Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is The Price Right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The story I tell myself is that I'll drive more if I have AP... HAH!

I would agree with asudan, I see no reason for you to sell now. Maybe wait until next year and see what happens. I doubt there will be any changes until late next year anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

ooh...which one did you get? i was looking at those too!....don't tell me the pearl white one down in FL?

No mines better than that one. I might sell it if you want it.

I would agree with asudan, I see no reason for you to sell now. Maybe wait until next year and see what happens. I doubt there will be any changes until late next year anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

No mines better than that one. I might sell it if you want it.

Even then though, Tesla may just focus on the Model 3... Basically, I want to do it if there aren't going to be any significant updates for 2ish+ years, but there's no way to know :(

can't be...the one i was looking at was fully loaded....FULLY LOADED.

Pretty much loaded and AP and cheap :wink:

85 kWh Performance Model S -
Performance Plus Package
- Pearl White Paint -
All Glass Panoramic Roof
- 21" Grey Turbine Wheels -
Black Nappa Leather Seats
- Lacewood Décor -
Alcantara Headliner
- Carbon Fiber Spoiler -
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
- Supercharger Enabled -
Single Charger
- Tech Package -
Smart Air Suspension
- Ultra High Fidelity Sound -
Premium Interior Lighting
- Rear Facing Seats -

Used Vehicle Price $88,700.00
Transportation Fee $750.00
Estimated Purchase Price $89,450.00

The thing that gets me is your mileage. Only 7,800 miles? If you drive so little why even sell your car? You are paying $7.70 per mile in depreciation based on what you mentioned. I'd keep that car as the rate of depreciation slows over time. In 3-4 years you could probably still get $35-40k for it.

I agree with this. You still own an INCREDIBLE P85 model with lots of upgrades. With 7800 miles it's virtually brand new. Why take such an insane hit right now?

Personally (as a prospective owner, not current owner) I think AP is nice but NOT worth such a huge upgrade cost. If I were in your shoes I'd drive your car 2-3 more years and not get bent over like you dropped the soap in Tesla's shower.. :D Tesla vehicles are more tech than car so they'll most likely be upgrading and improving at a crazy pace. (Think iPhones here..) If you upgrade with every single innovation it'll cost a small fortune.

Everyone has their own situation and is entitled to spend their money how they see fit... but holy cow $60k depreciation for 7,800 miles is painful no matter how rich a person is, lol...

Even then though, Tesla may just focus on the Model 3... Basically, I want to do it if there aren't going to be any significant updates for 2ish+ years, but there's no way to know :(

Tesla has so much stuff going on right now and Model S is selling so I doubt there will be any major changes for at least a year and they are just now starting to look for a AP team....so I personally doubt you will see any major changes until end of next year. But no one really knows.

Pretty much loaded and AP and cheap :wink:

85 kWh Performance Model S -
Performance Plus Package
- Pearl White Paint -
All Glass Panoramic Roof
- 21" Grey Turbine Wheels -
Black Nappa Leather Seats
- Lacewood Décor -
Alcantara Headliner
- Carbon Fiber Spoiler -
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
- Supercharger Enabled -
Single Charger
- Tech Package -
Smart Air Suspension
- Ultra High Fidelity Sound -
Premium Interior Lighting
- Rear Facing Seats -

Used Vehicle Price $88,700.00
Transportation Fee $750.00
Estimated Purchase Price $89,450.00

the one i was looking at was an Inventory with ~15K miles...it had every stinkin option i could think of (yours is missing the dual chargers, paint armour, and subzero package that i can see so far, also it had carbon fiber decor instead of lacewood).......95K before Fed Tax credit....i shoulda jumped.

Especially considering the cost of an 85KWh battery alone is $40k.

That's because Tesla doesn't really want owners upgrading their batteries yet. Remember Tesla is aiming for $100/KWh and below once the Gigafactory comes online. There'll always be markup and labor costs, but once GF1 (and 2?) are online I think we'll see a brisk trade in battery upgrades on older MS at much more reasonable prices.

