Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is There a Definitive Answer? 20" Sport Wheel Includes Rear Upper Fore Links / Control Arms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for bumping an older thread, but was there ever a definitive answer?

I believe it seems that the P3D style fore links have now been made standard.
Has anyone gotten their P3D+ aligned? I wonder if it changes the camber.
The spec other Model 3 is -2.0 -> 0.0 camber in the rear and the one I found measured ~ -0.5. Maybe the the P3D+ is slightly different.
Alignment specs attached

If anyone is still curious, I took my car in for software bugs, and asked the question if 20” OEM wheels will fit with or without the upper rear fore links. They called me and had me bring in a couple of wheels for them to try out.

Service center went ahead and installed the fore links without a single phone call, and $562.50 later, (let me leave without signing paperwork, sent to my email instead) they said I can install the 20”s without issue.

It’s worth mentioning, the upper rear fore links are no longer included in the 20” package on shop.tesla.com

Attachments

• 733D1BFC-1876-48C6-975D-4EC2B9765A51.jpeg
    733D1BFC-1876-48C6-975D-4EC2B9765A51.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 128
I sold my 20" wheels to a LR AWD owner and they worked fine. Not sure why Tesla's website says many of the wheel/tire packages won't fit certain models, because I've found it's often incorrect.
The offset is different. Performance cars have 35mm offset wheels while some or all other variants have 40mm offset. I see two possible reasons for this:

(A) the car’s wheel mount surface on the suspension assembly sticks out farther from the chassis on cheaper cars and needs a higher offset value on the wheel to keep it in the same position relative to the chassis.

(B) the car’s wheel mounting surface is the same distance from the chassis on all variants and the offset is smaller on Performance cars to bring the wheel closer to the car to make it more nimble.

wheel-offset.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone is still curious, I took my car in for software bugs, and asked the question if 20” OEM wheels will fit with or without the upper rear fore links. They called me and had me bring in a couple of wheels for them to try out.

Service center went ahead and installed the fore links without a single phone call, and $562.50 later, (let me leave without signing paperwork, sent to my email instead) they said I can install the 20”s without issue.

It’s worth mentioning, the upper rear fore links are no longer included in the 20” package on shop.tesla.com
Any idea why they are replacing the rear upper fore links and why the part is no longer included with the 20” package? Part number is 1044427-00-C. I have seen statements that the replacement fore links are just beefier for side impact crash related reasons but no evidence of this was offered. I saw another claim that all cars are now manufactured with the beefier fore links and again no evidence or supporting story.

I have a June 2019 SR+ and bought used 40mm offset 20” Sport wheels for non-Performance cars. I am concerned now about having the right combo of wheel and suspension.

Rear upper fore link labeled as part #3:
https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47402?partNumber=1044427-00-C&partId=6369837

Last edited:
D08B3BD1-3D14-4438-BA24-4DB7D0059D99.jpeg
View attachment 428503
FWIW,

My LR NP3D has the hollow/seam welded RR UPR FORE LINK ASSY.
Manufactured 11/18.

It is the same as the P3D above.
My SR+ manufactured 06/19 also has the weaker looking spot welded upper fore links like the Performance cars. I suspect it’s designed to sacrifice itself to protect the chassis. When people use larger wheels with low profile tires they lose significant tire depth that would have absorbed the impact of something they ran over. It doesn’t help the busy service centers if you bring in a warped chassis. Much easier for them to swap out a sacrificed suspension piece and wheel. Better for insurance rates too. I have fish tailed into curbs more than once, in ICE cars, and was grateful I only had to replace a suspension piece and a wheel.

Last edited:
The offset is different. Performance cars have 35mm offset wheels while some or all other variants have 40mm offset. I see two possible reasons for this:

(A) the car’s wheel mount surface on the suspension assembly sticks out farther from the chassis on cheaper cars and needs a higher offset value on the wheel to keep it in the same position relative to the chassis.

(B) the car’s wheel mounting surface is the same distance from the chassis on all variants and the offset is smaller on Performance cars to bring the wheel closer to the car to make it more nimble.

wheel-offset.jpg
Yes, but my point still stands that you can fit the OEM 20" wheels on all variants of the Model 3 without issue and the website was incorrect. 35 vs. 40 offset is essentially negligible here.

Nearly all OEM vehicle manufacturers round offsets to the nearest 5mm anyways, so as was mentioned above, the 35mm vs. 40mm offset is likely only a 2-3mm difference in reality, since that's how much the thinner crimped steel rotor hats on the performance package are recessed on the hub compared to the standard brakes.

Lastly, a narrower track width that you mentioned under your second bullet point would not make the car more nimble, but rather the opposite.