Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model S worth it over the Highland M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what do you need?
examples:
- a lift back is massively more useful for a person with activities that take up physical space, like sports, or moving a big pile of stuff from home depot
- air suspension is wonderfully useful in the snow
- if you have a small parking spot, or have to hunt for parking when you get home, the 3 will be much more suitable

The less marketable stuff makes the S a much better car. Y feels cheap through and through. Awful suspension, rear seats are like sitting on a park bench, oddly narrow inside, tons of road noise, etc.

Having both I find passengers prefer the Model Y rear seats, a lot easier to get in and out of, more foot space, etc.

Here is the thing with road noise. Is the Model S better in that regard? Yes it is, but the problem is the Model 3/Y are already pretty damn good so you are paying a huge amount for a small delta difference.

As far as the Highland I've been in a passenger in two now for longer trips in Croatia and not sure what the pricing will be in the US/Canada but in Croatia Highland is 42k euros and Model S is 97k and the Highland is pretty damn nice. The problem is this isn't the difference between a base BMW 318 and BMW M5. It's like the difference between a BMW M3 and a BMW M5 and the M5 isn't double the cost of the M3.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight: you make a million plus (up to 9 Million) annually and your Tesla car is the cheapest Model Y??! What are your ICE cars?

What do you get in the most expensive Model Y?

- Longer range; absolutely don't need (I have 8 years of experience with 70d degraded down to 330 km @ 100% charge). My RWD Y now has 394 km @ 100% so for me even that is a large upgrade.
- Better acceleration; absolutely don't need. I can't even use my 5.0 second Model S acceleration to its full potential
- AWD vs RWD; I live where it doesn't snow.

I know 99% of people comment online "buy as much range as you can" and I simply don't agree with that. I literally don't need it so why carry around a bigger battery.

As far as the Model S.....I drove it for an hour and simply wasn't "wow."

You know what was wow, driving a 2012 Honda Civic Si and then test driving a Model S in 2015. I went from a 25k car to a 110k CND car at the time but it was worth it due to the huge delta difference. Now it's like my RWD has a rear power tailgate and so does the Model S....the Model S one closes "nicer."

I admit the ventilated seats were the one thing I liked during my 2023 Model S test drive, but the Highlands 3 has ventilated seats as well.

2023 Model S > 2016 Model S
2023 Model S > Model Y/Highland

Problem is the delta difference is becoming really small because the Y/Highland have become such great cars.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Having both I find passengers prefer the Model Y rear seats, a lot easier to get in and out of, more foot space, etc.

Here is the thing with road noise. Is the Model S better in that regard? Yes it is, but the problem is the Model 3/Y are already pretty damn good so you are paying a huge amount for a small delta difference.

As far as the Highland I've been in a passenger in two now for longer trips in Croatia and not sure what the pricing will be in the US/Canada but in Croatia Highland is 42k euros and Model S is 97k and the Highland is pretty damn nice. The problem is this isn't the difference between a base BMW 318 and BMW M5. It's like the difference between a BMW M3 and a BMW M5 and the M5 isn't double the cost of the M3.
Owning a 3 (newer model with the double pane glass) and an S, I disagree that the noise levels are similar. The S is far quieter, particularly at highway speeds. The Ys I’ve been in have been louder still.

At least in the US, model 3 LR is $46k. MSLR is $75k. So not quite double the price. Likewise for M3P vs Plaid (and the difference between MSLR and MSP is bigger than M3LR and M3P) Wouldn’t be surprised if highland goes up a couple thousand.

BMW M3 base price is $76k. M5 is 110k. Not quite the same price ratio as between model 3 and model S, but not drastically off.

