Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the EV market about to crash? What do you think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shrinking growth rate isn't a market collapse

I'm not sure what you specifically by "incrementally" - did you mean "linearly"?

Regardless, I disagree. EV adoption absolutely can grow exponentially. See Norway, for instance.

Or take a look at how smartphone adoption has progressed to see what a zero to 100% (ish) growth S curve looks like.

View attachment 1008682
Where is 2022 and 2023? 2024 projections?

I didn’t say market collapse, I said the rate of growth is slowing.

Your chart is Norway which has heavy EV adoption.

There's a doom & gloom Medium.com article:

Here's the vid that goes with it:
Not watching it, but what about the picture tells you that it is a trustworthy source?

To me it sounds like a YouTube click sucker.

There is a zero chance I would read the article or watch the video, as I am not at all interested in hit pieces (even though thats what most things seem to be, at this time, on multiple topics).

With that out of the way, as far as my own opinion on the thread title (which for reference is "Is the Ev market about to crash? What do you think?" my answer is " no, I dont, its nothing like NFTs or cryptocurrency, its an actual real product, with real benefits for lots of people. Its not going anywhere."

Typical website that sells you gold, ammunition, and dry food for your underground bunker
Wow all the stuff I need in one place. Now I will go read that article, no I won't its behind a paywall, also there is no advertising, I couldn't find ammo, gold or dry food for sale, just membership sales, I was excited there for a minute, but quickly lost interest.

Last edited:
I didn’t say market collapse, I said the rate of growth is slowing.

I was responding to the overall thread title: "Is the EV market about to crash?" (clearly it is not). I don't disagree with you on this point, growth rate probably will slow down.

It's amazing how as you sell more and more that growth always shrinks.

This. The growth rate drops as you progress up the adoption S curve. At about 50% EV adoption the growth rate declines (roughly speaking)

Crash? It's (cough, cough) more likely to catch fire. Seriously, the market is trending towards Tesla making BEVs and the legacy car companies making PHEVs. Good for Tesla, but bad for the planet.

Tesla has only been around for a small fraction of time(16yrs) compared to the other big companies (70-100yrs).
Tesla was founded in 2003. It's mentioned at https://www.tesla.com/elon-musk.

Haven't seen the video and have only skimmed the parts of the piece in the OP w/o a Medium account.

I don't know if the OP is asking about globally or about specific market (e.g. China, Europe, US, Japan, specific countries/regions, rest of world, etc.)

We do have a poll at Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll", for which I answered after 2040 and still stand by it.

Last edited:
definitely don't think the EV market is going to collapse. however, electricity prices are such that charging at home ($0.34/kw) is the equivalent of driving a 39mpg car ($5.00/gallon). of course there is so much little maintenance required for an EV etc but when it comes to getting people to switch, the primary objection is centered on charging as a bigger interruption to their day than gassing a car up. while I doubt that is the case for an EV used to commute for typical round trip distances, the problem remains that non-Tesla charge networks are awful. and people's doubts about being able to charge up reliably aren't crazy (for a non-Tesla EV).

so PGE rates are effectively stalling EV adoption (hypothesis, not fact) bc you can go get a Prius from 15 years ago and effectively have a similar energy cost, high(ER?) reliability, low maintenance cost, with no range anxiety - people might not be crazy for buying a cheap ass hybrid and waiting for the world to go to a single EV charge standard.

but for you people with the $0.10/kw rates, I don't know why you would't switch. oh I know why, the non-Tesla charge networks are horrible. Elon and his advisors figured out the importance of this a long time ago. which leads us back to why people might not be crazy for buying a cheap ass hybrid and waiting for the world to go to a single EV charge standard.

which can further be refined to this: for BEVs, it's Tesla, or don't do it. so for the the other brands of EVs - legacy automakers can scale back, and delay. it's quite possible that new brands collapse, and their demise would be quicker than the legacy automakers, which sucks. legacy automakers will delay by continuing to make ICE vehicles and hope for permission from Tesla to use their network.

Last edited:
definitely don't think the EV market is going to collapse. however, electricity prices are such that charging at home ($0.34/kw) is the equivalent of driving a 39mpg car ($5.00/gallon). of course there is so much little maintenance required for an EV etc but when it comes to getting people to switch, the primary objection is centered on charging as a bigger interruption to their day than gassing a car up. while I doubt that is the case for an EV used to commute for typical round trip distances, the problem remains that non-Tesla charge networks are awful. and people's doubts about being able to charge up reliably aren't crazy (for a non-Tesla EV).

so PGE rates are effectively stalling EV adoption (hypothesis, not fact) bc you can go get a Prius from 15 years ago and effectively have a similar energy cost, high(ER?) reliability, low maintenance cost, with no range anxiety - people might not be crazy for buying a cheap ass hybrid and waiting for the world to go to a single EV charge standard.

but for you people with the $0.10/kw rates, I don't know why you would't switch. oh I know why, the non-Tesla charge networks are horrible. Elon and his advisors figured out the importance of this a long time ago. which leads us back to why people might not be crazy for buying a cheap ass hybrid and waiting for the world to go to a single EV charge standard.

which can further be refined to this: for BEVs, it's Tesla, or don't do it. so for the the other brands of EVs - legacy automakers can scale back, and delay. it's quite possible that new brands collapse, and their demise would be quicker than the legacy automakers, which sucks. legacy automakers will delay by continuing to make ICE vehicles and hope for permission from Tesla to use their network.
You can’t get TOU rates?

In So Cal, Edison gives a special lower (26¢) TOU rate for EV owners. Both Electricity and Gasoline are more expensive here than in other states.

Don't know about all the competitors that do not offer SuperCharging or convenient and reliable charging systems of their own, but just looking at Tesla, they continue to grow nicely while legacy ICE manufacturers are struggling.

A big issue in the US is the lack of profitability for legacy manufacturers forced to pay ever increasing Union demanded wages and fringe benefits. The non-union US producers seem to remain nicely profitable.