Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the dual motor option worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in getting feedback about the dual motor option. Is there a big difference in handling in cold weather (snow conditions) between the RWD and the AWD? My current ride while I wait in line is a RWD car that has proven to be manageable during the winter season. The other question is whether there is any difference in actual range. I know that Tesla advertises an increased range with the dual motor, but after reading the attached links, I'm not so sure. Anyone (Model S owners) able to add comments. Thanks.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiamZXri_fZAhVEyYMKHZRyBssQFggnMAA&url=https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1102834_all-wheel-drive-tesla-electric-cars-rated-more-efficient-but-how&usg=AOvVaw2t4RgDZ7ZQRRRmK47pp2xL

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiStdnFjPfZAhWa8oMKHUdoAQUQFggnMAA&url=https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1115257_life-with-tesla-model-s-coast-to-coast-in-a-new-100d-and-how-it-differed-from-my-old-85&usg=AOvVaw3FpOKQKZko2s29nNkpFeQf

Both dual motor cars for sure won't have quite the range of the LR RWD, but we find the range certainly adequate for long trips, if we space SC stops properly.

But if you can afford it, DM is night and day in the snow and in traction-limited conditions compared to RWD.

Just don't stop at the AWD dual motor - spring for the performance version. It's a grin machine!! :p:p:p:p:p

• Love
Reactions: SammichLover
What? The difference is only $4,000. It was as high as $6000 late last fall but never higher than that.

Are you comparing the SR+ price to the LR D? Because most of that difference is the much larger battery.
Yeah, for some reason if we wanted the dual motor, we would have had to get the long range as well, and it was $10,000 more. $4,000 is more reasonable, but still more than I'd be willing to spend.

The most important reason for me me to consider the LR AWD was getting up my 350 ft private entry gravel/crushed asphalt road from my lakeside cabin. It's very steep up/down from the main dirt road. Anything coming up with fwd will spin wheels (even with TC) and cause excessive wear on my private road. I got tired of parking my Chevy Volt in the guest parking on top by the main road and carrying all my things up and down last two seasons. I new that when I would back up my Volt backwards to bring it out from below I had no issues as all the weight is on the front traction wheels. Due to how narrow the little entry road is it's not always pleasant and a risk to fall in either ditch each side.

I took a calculated chance that my SR+ would work well. I have gone up a few times with my RWD SR+ and no wheel spin as slow and methodical as a caterpillar. Very happy. My cabin is seasonal so no winters. I love my SR+ RWD and Tesla TC. Also by parking next to my cabin power outlet I don't need to string extension cords up 300 ft to the main road parking. I'll put up a video of this sometime this summer.

I'm not even sure what you mean here... ICE cars have had electronic traction control for decades.

Teslas have an open diff and then electronic traction control. They "emulate" a limited slip by modulating the brakes.

ICE cars generally have either an open diff and electronic traction control (which works by modulating the brakes), or even better, a limited slip one plus electronic traction control.

Not that Teslas TC isn't very good for an open-diff car- it certainly is. But not in any way that'd change the results of the testing.

Err... the AWD Teslas also have increased mass.

They do have more power, but in snow/ice all the cars discussed, regardless of drive train, aren't being driven full throttle anyway- so not sure why you think more total power helps? Horsepower doesn't give your slipping tire traction.

Which ICE cars also have (they don't always come that way, but some certainly do)...so not sure your point here?

For example-
Global News Regions

Specs on a '16 GT-R... different final drive ratios front to rear. And hardly the only example.

Not in snow/ice if the AWD has all-seasons and the RWD has snow tires.

Results will be remarkably similar to the professional testing I linked to.

Same tires on both? Sure. But that wasn't the discussion.

Tires > drive train in snow/ice for most situations. (very steep hills being the main exception)
I’d never get snow tires unless I lived in a cold climate area more than 5 months out of the year.

Revisiting this thread after more than a year with some new information! I originally posted that I didn't miss a dual motor Tesla shortly after receiving my very early Model 3 RWD w/ 18" wheels.

Anyway...I just traded in my wife's Model X (AWD) for an Model 3 LR AWD w/ 19" wheels, and I now switch off between the Model 3s throughout the week (to take advantage of free charging at work). Surprisingly, I'm seeing something unexpected, and my wife agrees: the RWD "feels" better than the AWD, steering-wise...I guess I'd describe it as feeling more nimble. The RWD just seems to snake around through traffic much more easily, whereas the AWD seems to lumber around a bit more, possibly due to additional weight in front? Whatever it is, we both seem to prefer driving the RWD. Maybe this is due to the larger wheels? Anyone have any feedback on these observations?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and Scott7
Revisiting this thread after more than a year with some new information! I originally posted that I didn't miss a dual motor Tesla shortly after receiving my very early Model 3 RWD w/ 18" wheels.

