Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is The Price Right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did what you're contemplating and I wish I hadn't. Autopilot only works if the road is well-marked, sun isn't shining in your path, road doesn't curve sharply, and on and on. I wish I'd waited for 2.0. And don't buy 2.0 until you've driven it. Current auto-pilot requires you to basically drive the car - keep hands on the wheel and be ready to take over at any time. NOT WORTH IT.
View attachment 105976

Well I have to say that your experience is the complete opposite of mine, and from comments elsewhere on this site most other folks too.

I am constantly amazed at how well AP copes with all sorts of conditions on all sorts of roads.
I find it remarkably effective, genuinely a joy to use and definitely make trips easier, and yes you are advised to keep your hand(s) on the wheel, because you are still in control of the car.

Have you considered that someone maybe driving it and doesn't want to sell it? Few months ago I was looking at an S60 listed above MSRP at a local ICE dealer. I drove by and asked why they were asking so much, one sales guy told me a sales manager was driving the Model S and he wasn't really willing to discount the car. They did have it listed as a "Performance" too, but pictures clearly showed a 60 badge.

I did consider that but it was actually the opposite. He did want to sell it so he could get a P85 (at least that's what they told me) but didn't want to sell it for much less than he paid and according to the sales guys he paid more than their asking price and was just stubbornly hanging on to the car until it sold at his price. I can't say I blame him on an emotional level.

Contemplating selling my car - stats in my sig w/ 7,800 miles... Got an offer for 64.5k, kind of sucks since I paid $113k out the door in June of 2013, is that price in alignment with the current market for used Teslas? Thank you!

My guess, based on what the trend I've been observing over the past year, is that it would be a good idea for you to wait until Tesla has worked through the Model X backlog. Based on the auctions and listing I've been seeing, a good number of people are currently selling their maxed out Model S to buy a maxed out Model X. This is a good thing for Tesla but will probably cause CPO prices to remain lower than usual until supply and demand are normalized.

In short, many people in the market for a new Tesla will gladly pay full price for a new one. Those in the market for a great $60,000-$100,000 CPO vehicle are probably looking for a bargain price, or are more fixed in how much they can spend.

Also, many people selling their Model S are likely used to selling luxury $100,000 vehicles every 1-2 years, and are therefore basing the ask price on a $100,000 has vehicle.

My guess is the price will not fall below $50,000, unless there is something wrong with the vehicle since there are a ton of
people who can afford a $50,000 CPO Tesla who can't afford to buy a $100,000 Tesla.

A 60KWH Model S or a Model S that can't be upgraded to work with the Supercharger network might "depreciate" a bit faster, but if the data about some Model S working perfectly to 500,000 to 1 million miles is true, the price should remain stable since the factors that usually cause depreciation to accelerate aren't part of the Tesla package. :cool:

I'm very curious how many people in are playing Tesla arbitrage. If you buy a Tesla using PayPal and pay with the right payment method, including tax incentives, you see a difference of $20,000 - $30,000 depending on where you live.

Last edited:
My guess, based on what the trend I've been observing over the past year, is that it would be a good idea for you to wait until Tesla has worked through the Model X backlog. Based on the auctions and listing I've been seeing, a good number of people are currently selling their maxed out Model S to buy a maxed out Model X. This is a good thing for Tesla but will probably cause CPO prices to remain lower than usual until supply and demand are normalized.

In short, many people in the market for a new Tesla will gladly pay full price for a new one. Those in the market for a great $60,000-$100,000 CPO vehicle are probably looking for a bargain price, or are more fixed in how much they can spend.

Also, many people selling their Model S are likely used to selling luxury $100,000 vehicles every 1-2 years, and are therefore basing the ask price on a $100,000 has vehicle.

My guess is the price will not fall below $50,000, unless there is something wrong with the vehicle since there are a ton of
people who can afford a $50,000 CPO Tesla who can't afford to buy a $100,000 Tesla.

A 60KWH Model S or a Model S that can't be upgraded to work with the Supercharger network might "depreciate" a bit faster, but if the data about some Model S working perfectly to 500,000 to 1 million miles is true, the price should remain stable since the factors that usually cause depreciation to accelerate aren't part of the Tesla package. :cool:

I'm very curious how many people in are playing Tesla arbitrage. If you buy a Tesla using PayPal and pay with the right payment method, including tax incentives, you see a difference of $20,000 - $30,000 depending on where you live.
Interesting. How does paying with PayPal affect it? You still have to pay sales tax in Cali.