Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 a "flashy" car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend made a comment to me the other day that has been sticking in my head. She said something to the effect that I've always driven "flashy" cars. I think a better description would have been "distinctive" as I have a hard time considering a MINI Cooper, my previous car, as flashy. But a Tesla? I didn't buy a Model 3 to draw attention to myself. I bought it because of the zero emissions, future-leaning technology and outstanding performance. The red color, however, is kind of a beacon...

In the Bay area, Teslas are everywhere. But I know plenty of people who don't know what it is when they see it. I like to believe that what is under the skin is what matters the most. On the other hand, I'm NOT driving a BMW i3. Ever. So looks do matter. What do you think?

A friend made a comment to me the other day that has been sticking in my head. She said something to the effect that I've always driven "flashy" cars. I think a better description would have been "distinctive" as I have a hard time considering a MINI Cooper, my previous car, as flashy. But a Tesla? I didn't buy a Model 3 to draw attention to myself. I bought it because of the zero emissions, future-leaning technology and outstanding performance. The red color, however, is kind of a beacon...

In the Bay area, Teslas are everywhere. But I know plenty of people who don't know what it is when they see it. I like to believe that what is under the skin is what matters the most. On the other hand, I'm NOT driving a BMW i3. Ever. So looks do matter. What do you think?
I agree that a MINI Cooper is not a flashy car.

I personally wouldn't consider a Model 3 a flashy car either. How many 4 door sedans are considered flashy?

I don't know if I like the word "flashy" as it has a negative tone to it, but I do think Model 3 has a very distinctive look, easily recognizable, pretty much from any angle. And it is certainly a head-turner! Some stare at it because they don't know what it is, others because they recognize a Tesla! Things will probably change in a year or two, but for now, the car certainly stands out from the pack, both because it looks different and also because it is so different!

Hmm, goes like a flash, runs on electrons...

Lets bookend it. I will put two of my previous cars on the ends...

Porsche Cayman- Not very fast, but very flash........Subaru STi - VERY fast, but NOT flash (read hideous)

In the middle is the M3, Pretty fast and fairly flash (from most angles, fugly from others).

People who dont know, dont know and its just a dodge dart or similar. People who do know, know and its a badass electric sports sedan. I wouldnt worry about it....

Consider this, in our mid 20's we owned a 2009 porsche cayman that we bought CPO for 29K from a family friend who runs a bunch of dealerships. The car was neither very expensive, nor particularly fast, having the 2.9L with the manual transmission. We would get people giving us dirty looks, people in $70K luxury trucks making snide remarks (trust fund pr**ks, etc), you name it. And we would have people of all walks of life give us the thumbs up, want to take a picture of the car, want to sit it it. I guess what I am saying is dont worry too much about it. It does not matter what you drive or how much it cost, people will have their opinions.You can buy a Porsche that is cheaper than a Honda Accord and people might hate you for it, or you can buy a $70K electric sports sedan and people might think you drive a Dodge Dart and look down their noses at you...

Reactions: davedavedave
It's all relative to the person saying it. The Model 3 is probably still considered a bit flashy and distinctive here in Cleveland because its still relatively rare. Tesla is still viewed as an expensive luxury brand here and most people are just generally unaware of how the Model 3 is any different then the S and X. I've had countless people strike up conversations and are all very surprised to learn that it didn't cost $100k.

In CA? Probably not so much.

• Love
Reactions: ConcordeSST
I think the color also makes a difference. White or red stands out much more than black or midnight silver. I sort of wish I went with white instead since the color of mine just blends in everywhere, especially if I haven't washed it in a while.

It's all relative to the person saying it. The Model 3 is probably still considered a bit flashy and distinctive here in Cleveland because its still relatively rare. Tesla is still viewed as an expensive luxury brand here and most people are just generally unaware of how the Model 3 is any different then the S and X. I've had countless people strike up conversations and are all very surprised to learn that it didn't cost $100k.

In CA? Probably not so much.

This.

It is indeed very subjective and relative. I've also run into many people that think I paid $100K to $150K for my car. It makes me feel very awkward because people think I'm very wealthy. They have no idea how hard I had to scrimp and save over a three year period to be able to responsibly afford the car.

My precious car was a red and white mini cooper, that one I did consider a pretty flashy car, it sticks out a lot. my new M3 metallic blue I consider it more settle.
Flashy? hmmmmm a red roadster, NOW THAT IS FLASHY

This is what’s crazy .... I’m considering the Model 3 when my current lease is up in September ... and in many respects, it’s be a step down from my Cadillac XT5. Would also cost a bit less.

But the comments already have begun from many folks I’ve spoken with. The Cadillac is considered a “normal” car, but Tesla is still seen as a “brass ring” vehicle. Whatever. I just want something electric, comfortable, roomy and moderately affordable.

That REALLY means Model Y, but I need something to get from September until the Y starts shipping. A 3 year Model 3 lease would be ideal.