Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the yoke steering only for Plaid/Plaid+ ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure it's by order date. It seems everyone that ordered before March (or maybe it was a certain date in late February) whether Plaid/Plaid+/LR FSD/no-FSD got a Yoke listed on their order. There was no option, but it was explicitly listed in the order form, so most of us felt we were going to get it. I believe Tesla changed the listing to not show it and I doubt that's really going to impact whether they get it or not.

Really, what benefit would explicitly listing that one feature on the order sheet give Tesla? None. It just gives reason for owners to complain/cancel if they don't get it, so they aren't explicitly showing it anymore. They probably should have done that earlier to protect themselves, but they like to push the envelope. I really doubt that one line in your order is going to mean that some models will get it and other won't that don't have it listed. I think they have every intention of putting them in the cars, but they walked it back because they are still working on the approvals and that is a way to protect themselves from the newer order complaints if the yoke is not approved or approval is delayed.

Just my thought, but it seems to make the most sense.... at least to me.

Is that the person from Mountain View with a Plaid+? I don't think original Plaid+ orders have ever shown yoke, probably because they were made before the January changes to the website. Our Plaid+ order doesn't show "yoke" but our LR order does.
My 9/23 Plaid order only got updated to reflect Plaid +. No changes to wheels nor mention of yoke.

I'm pretty sure it's by order date. It seems everyone that ordered before March (or maybe it was a certain date in late February) whether Plaid/Plaid+/LR FSD/no-FSD got a Yoke listed on their order. There was no option, but it was explicitly listed in the order form, so most of us felt we were going to get it. I believe Tesla changed the listing to not show it and I doubt that's really going to impact whether they get it or not.
As stated multiple times above, our Plaid+ order from September 2020 does not have the yoke listed. Our order was placed months before the yoke was unveiled so it was never listed on the order form either. They haven't updated the site yet to indicate Plaid+ orders have the yoke.

Our non-Plaid+ LR S & X orders both show the yoke.

Reactions: DukeofURL
There's never been an option to select yoke. I think the conversation is about when/why it may appear as a specifically called out item when you view your configuration.

I have a refreshed X (not Plaid) order in and it still says "Yoke" when I look at what's included.

I give up guessing. We will get what we get, when we get it, or we will choose not to accept it when offered and lose $100.

Reactions: foos and Hayseed_MS
Just ordered yesterday, Yoke on the long range is there on the order sheet. There is no option to select or not select the yoke, and didn't show till I finished the order from what I remember.

i could take it or leave it, the way I drive the yoke would be fine, now no stalks, that's what i'm more concerned about. we'll have to see how it plays out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-10 12.04.42 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-10 12.04.42 AM.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot 2021-03-10 12.05.19 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-10 12.05.19 AM.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: iustin
samgabbay94

5 hours ago·edited 4 hours ago
Helpful

From the previous thread:
  1. Confirmed to ship with the round steering wheel. Yoke will be a retrofit after regulatory approval. Choice will be given before delivery which wheel you want when that’s handled.
  2. “Smart Shift” can be turned off. Controls are on both the screen and the steering wheel. Nothing on the pad below the phone charger. The right most button on the wheel acting as a kind of a gear shifter. Clicking once will bring up a prompt on the screen. You will then scroll to which gear you want and click in. The right scroll wheel button is mainly used for Autopilot. So when it’s not in use, it can be used for gear shifting.
  3. Screen can tilt both ways.
  4. V11 looks insane (mode).
  5. This is the “Plaid” model. See battery level at 361 and close to its 100% limit. Total battery mileage on Plaid is 390mi. Putting the current battery level at 92-93% in the photo.
  6. Car has FSD Beta. Indicated by the Camera icon on the screen, next to WiFi/Bluetooth and HomeLink.

samgabbay94

5 hours ago·edited 4 hours ago
Helpful

From the previous thread:
  1. Confirmed to ship with the round steering wheel. Yoke will be a retrofit after regulatory approval. Choice will be given before delivery which wheel you want when that’s handled.
  2. “Smart Shift” can be turned off. Controls are on both the screen and the steering wheel. Nothing on the pad below the phone charger. The right most button on the wheel acting as a kind of a gear shifter. Clicking once will bring up a prompt on the screen. You will then scroll to which gear you want and click in. The right scroll wheel button is mainly used for Autopilot. So when it’s not in use, it can be used for gear shifting.
  3. Screen can tilt both ways.
  4. V11 looks insane (mode).
  5. This is the “Plaid” model. See battery level at 361 and close to its 100% limit. Total battery mileage on Plaid is 390mi. Putting the current battery level at 92-93% in the photo.
  6. Car has FSD Beta. Indicated by the Camera icon on the screen, next to WiFi/Bluetooth and HomeLink.
So yoke may never come out, in reality. Rest all sounds great.

I think he may have taken his post down from Reddit, but per the posts (and pics), he came across the blue and white S's at a SC station. The engineers driving them offered to let him sit inside and take pics and answered questions. Allegedly, it was one of the Tesla engineers that told him

If you are on the configurator, it doesn't matter which S you pick, as you scroll down through the options and get to the interior, it always shows a photo of the Yoke. It would be bad for them to show that pic but for you to get the regular steering wheel, but mistakes happen.

That being said, mules are being spotted in the wild doing thermal testing which just have the regular wheel like this one seen today.

165943671_10164917119315402_8369562991769742991_n.jpg