Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a recommended windshield washer fluid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

radiocycle

Supporting Member
Apr 13, 2017
Portland, OR
So I went into the nearest car parts store, here in the SF Bay Area, and picked up a gallon jug of Prestone (...name brand, should be ok I thought) Bug Wash~Summer Windshield Washer Fluid. The label crows about 'Bug Stopper' and 'Power Cleaner' and 'Repels Water, advanced technology' and 'SAFE for rain sensing windshield wipers'. I bring it home to fill the reservoir and decided to check the manual. To my dismay, the manual states:

Caution: Do not add formulated washer
fluids that contain water repellent or bug
wash. These fluids can cause streaking,
smearing, and squeaking or other noises.

I've read some of the older threads here on this topic but that didn't help much either. For instance, a BBC article was sited that claimed plain water alone should never be used to fill the reservoir, as it is a breeding ground for disease causing bacteria. Some guys have used Rain-X, while others say that product caused problems with their system.

So does Tesla have a *recommended* washer fluid? If not, is there a brand readily available that you've used over time, in a modern system such as the M3, that works well and doesn't cause problems with wiper blades, auto weather sensing, etc. that you recommend? Thanks!

r

Reactions: Wayne360 and Tezzie
I’m pretty sure the stuff the SC uses is about the same as the ‘normal blue stuff’ you get at the ‘gas station’. No special qualities except it won’t freeze. It is probably best not to use any special additives (built in or added) like RainX, etc.

I’ve never had a problem with what I use which is what the local Sunoco sells.

I’m pretty sure the stuff the SC uses is about the same as the ‘normal blue stuff’ you get at the ‘gas station’. No special qualities except it won’t freeze. It is probably best not to use any special additives (built in or added) like RainX, etc.

I’ve never had a problem with what I use which is what the local Sunoco sells.
Likewise. I use stuff that I get from CVS, the supermarket, or other usual outlets for washer fluid, nothing fancy. Have had performance about as good as on previous cars, no real issues.

For instance, a BBC article was sited that claimed plain water alone should never be used to fill the reservoir, as it is a breeding ground for disease causing bacteria.
Unless you’re planning on drinking out of your windshield wipers, the main reason for not using water is you don’t want it to freeze and cause your lines to crack.

Happened to my brother once as well for the same reason, in the line going back to the rear window. If I recall correctly it cost him ~$1000 to get it fixed as it involved a large amount of disassembly to access it.
I decided to get a new car. That same winter the engine light came on, I think it was the glow plugs, I developed an oil leak, the brakes wore out, and then to top things off the neighbour's kid accidentally broke my windshield. I said "That's it! New car!"

BMW and Mercedes both sell a concentrated washer fluid. It's about $10 for a pint bottle, and you can mix it in different dilutions depending on the desired freezing point. You can get it at the parts counter at any BMW of MB dealer, and several Amazon sellers have it as well. Here's a link to the BMW version:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PYLFM4O/ref=psdc_15719651_t3_B072YV9LQ3

Someone in another thread mentioned that their SC uses these tablets, which appear to be a concentrated version of the BMW / MB fluids, minus the aclohol:
https://www.amazon.com/303-230371-Instant-Windshield-Washer/dp/B000FF76KM I haven't tried these, but I have used some of thin maker's other products, and they were very good.

It is possible that the windshield reservoir in the car was contaminated by tap water but that is far from obvious. The bacteria are ubiquitous, and they find a comfy home in the UK auto where it neither gets too hot (65C+) or too cold (below 25C) to kill them. Periodic use of a fluid to flush the system and kill bacteria and fungus is a fair idea, but particularly important in mild climates year round.

• Informative
Reactions: radiocycle