Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the dual charger option useful and worth getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only required them two or three times, but they were really handy to have those times. It more or less comes down to how you value your time, I guess. The most significant use case for me is when I'm heading out on a trip that I didn't expect to make and I need extra juice in a hurry to have enough to make the journey. Having the ability to charge at 80A on a HPWC has meant the difference between taking the Tesla and having to take a different car at least twice in that scenario for me.

Most of the time, it's not going to be something you need. It's a nice-to-have, but you also have to consider it adds about $5k to the price of the car, when you include the HPWC + installation + charger installation in the car. $5k for 3 times over 3 years == about $1,300 each time you *need* it. :)
Although strictly speaking you don't need the HPWC at home so it doesn't necessarily cost more than just the $2K for the option, but on trips when using a destination charger dual chargers are great to have.

Although strictly speaking you don't need the HPWC at home so it doesn't necessarily cost more than just the $2K for the option, but on trips when using a destination charger dual chargers are great to have.

For my personal use, dual chargers have come in handy about a dozen times over two years. Each time I was traveling. I like to take secondary highways, so I am not always sticking to the Supercharger Highway. Accordingly, I have been able to utilize many different 70A and 80A public chargers out there. A long lunch followed by a walk around the area will take about 2-3 hours (I am in no rush) and replenish 125-140 miles of range instead of half that.

In addition, at destination locations, twice I have encountered fellow owners who wanted to charge too. We were able to coordinate a rotation plan to permit each of us to receive the charge that we needed. At one of those times, the other driver did not have dual chargers, so since I did, I suggested that I charge first for about 4+ hours to get enough range for the next day's drive, and then I would notify him when I move my car so he could charge overnight.

I guess what I am trying to say is that dual chargers allow for more flexibility in planning routes and in charging at destinations if one encounters others competing for the plug.

True... I suppose for those who know of a lot of 80A options on the road, it's a good thing. In my experience, I just haven't found them; my use of destination chargers has been limited (3 times) and in those three times, only one was set higher (48A) than 40A.

True... I suppose for those who know of a lot of 80A options on the road, it's a good thing. In my experience, I just haven't found them; my use of destination chargers has been limited (3 times) and in those three times, only one was set higher (48A) than 40A.

EXACTLY correct. How do you even know where these HPWCs are located, if they are in use, and if they even provide 80A and not just the standard 40A?

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
EXACTLY correct. How do you even know where these HPWCs are located, if they are in use, and if they even provide 80A and not just the standard 40A?
Destination chargers are listed on the Nav and the Tesla website and show the amps. Plugshare also shows the amps. It's actually pretty easy to find out. Since almost all destination chargers (at least the ones on the Tesla website/nav system) are at hotels, you book the room and request the charger. Last year, on our trip from DFW to Seattle, we used four of them each way and no problems. For the private ones on Plugshare, you generally have to call and make an appointment with the homeowner. I've used those as well and it's been a good experience.

Look under destination charging in the navigation screen for a list sorted by distance from you, and tap for details. Or look on the destination charging page on the Tesla website. It's not that hard. It won't tell you if they're in use, but that info would be outdated by the time you get there anyway. I've never had to wait for a destination charger though.

Look under destination charging in the navigation screen for a list sorted by distance from you, and tap for details. Or look on the destination charging page on the Tesla website. It's not that hard. It won't tell you if they're in use, but that info would be outdated by the time you get there anyway. I've never had to wait for a destination charger though.

Sorry Texas EV - my delivery is Tuesday! :) I'll look under this heading when I get it! Thanks!