the mod help fixing the title from
"It the 85kw necessary" to
"Is the 85kw necessary"
Thanks!

And while he is there fixing, he just might make it right also:
Is the 85kWh necessary

Every Honda Civic has more than 85kW of power, model S has 270kW of it.

I'd be ashamed if some ICE burner owner asked me "you only have 85kW engine in there"? Meh ...

I wouldn't worry about it and go with your initial feeling. The $8,000 difference if it doesn't break the bank makes long distance travel easier even with Supercharges. As Nigel said you will need to stop less often and if a Supercharger is down, full of cars you might have enough range to keep on going to next Supercharger instead.

yes.

once you get the car, and you start driving it everywhere, you'll see the range goes pretty quickly. Plus, with battery degradation, your 85kw will have the current range of a 60 kw in a few years. Don't assume that you'll get the same range over the entire life of the car. Unless you plan to switch cars very frequently.

Got the 60 kWh and took delivery March 1st. We took our first road trip this past weekend to New Bedford MA. Stopped off at the Milford Supercharger and did a max range charge to 210. Got to the destination with 67 miles remaining.

Found a level II charger and did not plan to remain overnight. When we left, the vehicle had 165 miles after charging ~ 5 hours. After a few wrong turns and missing an exit on I-195 we were at just ~ 150. Trip to our house is 183 miles. We made it to the southbound Milford SC with 11 miles remaining and charged to 191 miles.

I was an early reservation holder and Supercharger access was bundled into the cost (Thanks TM). Better to get the 85 kWh if you can swing it. I’ve got upcoming college costs in several years for my kids.

I bet we'll see the 85's have a much longer lifespan due to less degradation. also, it's nice to be able to enjoy the Model S at "full speed" (definition of which depends on the individual) vs making sure drive the speed limit to get the rated range

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I agree with the opinions and since budget is not the most concern, I would be glad to stick with the 85kwh.

Just try to be beneficial to others who might have a stronger budget consideration, I assume everyone is fully aware that the Supercharger network has been expanded dramatically as in today's announcement:

Tesla Dramatically Expands Supercharger Network, Delivering Convenient, Free long Distance Driving Throughout U.S. and Canada - Yahoo! Finance

If that affects your thought in anyway, do speak out so others can benefit. Otherwise we assume this new info has been considered.