Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a trick to wake car from passenger side?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I can't believe I haven't encountered this use case before... but here it is.

Driving solo up to a supercharger... get out plug in the cable.

Now I want to recline in the passenger seat and maybe use my laptop from there... (no steering wheel in the way)
so I hop into the passenger side through that door.

Center console is black... touching does nothing. I want HVAC and stereo ...

I have to get out, go back into the car on the driver side, everything wakes up ... great ... then I slide across the middle of the car into the passenger seat .. and do my thing, car remains alive. I can touch and use the console.

There's got to a be a better way than sliding across front seats to accomplish keeping the car alive.

What's the trick?

Could it be tied to how you have the car programmed to unlock? I think there's a setting for driver's door only or all doors I know on my car if I approach the right side and open the passenger door or any door all the screens will wake up, air conditioning and or heating will begin, radio comes on, everything works as if I had opened the driver door.

No I'm not sure that any of that is relevant to your situation I've only had my car for about 3 weeks and I'm learning new things and figuring out stuff everyday.

there is a glitch that occurs when trying to get the handles to present when approaching from the rear, I suspect this is what is happening to you. we use a move called the tesla two step, which is walk a bit past the handles on the front door then tap the handle and it should present itself

Possible work around: Leave your driver's door open just a bit.

Plug in SC.

Sit in passenger's seat.

Reach across and pull driver's door closed.

That should do it?

What is odd: the passenger's seat has a sensor to detect an occupant. Why doesn't it use that data to allow you to power the car up?

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Anther trick I found when washing the car and wanted to listen to the stereo, push the brake pedal then get out of the car. A/C and radio will stay on for about 30 minutes as long as the car senses the key fob nearby.

What I would (plan to) do in this case is use ‘Remote S’ on my phone/Apple Watch. :D May be a pain that we *have* to, but it’s a good solution. My 9 year old BMW (evaporating today, I hope), knows where I am from the fob in my pocket, and I can open either door. Come on, Tesla!

(Remote S also works for enabling Camper Mode for, um, camping, car washing, etc.!)

Anther trick I found when washing the car and wanted to listen to the stereo, push the brake pedal then get out of the car. A/C and radio will stay on for about 30 minutes as long as the car senses the key fob nearby.

I think this is a strong possibility and may be the answer, I recall this same keep alive trick to accommodate passengers remaining in car when driver exits.. this was before the software update to auto-detect "passenger still in car" (butt sensor) and new behaviour of just keeping the car alive automatically instead of having them do a poke at the console within 30 seconds after driver exited. ...

I'll give the brake pedal poke method a try before shutting driver door...

Last edited:
Could it be tied to how you have the car programmed to unlock? I think there's a setting for driver's door only or all doors I know on my car if I approach the right side and open the passenger door or any door all the screens will wake up, air conditioning and or heating will begin, radio comes on, everything works as if I had opened the driver door.

For the record and completeness... the unlock settings on my car are "ALL doors" and "no auto-present" (must touch a front door handle).

I think you'll notice the screen wake behavior for an approaching fob is different depending on whether the car is just parked and sitting there (screen comes on), or if it's plugged in and charging (remains dark). Weird hey?

there is a glitch that occurs when trying to get the handles to present when approaching from the rear, I suspect this is what is happening to you. we use a move called the tesla two step, which is walk a bit past the handles on the front door then tap the handle and it should present itself

this is a bit OT but.. I've grown tired of auto-present and have turned it off. I must touch a front handle to get them all to present.

So my settings are "ALL doors" and "no auto-present" handles.

With these setting, here's the behaviour, and I think it's always been like this...

Walk up with fob in pocket from the rear of car... doors do not present (setting is off) nor do they unlock... but car will allow a finger touch on hatch release to open hatch. When you open hatch this way, all doors unlock AND present as well.

So I can approach and be standing at rear of car and hatch will be responsive to touch, but my awaiting passengers get no joy from touching side handles. Only until I move to side of car will side handles respond to touch. (I think you're talking about a version of this with your two-step.. and auto-present you have to move to side of car.)

Only the front 2 handles are responsive to touch, with some revision of software they stopped allowing a rear door touch.

this is a bit OT but.. I've grown tired of auto-present and have turned it off. I must touch a front handle to get them all to present..
This doesn't seem right. Although only the front is fob activated, you don't have to touch them get all four handles to open. Check the settings because you might have it set to only open the driver's door rather than all four.

To answer the OP's question, just opening the passenger door will wake the car up. Touching the display just when it goes black (after closing the door) will reactivate the screen.

This doesn't seem right. Although only the front is fob activated, you don't have to touch them get all four handles to open. Check the settings because you might have it set to only open the driver's door rather than all four.

To answer the OP's question, just opening the passenger door will wake the car up. Touching the display just when it goes black (after closing the door) will reactivate the screen.

I've got the "no auto-present" option set. That's why a touch is necessary. Only the front 2 respond to touch in this mode. When touched, all four present.

I am the OP.

With the current software I challenge you to do what is bolded when the car is supercharging... and tell me your observation. You may find this is different behavior if the car is charging or not.
Screen did not wake up.. (MAYBE I didn't touch it immediately fast enough after shutting passenger door... what's the required timeframe..?? I will re-try next time.)

... AND BY THE WAY thanks everyone for all the community help on figuring out how to use our cars.!!!

With the current software I challenge you to do what is bolded when the car is supercharging... and tell me your observation. You may find this is different behavior if the car is charging or not.
Screen did not wake up.. (MAYBE I didn't touch it immediately fast enough after shutting passenger door... what's the required timeframe..?? I will re-try next time.)

I've not tried it at an SC. I did try it plugged in at the house. I went to the passenger side, opened the door and sat down, closed the door and touched the black screen and it came back on. I do have auto present on. I was thinking of the other setting that just opens the driver's door, not the auto present. AFAIK, the time is about five seconds. Next time I'm at an SC I'll try it (if I remember).

I can't believe I haven't encountered this use case before... but here it is.

Driving solo up to a supercharger... get out plug in the cable.

Now I want to recline in the passenger seat and maybe use my laptop from there... (no steering wheel in the way)
so I hop into the passenger side through that door.

Center console is black... touching does nothing. I want HVAC and stereo ...

I have to get out, go back into the car on the driver side, everything wakes up ... great ... then I slide across the middle of the car into the passenger seat .. and do my thing, car remains alive. I can touch and use the console.

There's got to a be a better way than sliding across front seats to accomplish keeping the car alive.

What's the trick?

With the car in Drive, go to Controls > E-Brake & Power Off > Activate the parking brake. This should allow you to get out of the car with it remaining on. To get out of this mode, you can put the car in Reverse or Drive.

OT a bit .. but I just noticed this today... for some reason my rear handles are responsive to touch and will present all four. I have been saying in this thread that only front 2 react.

I guess, sometimes, only the front 2 are responsive and sometimes all 4 are responsive.

Nuts!!

Now I'm going to have to figure out in what circumstance/s I get 2 versus 4 door touch reactivity...

With the car in Drive, go to Controls > E-Brake & Power Off > Activate the parking brake. This should allow you to get out of the car with it remaining on. To get out of this mode, you can put the car in Reverse or Drive.

Another good suggestion to try out... thanks!

I'm going to make an effort to try all these and report back which one/s work to keep alive for this "I am my own passenger when parked to supercharge" scenario.