Highland I can’t comment on beyond appearance since they’re not available in the US yet

As far as rear seat comfort - Y is probably easier to get into for older folks and depending on the height of the front seat folks there may be more leg room. But the actual seat backs in the S are drastically better. If I had to sit in the back seat of one of them for a long trip, I’d definitely itself take the S

Don't know what your highway speeds are in the US but here in Canada where I am it's mostly 90 km/h and then you go 10 over so 100 km/h and I find the Model Y plenty quiet. I would say quieter than my 2016 Model S and perhaps just a tad noiser than a 2023 Model S.

Once again, not arguing Model S is not a better car, but in most countries it is 2x cost after rebates on the 3/Y.

Especially with the Highland now having ventilated seats/better steering wheel/etc., Model S loses even further on value preposition.

I think part of the problem unlike other brands pretty much all Teslas come "fully loaded." It's not like you can say ohh the RWD 3/Y doesn't come with heated steering wheel/power truck/liftgate, etc. And the top end 3/Y come with these things as the Model S. Really comes down to range, acceleration (but even the cheapest Tesl is fast), and rwd vs awd. Wheel size is a wash as the while the bigger wheels look nicer they are worse in every other metric. I've had 21"s on the S for 8 years and opted for the 19"s on the Y and had nothing to do with budget or affordability.

Last edited:
Most of the speed limits in my part of the states (PA) are 65-70 mph. Realistically I’m never below 80. And 90-100 is pretty common. Above 70 mph is where the noise difference really shows IMO

Owning a 3 (newer model with the double pane glass) and an S, I disagree that the noise levels are similar. The S is far quieter, particularly at highway speeds. The Ys I’ve been in have been louder still.

At least in the US, model 3 LR is $46k. MSLR is $75k. So not quite double the price. Likewise for M3P vs Plaid (and the difference between MSLR and MSP is bigger than M3LR and M3P) Wouldn’t be surprised if highland goes up a couple thousand.

BMW M3 base price is $76k. M5 is 110k. Not quite the same price ratio as between model 3 and model S, but not drastically off.

Highland I can’t comment on beyond appearance since they’re not available in the US yet

As far as rear seat comfort - Y is probably easier to get into for older folks and depending on the height of the front seat folks there may be more leg room. But the actual seat backs in the S are drastically better. If I had to sit in the back seat of one of them for a long trip, I’d definitely itself take the S
I agree this. My kids (5’7 and 6’) and my elderly mother prefer the Y rest to the S any day. The S sits low and require ones knees to lift higher not to mention harder to get in and out of. A odd sitting angle with the floor too close to the seat. The Y is flatter yes and thus the middle seat is more functional /usable. The leg space is far superior, the seats all recline for even more and relaxed angle and the height visibility is much better.

I think for one to state the MS rear is a selling plus for S over Y hasn’t spent any appreciable time in the latter. Lol.

Premium ride comfort of course S wins it.
I’d be more interested to hear of future Juniper Y Vs MS comparisons. Same hatchback design vehicles. The highland may be the better value these days but it’s a diff animal to the 3. I’d say the S should be no more than 50% more expensive to maintain a good price delta to features

I agree this. My kids (5’7 and 6’) and my elderly mother prefer the Y rest to the S any day. The S sits low and require ones knees to lift higher not to mention harder to get in and out of. A odd sitting angle with the floor too close to the seat. The Y is flatter yes and thus the middle seat is more functional /usable. The leg space is far superior, the seats all recline for even more and relaxed angle and the height visibility is much better.

I think for one to state the MS rear is a selling plus for S over Y hasn’t spent any appreciable time in the latter. Lol.

Premium ride comfort of course S wins it.
I’d be more interested to hear of future Juniper Y Vs MS comparisons. Same hatchback design vehicles. The highland may be the better value these days but it’s a diff animal to the 3. I’d say the S should be no more than 50% more expensive to maintain a good price delta to features
Based on your car list doesn't seem like you have the refresh S? The rear seats (middle seat excluded) are much more comfortable in the refresh S. The pre-refresh wasn't very comfortable. I don't find the seat angle to be a big issue since there's enough leg room to stretch your legs out and get comfortable. I never found the recliner in the Y to be particularly comfortable.

My mother seems to find the S rear seat comfortable enough. Granted she's not elderly (mid 50s). I don't really take anyone older than that in my car so at least for my use case it's a moot point.

Based on your car list doesn't seem like you have the refresh S? The rear seats (middle seat excluded) are much more comfortable in the refresh S. The pre-refresh wasn't very comfortable. I don't find the seat angle to be a big issue since there's enough leg room to stretch your legs out and get comfortable. I never found the recliner in the Y to be particularly comfortable.

My mother seems to find the S rear seat comfortable enough. Granted she's not elderly (mid 50s). I don't really take anyone older than that in my car so at least for my use case it's a moot point.
Yes I’ve owned the pre- refresh but as I understand it and have tried out with friends new S’s, the middle seat actually just out more than the prev Gen S? So even less room? Leg room and height of seat off the floor is no diff from a 2019-2021 than a 2022/2023 so comparable analysis there.

I’ve taken mother (77), wife’s parents (70/80’s) and all enjoy the reclining as do my kids. All have been in the prev 2018/19 version S and hands down they find the room and spacing/height more comfortable. in the Y. I’ve assumed the 2023 S has similar spacing specs to the 2019…maybe even less so for middle seat.

Just anecdotal I know :) comments are relating to ease of exit and entry, ride height, reclining…not softer ride. The S is clearly the premium machine overall metrics …but not the best at all things Ie.aforementioned differences

Last edited:
Middle seat is pretty bad. Now there isn’t a car out there that I’ve ever felt to have a *good* middle seat, but I will admit the S’ is particularly bad. Better to think of it as a 4 seater. The left and right rear seat backs are pretty good and actually supportive unlike the usual back seat affair. I find the shape and cushioning much better than the pre refresh S

My understanding is they did shift the position of the rear seats slightly and there is more leg room than pre refresh as a result

Man, seems like you've never driven a Model S right after test driving a Model 3.

Driver screen, the wider body, the interior space and rear trunk space, as well as premium ownership and driving experience alone make the Model S worth way more than Model 3. I don't see how anyone would cross-shop the Model 3 along with the Model S, unless it was for budget reasons. The Model S is just on a completely different level compared to Model 3.

I’ve owned both.
Smaller, more nimble drive, better owner & driving experience alone make the Model 3 Highland worth far more than the Model S.
Easier to get in and out of, more reliable, I can’t imagine anyone cross shopping the two. The Model 3 is just on a completely different level than the S.

Sound kind of silly to some I’m guessing.
Your statement as well as mine are both true.
They are also both subjective viewpoints.

I see these subjects often, and they really are somewhat pointless. Which car an individual finds ‘worth’ more is completely subjective beyond ‘does the car get me from A to B’.

To the OP, please go test drive both. It is the best way to tell.
Asking a large group which car has better attributes will get you every possible answer.

S has cooled seats, better sound system, longer range, quieter, etc,..........next level compared to M3.
Agreed on the old M3 but the M3 Highland also now has ventilated seats, an upgraded sound system and is supposedly 20% quieter than the old M3 with dual-panel glass on all doors and better aerodynamics. It will be interesting to see a true comparison between the two cars.

this comparison remains ridiculous in my mind. heated seats, or not heated seats aren't going to make me desirous of a 3 if I'm an S shopper. which is the exact feeling a 3 shopper would have of an S.

and by heated seats, feel free to substitute any other feature, aspect, etc.

- if the requirements are space for my hockey bag, and my kid's lacrosse stick, and I want it in a liftback format, there is nothing a 3 can do to make me cross-shop it.
- if I the requirements are a physically smaller car because I prefer the driving dynamics of having a lighter car, and the relative parking freedom of a shorter wheelbase, there is nothing an S can do to do those 2 things better than a 3.

does OP know what his requirements are?