Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is There a Definitive Answer? 20" Sport Wheel Includes Rear Upper Fore Links / Control Arms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again- there were two suspension changes on the RWD LR models.

One is for cars built after Dec 17, 2017. Both front and rear spring/shock assemblies changed.

The second is cars built after June 19, 2018. Only the fronts were changed.

I am familiar with the first change: more comfort.

I am not familiar with the second change: fronts only. Can you elaborate or point me to a thread? Thanks.

I was referring to this thread, in which it was discovered that the 20" performance wheels had a lip bored out of them, because the rotor hub was slightly different on the Performance Upgrade P3D: T Sportline 19s on a P3D+ rattling like crazy
Yep, I was the one who first discovered that problem and posted about it in early august when I got one of the early P3D+ cars. The bored out ring in the wheel doesn't affect how they fit on the non-performance hubs though. And I believe Tesla has that bored out ring on all the 19" wheels now as well, hence why I mentioned it's weird that their website still says they won't fit when they will.

Reactions: Jedi2155
I am familiar with the first change: more comfort.

I am not familiar with the second change: fronts only. Can you elaborate or point me to a thread? Thanks.

I can point you to the one where I just repeat the same info (with parts catalog links, but I think they've pulled some info out since then)...initially it was to point out the AWD P and Non-P get exactly the same drive units (same motors, same inverters) but I also checked out some suspension parts and mention the changes there too.

All LR motors are the same- MR one is NOT

I don't think anybody knows what was changed other than the Dec 2017 change officially being mentioned as softening the ride- the June one I'm not sure anybody was aware of until it was noticed in the parts catalog.

For the part catalog, the diff is 40mm vs 35mm.
WHEEL, 20X8.5J ET40, SPORT - SILVER (1234222-00-A, 18" and 19" wheels are ET40 too)
PERF WHEEL, 20X8.5J ET35, SPORT - SILVER (1234227-00-D)

So technically the wheels are not compatible even if they fit.
What about that makes them "not compatible"? My aftermarket wheels are +40 in rear but +35 in front, are you saying those aren't compatible either? Changing offset is one of those most common things when considering other wheel options and a 5mm difference is almost negligible.

The 5mm difference on the 20" wheels is to account for the 3mm machined ring on the center bore, meaning when combined with +35mm offset, the wheels protrude outwards 2mm more than the +40mm OEM wheels.... It's not an issue

I have the definitive answer! The P3D+ has different "fore links" than the AWD. @AlanSubie4Life was over and we checked.
The construction of the link is different. It looks stronger to me as it doesn't rely on a welded tube for strength. All other part numbers except the spring are the same. I bet the link is needed to handle the incredible torque from the binned motor! :p
P3D+:
fullsizeoutput_2276.jpeg

AWD:
YYicq4RZRO2fxqkq0AyIHQ.jpg

I have the definitive answer! The P3D+ has different "fore links" than the AWD. @AlanSubie4Life was over and we checked.
The construction of the link is different. It looks stronger to me as it doesn't rely on a welded tube for strength. All other part numbers except the spring are the same. I bet the link is needed to handle the incredible torque from the binned motor! :p
P3D+:
View attachment 359642
AWD:
View attachment 359643

Okay, so based on the pictures you've provided the one on the AWD appears stronger to me than the one on the P3D+. The arm on the AWD appears to be a solid piece of bar stock, while the one on the P3D+ appears to be two pieces of half tube spot welded along a seam running the edge, thereby making a hollow "tube." Am I missing something?

That seems odd that the performance model would have a part that is likely weaker. Did you take any length measurements or anything to further compare?
I'm not a mechanical engineer so It don't know which one is weaker. I feel like the performance one might be stronger since it doesn't rely on the weld strength. How could the rear wheels affect crash tests? It is quite a mystery!
I didn't bother trying to measure the length. I doubt I could measure them accurately enough without removing them.

Maybe the new fore link is lighter to offset the weight of the boat anchors? :)

For the record, the P3D+ is an October build and the AWD is an August build. Though presumably this difference has nothing to do with build date, based on all available information.

I'm not a mechanical engineer so It don't know which one is weaker. I feel like the performance one might be stronger since it doesn't rely on the weld strength. How could the rear wheels affect crash tests? It is quite a mystery!
I didn't bother trying to measure the length. I doubt I could measure them accurately enough without removing them.

Of course it's weaker, and of course it relies on welds. The strongest structure is a column. The AWD has a solid column, while the P3D has two half pipes that are spot welded.

Maybe they used two different designs so that you can tell them apart even if the sticker falls off. They're probably slightly different lengths.
I guess what I was thinking is that you can remove the welds from the P3D+ design and it would still function.

Maybe they used two different designs so that you can tell them apart even if the sticker falls off. They're probably slightly different lengths.
I guess what I was thinking is that you can remove the welds from the P3D+ design and it would still function.

No it wouldn't. Both halves of the pipe would bend if they weren't holding each other. Obviously, both are apparently strong enough. But based on looking at them I would be willing to be that the AWD one has more strength. Perhaps the P3D one is designed to be lighter?

Maybe the new fore link is lighter to offset the weight of the boat anchors? :)

For the record, the P3D+ is an October build and the AWD is an August build. Though presumably this difference has nothing to do with build date, based on all available information.

FWIW,

My LR NP3D has the hollow/seam welded RR UPR FORE LINK ASSY.
Manufactured 11/18.

It is the same as the P3D above.