Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the performance to "easy" to get yourself in trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I have never owned a performance car and somewhat have purposely avoided it. I think my Jeep is 0-60 in 14 seconds or some such. Don't get me wrong I love acceleration as much as anyone. FYI, I owned a dodge charger 440 when I was like 17 and did some stupid things with it.

My wife and I are both concerned I might "screw up". To err is to be human. I've not had a speeding ticket in 20 years. Couple warnings (slow back roads).

After you have been driving any car for a while you instinctively learn it's limitations and it becomes an extension of you.

And with the addition of electric it doesn't give as much feedback as an ICE vehicle that, you know you are really pushing it and telling everyone else while your at it, that you are pushing it when the ICE screams through it's nostrils that you are coming.

Here is a simple example. Say your on this 2 lane highway and your trying to pass a truck that you've been stuck behind.
The dashed lines open up but there is a car coming the other way. So you wait. The car passes and the dash lines are about to go solid, but you think you still have time (with the P). You this car is quick, do you know go for it, where in your past cars you never would? Will you know, when you really shouldn't?

Will you naturally push the acceleration odds? Will you tend to drive faster (or accelerate faster) without the rumbling feedback reminder nag.

I'm just curious if anyone else contemplating the Performance has considered this and for anyone who has and got the car (or any under 4.0s 0-60 Tesla), how is it going?

One curious question I have also, do you feel you can drive it "normal" as the Non-P (or ICE for that matter). That is, does it constantly remind you it wants to get up and go? Or does the P only show itself when you really push it or you need to put in some performance mode. I know about chill mode.

Because the reasons above I have NOT test driven one yet. I have a feeling I WILL want it, have to have it. It's kind of like drugs after that first high your in trouble ;)

Reactions: Pkmmte
I have found the P to be very civil. It doesn't beg to go fast like some ICE cars I've driven. Perversely (and I think I'm not alone in this) aside from when I'm trying to drive fast, I find that a car with this kind of power has me driving a little slower depending on the situation. I think it's because I get my taste for speed satisfied so I don't feel the need to zip around everywhere. I don't drive all that different from my two previous higher HP cars really (BMW 335i turbo, modified trans am).

I don't think it's just Tesla. Even in modern ICEs with 8 to 10 speed transmissions, going at 100mph you'll probably have a lower engine speed compared to an older Jeep going 65.

At one of my previous companies, the company cars were Dodge Chargers with Hemis and the ZF 8 speed transmission. It was notorious for people getting speeding tickets (and ensuing HR penalties for breaking the law on business) to the point that people would rather rent economy cars than take the company cars on trips.

At any rate, with modern cars, EV or not, you'll want to keep a close eye on the speedometer when driving manually.

I think if there's one nice thing about Tesla, it's TACC / Autopilot. That makes it easy to set your max speed at the speed limit + an offset (like the typical 5-over), and you can let the car control the acceleration and speed regulation.

The fact that Teslas don't roar and rumble, it means you'll get noticed less by police. But my Model 3 does make me drive faster. There are good things about instant torque of EV's that make driving safer. Have you had cars that attempt to pass another by cutting into your lane, forcing you to smash your brake because their acceleration is so slow? With the Model 3, you can accelerate so fast that people won't have to do that.

It seems like you are worrying a bit too much. Life's short, have fun while you can. You'll love driving a Model 3 at any trim.

I’m personally not worried about cruising to fast. My current Jeep Summit with 8 speed ZF is really really quiet. I just set ACC 5-10 mph over and go.

It’s the acceleration abilities I worry about.

Chill mode might be exactly what I need. It would even be kind of cool (for me) to have to stop the vehicle to switch it out of chill mode ;) It would only be out of chill for deliberate play mode and not for a irrashional non thought out moment.

Do they have Parental lockout for teens, maybe I need that.

I have never owned a performance car and somewhat have purposely avoided it. I think my Jeep is 0-60 in 14 seconds or some such. Don't get me wrong I love acceleration as much as anyone. FYI, I owned a dodge charger 440 when I was like 17 and did some stupid things with it.

My wife and I are both concerned I might "screw up". To err is to be human. I've not had a speeding ticket in 20 years. Couple warnings (slow back roads).

After you have been driving any car for a while you instinctively learn it's limitations and it becomes an extension of you.

And with the addition of electric it doesn't give as much feedback as an ICE vehicle that, you know you are really pushing it and telling everyone else while your at it, that you are pushing it when the ICE screams through it's nostrils that you are coming.

Here is a simple example. Say your on this 2 lane highway and your trying to pass a truck that you've been stuck behind.
The dashed lines open up but there is a car coming the other way. So you wait. The car passes and the dash lines are about to go solid, but you think you still have time (with the P). You this car is quick, do you know go for it, where in your past cars you never would? Will you know, when you really shouldn't?

Will you naturally push the acceleration odds? Will you tend to drive faster (or accelerate faster) without the rumbling feedback reminder nag.