Anyway...I just traded in my wife's Model X (AWD) for an Model 3 LR AWD w/ 19" wheels, and I switch off between them throughout the week (to take advantage of free charging at work). And I'm seeing something unexpected, and my wife agrees: the RWD "feels" better than the AWD, steering-wise...I guess I'd describe it as feeling more nimble. The RWD just seems to snake around through traffic much more easily, whereas the AWD seems to lumber around a bit more, possibly due to additional weight in front? Whatever it is, we both seem to prefer driving the RWD. Maybe this is due to the larger wheels? Anyone have any feedback on these observations?

Totally different chassis with vastly different weights and polar inertia (resistance to rotation). The Model X is based on previous and older model S chassis and is significantly more ponderous, even though it was regarded as a competent handler relative to and despite its considerable mass. The M3, even in its AWD config, feels way lighter on its feet than its 4k lbs would ever suggest (a design target by all accounts), and the RWD M3 is even more so, witth great turn in and transient response even with stock wheels/tires, with less mass in the front not having a front motor. Or as Colin Chapman famously put it, when you want the best possible handling, do your best design, and then add lightness.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, I'm seeing something unexpected, and my wife agrees: the RWD "feels" better than the AWD, steering-wise...I guess I'd describe it as feeling more nimble. The RWD just seems to snake around through traffic much more easily, whereas the AWD seems to lumber around a bit more, possibly due to additional weight in front? Whatever it is, we both seem to prefer driving the RWD. Maybe this is due to the larger wheels? Anyone have any feedback on these observations?

From what I’ve read, I think most who have driven both back to back will agree the RWD handles better and is more fun in that way. the AWD trades nimbleness for brute force acceleration and traction during that acceleration.

From what I’ve read, I think most who have driven both back to back will agree the RWD handles better and is more fun in that way. the AWD trades nimbleness for brute force acceleration and traction during that acceleration.

from having driven both, it's trading a modest amount of transient response for a LOT of dynamic responsiveness.The AWD/DMP is a point and squirt machine in a way that you have to experience to believe.

RWD is always the best for driving experience. It's not uncommon to take a AWD Lamborghini and make it RWD as an upgrade.

But there are a lot of advantages to AWD too. Like launch times. Just depends on what is your priority.

Reactions: Scott7
I have a dual motor and have driven a RWD, but unfortunately not back to back. My car definitely has a heavy feeling front end.

I’m not complaining btw, I have zero regrets and would buy the same car again.

Yep. But you can mitigate that with three or four interventions - some are cheap some are not.

We have two Model 3 Performance, One stock with just lighter aftermarket wheels and the other extensively tuned up. I put the Sports coilover kit on mine from MPP, lowered the car a little over an inch, put on wider front wheels and will soon have wider front tires, and with the lowering got to about -1 degree camber on the front. The differences in turn in and responsiveness from all of those changes are pretty significant. The modified car does not feel sluggish on turn in at all and is extremely snappy in its transient response. Oh one other thing, if you don't have them already get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Excellent transient response and pretty good ultimate limits for a Street Tire. And all of these changes have not had a punitive effect on the ride. For sure my car rides more firmly but it's still quite comfortable

Yep. But you can mitigate that with three or four interventions - some are cheap some are not.

We have two Model 3 Performance, One stock with just lighter aftermarket wheels and the other extensively tuned up. I put the Sports coilover kit on mine from MPP, lowered the car a little over an inch, put on wider front wheels and will soon have wider front tires, and with the lowering got to about -1 degree camber on the front. The differences in turn in and responsiveness from all of those changes are pretty significant. The modified car does not feel sluggish on turn in at all and is extremely snappy in its transient response. Oh one other thing, if you don't have them already get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Excellent transient response and pretty good ultimate limits for a Street Tire. And all of these changes have not had a punitive effect on the ride. For sure my car rides more firmly but it's still quite comfortable

Scott lives in Wisconsin, you live in florida.

Sensitive to perceived criticism much?

Nope - I actually don't think that your response was criticism but rather is tangential and has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand which is how much the all-wheel drive version suffers in terms of handling responsiveness compared to the rear wheel drive version. Please explain to me what your irrelevant post has to do with that question?The irrelevant response about the Porsche (as a preferred alternative to the Tesla!) was offered after a prior irrelevant response about where the two of us lived so I just have to wonder can you stay on topic?

Last edited: