Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Performance S a steal < 100K?

Is the Performance S a steal <100K

• Yes

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 44 46.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy crap that's fast!

Yes, but to be honest, that's a Launch Control time. In normal driving there's a small lag from standstill, or at least some fuss going on. I couldn't tell on the test drive whether it was turbo lag or traction control engaging or shifting abruptness, but it wasn't very smooth on take-off - but it did accelerate well. Tesla drivetrain is definitely better and smoother. I stomp on my Roadster's accelerator all the time because it's quiet. The S6 isn't super loud, but I felt self-conscious stomping on the pedal, so probably wouldn't do it as much.

However, the S6 handles really well, has 4 settings for comfort/sportiness that affect steering, air suspension, transmission, etc. The speed sensitive steering was really nice with huge assist at really low speeds for parking, but only slight assist on the freeway. Brakes were very good, visibility good all around, including out the back window. Headroom is way better than Model S, and overall width is better (aka narrower). Huge trunk. LED headlights, backup camera with path guides, and all the other techy goodies that Model S doesn't have, not to mention simple things like a heated steering wheel and exterior door handles that don't need an instruction manual nor debugging to work right.

Backseat is some better/some worse. Model S has a flatter back seat that lets tall people sit sideways if they're alone and has more front to back space. However, rear seat headroom on Model S is way less, and the low seat/high floor in Model S makes normal sitting back there less comfortable for normal positions.

A Tesla drivetrain in an S6 chassis/body would be killer in my view. I wonder if Mercedes will put a Tesla drivetrain into their E63 AMG, even though that's not my favorite chassis nor body.