I'm just curious if anyone else contemplating the Performance has considered this and for anyone who has and got the car (or any under 4.0s 0-60 Tesla), how is it going?

One curious question I have also, do you feel you can drive it "normal" as the Non-P (or ICE for that matter). That is, does it constantly remind you it wants to get up and go? Or does the P only show itself when you really push it or you need to put in some performance mode. I know about chill mode.

Because the reasons above I have NOT test driven one yet. I have a feeling I WILL want it, have to have it. It's kind of like drugs after that first high your in trouble ;)
Yes, you tend to (at least I do) pass (when lines are dotted) and before you know it your going 90 or 100 and need to slow down. And I don't have a performance or dual wheel drive but a 2013 S...

My main concern from the test drive was that you don't realize how fast you're going in that car. The audio ques aren't there and the car has so much power if you put your foot down on the freeway you go from 50-90 extremely quickly, but at the same time it does it do smoothly and silently that it doesn't feel like you're going that fast until you glance at the screen.
I think there is an option to have the car chime if you exceed the speed limit, I plan on turning that setting on initially.

Reactions: neroden
My main concern from the test drive was that you don't realize how fast you're going in that car. The audio ques aren't there and the car has so much power if you put your foot down on the freeway you go from 50-90 extremely quickly, but at the same time it does it do smoothly and silently that it doesn't feel like you're going that fast until you glance at the screen.
I think there is an option to have the car chime if you exceed the speed limit, I plan on turning that setting on initially.
There are alerts for exceeding the speed limit available on the performance. Like was mentioned earlier, leave it in Chill Mode if you don't want to go so fast.

I use that on my Jeep and I love it (so does my wife while she is the passenger ;) ). I set it to +15 over posted Speed limit so it doesn't false to much and I tune it out. I really don't want to be 15 mph over. I would hope all the Tesla's have that and you can set an "Offset" above Posted Speed Limit. Other wise it would be useless.

I'm test driving a Performance tonight. Gulp. I KNOW I'll like it and want it and I won't stop trying to "convince" the wife it's only "logical" to have it.

You can screw up on a golf cart. You can set limits in the Model 3. If you don't want the Performance Model, then don't get it. I didn't.

Sure, but that is not the way it has to be. I travel a lot and may be in rental 20+ weeks of the year. You can either be a old dog or not.

Why do you feel this way? I'm somewhat the opposite. There are a lot of ICE cars that can feel like you are going 100 when you are going 45. There's also a lot that can feel you are going 45 when you are going 100. It's not really an EV thing.

The line going solid means that is illegal to cross. What's the question?
My brother and I were on a 2 lane road many years ago and had radios where we could talk to each other. I was in front and could tell him of there was any traffic, he would still do stupid things like cross the yellow in the middle of a turn. Was he safe? Yes. Was he legal. No.
Some people will also remind you, than when passing, you are limited to the max road speed. But few people limit themselves to 55 when passing.
The important part is that with the acceleration, you do have the ability to create a bigger safety buffer.

Some may, most won't. Again, the same thing happens in ICE vehicles. Move from a Subaru to a Challenger and there will be a huge acceleration/speed differential, not an EV concept.
Some Challengers seem to also be the slowest cars on the road.

I don't have the P, but I seldom drive my RWD anywhere near its limits. Even when I'm showing the car off, I push the accelerator less than half way down.

Then don't get one. The standard RWD Model 3 is a really quick car that outperforms most of the things on the road anyway. For me, the differential in price just wasn't worth it. I can do a lot of other things with the ~$15k difference. The RWD M3 will generally impress all of your friends except for the hard roadies.

Useful advice for many situations - ask yourself what would a responsible adult do? Then, for the next few minutes, pretend you are one.

About 12 days from getting our P3D. We've had an "unlocked" 2017 S100D 10 months & 10K miles. Not a P, but respectable warp-speed acceleration.

Try this for passing and other situations such as crossing a busy road where instant acceleration is important:

1. First week or so, pass only in situations you KNOW are absolutely safe. You'll get a sense of the acceleration, time to safely return to the right lane and the car's feel. Don't be an aggressive jerk, practice enough that your eyes/brain are recalibrated.

2. Then start using the acceleration in slightly tighter situations. No point in pushing your luck.

Closest scrape I've had was at a nearby intersection with two lanes in each direction. No dedicated left turn lane. I was turning left into a side road. Cars backed up behind the left-turner in approaching traffic, limited visibility down the row. I see the right lane clear, start my left turn. I see a car jump out of the back-up and zoom down the right lane. Floor the accelerator and clear the intersection.

Rarely floor the accelerator just to feel the power. Very reassuring to know it's there when needed.

Use Chill mode only to improve range with EAP. Chill mode caps acceleration. This takes one escape tool off the menu, see closest scrape above.

Reactions: Arpe