Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is The Price Right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Contemplating selling my car - stats in my sig w/ 7,800 miles... Got an offer for 64.5k, kind of sucks since I paid $113k out the door in June of 2013, is that price in alignment with the current market for used Teslas? Thank you!

It is the right thing, I suggest you off load it now because as more cars go on the market with AP your value will drop even farther. I say do it and dont look back.
Yes, but due to my obsessive nature, now I'm wondering if AP 2.0 or some other massive advancement would just make the new car plummet in price/resale value too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good to me. I think a CPO would be about that so to get that in private sale sounds great.
Insultingly enough, Tesla's CPO department offered me $54k...

That's crazy.. $60k in depreciation in 2.5 years?! 7,800 miles is like new. I could understand if the car had 60,000, but that depreciation in less than 3 years is painful. :(
Exactly... Still deciding if I want to make the moves to get a new one (taking a MASSIVE hit on depreciation, placing about $30K down and getting another loan). I just don't know if autopilot and the other improvements are ultimately worth it.

Yes, but due to my obsessive nature, now I'm wondering if AP 2.0 or some other massive advancement would just make the new car plummet in price/resale value too.

- - - Updated - - -

Insultingly enough, Tesla's CPO department offered me $54k...

umm....i got u beat....bought a CPO and 1 week later they offered me 10K less to get into a newer build with autopilot.....10k depreciation in 1 WEEK!?!? talk about no mercy, and I could've easily declined delivery and only lost 1k....ouch, live and learn with Tesla I guess.

umm....i got u beat....bought a CPO and 1 week later they offered me 10K less to get into a newer build with autopilot.....10k depreciation in 1 WEEK!?!? talk about no mercy, and I could've easily declined delivery and only lost 1k....ouch, live and learn with Tesla I guess.
Yeah, you should have declined. They say you take the biggest hit "when your car rolls off the lot" - granted Tesla doesn't have "lots", but the same principal applies. What's even more insulting is that they probably turned around and sold it for only $2k off MSRP.

If you consider 7.5k tax credit, real hit would have been 2.5k.

I would take the offer. Being an early adopter can really suck, but that's the price you pay to have nice technology right away. I'm sure all of us are going to hate our resale values once Autopilot 2.0 hardware rolls out!

Have you already tried out a car with the current Autopilot functionality? Make sure you like the way it currently works before throwing down all that money :eek:

I would take the offer. Being an early adopter can really suck, but that's the price you pay to have nice technology right away. I'm sure all of us are going to hate our resale values once Autopilot 2.0 hardware rolls out!

Have you already tried out a car with the current Autopilot functionality? Make sure you like the way it currently works before throwing down all that money :eek:

But then would I just be an early adopter of AP 1.0? And yes, I've tried it... But only on a limited stretch of road right by the service center/showroom that I'm sure the car drives ALL THE TIME.

But then would I just be an early adopter of AP 1.0? And yes, I've tried it... But only on a limited stretch of road right by the service center/showroom that I'm sure the car drives ALL THE TIME.
There will always be something new and shiny on the horizon. You either have to spend a ton to keep up with the latest and greatest, or just learn to appreciate what you have :smile: I used to be an avid PC gamer and keeping up with the latest hardware will easily cost $1000-2000 every year.

If you drive long distances often, or if you hate being stuck in stop and go traffic, then the current functionality of Autopilot is totally worth it. Otherwise, I would hold off.

The thing that gets me is your mileage. Only 7,800 miles? If you drive so little why even sell your car? You are paying $7.70 per mile in depreciation based on what you mentioned. I'd keep that car as the rate of depreciation slows over time. In 3-4 years you could probably still get $35-40k for it.

The thing that gets me is your mileage. Only 7,800 miles? If you drive so little why even sell your car? You are paying $7.70 per mile in depreciation based on what you mentioned. I'd keep that car as the rate of depreciation slows over time. In 3-4 years you could probably still get $35-40k for it.
Especially considering the cost of an 85KWh battery alone is $40k.

Exactly... Still deciding if I want to make the moves to get a new one (taking a MASSIVE hit on depreciation, placing about $30K down and getting another loan). I just don't know if autopilot and the other improvements are ultimately worth it.

It really depends on how much you drive on the highway and traffic. If you do not have to deal with stop and go traffic or drive long distances on the highway then AP will never be worth it.

I am having the same debate in my head right now. I ordered a P85+ with AP and now I am debating on wither I want it now or not.

The story I tell myself is that I'll drive more if I have AP... HAH!

It really depends on how much you drive on the highway and traffic. If you do not have to deal with stop and go traffic or drive long distances on the highway then AP will never be worth it.

I am having the same debate in my head right now. I ordered a P85+ with AP and now I am debating on wither I want it now or not.

ooh...which one did you get? i was looking at those too!....don't tell me the pearl white one down in FL?