Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the emergency release button in the Frunk disabled when the car is in motion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife won't put anything in the front trunk because she's afraid it might bump against the emergency release button while driving and the trunk lid would fly up, blocking the windshield.

If by chance something in the frunk were to hit the button while you were driving, the frunk will open but only partially. There's a second latch that will hold it down until you go into park.

I don't think anyone has ever had that issue in the first place to know the answer. Maybe an email to Tesla would better answer your question.
Really it would take some serious force for something to press that button and I don't think it's a realistic concern.

I don't think anyone has ever had that issue in the first place to know the answer. Maybe an email to Tesla would better answer your question.
Really it would take some serious force for something to press that button and I don't think it's a realistic concern.

Actually people have reported that an item in the Frunk pressed the button while driving. But it doesn't fully release the hood.

Reactions: RobRainVid
Thanks for the video link! She watched it and now she's OK with using the frunk. Tesla should mention the safety latch in the manual.

Don't show here this post if you aren't sure of the ramifications:

By the way the Frunk has an electronic release that can fail. If you put perishables in there like say a load of groceries and that latch mechanism fails it's difficult (not impossible but it will seem so) to get into until a service center or mobile service technician fixes it.

Front trunk/frunk stuck

Not a bad idea to avoid putting things in there that could spoil. Also not a bad idea to learn how to get in there if the latch fails.

Probably not the place to put your heart medicine or an epipen or anything like that where time to get into the Frunk could cost you dearly.