Exactly... Still deciding if I want to make the moves to get a new one (taking a MASSIVE hit on depreciation, placing about $30K down and getting another loan). I just don't know if autopilot and the other improvements are ultimately worth it.

I think you guys are only looking at one half of the equation here. Are you going to lose your ass selling the asset? Unfortunately yes. That's just the way life goes with luxury cars. BUT, you're essentially buying the same asset again which means that same depreciation works in your favor on the buying side. In the case of selling one car to get the same car I'd ignore depreciation altogether and just look at out of pocket cost.

During my shopping I was offered a 2014 very well equipped 2014 P85 w/ Autopilot for $75,000. I was also offered an S85 w/ AP for $65,000. Obviously it takes a bit of work to find a deal like that but in terms of looking at total out of pocket cost, you're now talking a difference of $10,000 to get out of your car and into an AP car if you can be patient finding a car.

You've got one half of the equation down. You've found a good price for your P85. Get that sold, get the money in hand and then find your AP car.

I think you guys are only looking at one half of the equation here. Are you going to lose your ass selling the asset? Unfortunately yes. That's just the way life goes with luxury cars. BUT, you're essentially buying the same asset again which means that same depreciation works in your favor on the buying side. In the case of selling one car to get the same car I'd ignore depreciation altogether and just look at out of pocket cost.

During my shopping I was offered a 2014 very well equipped 2014 P85 w/ Autopilot for $75,000. I was also offered an S85 w/ AP for $65,000. Obviously it takes a bit of work to find a deal like that but in terms of looking at total out of pocket cost, you're now talking a difference of $10,000 to get out of your car and into an AP car if you can be patient finding a car.

You've got one half of the equation down. You've found a good price for your P85. Get that sold, get the money in hand and then find your AP car.
Provided you buy used and not new, that's true.

- - - Updated - - -

P will actually lose its value faster.

There is a huge difference between a P85 and a 85. The P will hold it's value way better than a base 85.

Not true.. The top of the line always depreciates the most, this is true with any automaker.
A perfect example are M (BMW) or AMG (Mercedes) cars, my M6 lost $55K in two years!
The more you pay for a car, the more you lose... Teslas P models are not special when it comes to depreciation.

Was the 113k out the door price including tax or not including the $7500 tax credit? That would make the depreciation hit marginally better =)

You can't expect to get the sales tax back nor can you ever expect someone to pay you the pre-tax credit price.

Anyone can order a new similarly equipped and similar performing 2016 85D AP car for ~$90k net the tax credit (plus sales tax). $64.5k for a 2.5 year old car (plus use tax) seems in the right range given that it lacks AWD, AP, etc.

Relative to the original MSRP, sure. But there's plenty of people who don't care about Autopilot, they care more about the driving experience of a performance electric car. That plus the range of the 85 battery should help the car keep value for some time, even once the Model 3 is released.
Tell that to my P85​! Haha

- - - Updated - - -

Was the 113k out the door price including tax or not including the $7500 tax credit? That would make the depreciation hit marginally better =)

You can't expect to get the sales tax back nor can you ever expect someone to pay you the pre-tax credit price.

Anyone can order a new similarly equipped and similar performing 2016 85D AP car for ~$90k net the tax credit (plus sales tax). $64.5k for a 2.5 year old car (plus use tax) seems in the right range given that it lacks AWD, AP, etc.

Yeah, it was out the door (including tax, not counting the tax credit). Also, for any other color besides black/white, panoramic roof (it's a must), premium sound (also a must), next-gen seats, any trim besides the piano black, premium interior (needed for power lift gate) and air suspension (also a must so you don't scrape), it comes out to $101,500 before tax for an 85D... I wouldn't want to downgrade from my current car, considering that's basically the same configuration I went with last time around for my p85

How does one find such a good deal (e.g. S85 w/AP for $65K)?? I haven't found anything close to that. After reviewing the inventory models available at the Tesla dealer, and the CPO website, I couldn't find any options that saved anything at all compared to a new model 85D ($85K after tax credits), especially when taking options into account (I only want to pay for AP, subzero, air suspension and rear seats)...