Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to re-order FM stations in the list?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I usually listen to FM radio in my Model 3, and have a bunch of FM stations marked as favorites. There is a button on the bottom bar that opens a list and I can select a station - very convenient. However the list appears to be in random order and I can't figure a way to re-arrange it. It is kind of bad cause from the 3-4 stations I listed the most one is one the top and two near the bottom and I constantly have to scroll up and down a page when I hit a station running commercials. So is there any way in current UI to move stations up or down the list of favorites? Thx.

On a fairly unrelated note - the heated seats button being hidden is super-annoying. Ever since the ill-fated UI redesign - we need to click 3 times in order to change heated seats setting (open climate, click the button, close climate). And there is a lot of empty space around the temperature number on the bottom of the main screen - that is blank and unutilized - but no way to put the most used button on the main screen.

Best I can tell, it puts the station you favorited last on top. I don't know if your can reorder it from there, but if I'm right, you can choose the order by putting your least favorite stations first...

Frankly, in my short experience with the radio, they can do a lot better. Especially with so much screen space available.

Best I can tell, it puts the station you favorited last on top. I don't know if your can reorder it from there, but if I'm right, you can choose the order by putting your least favorite stations first...

Frankly, in my short experience with the radio, they can do a lot better. Especially with so much screen space available.

Nice - that actually worked. Thanks!!
Basically I can open the list of stations, select one (near the bottom) then uncheck the star/favorite mark. The station disappears from the list. Then I click the star again making it favorite - and boom, it shows up on the top of the list. So equivalent of "move to the top" button. Good enough for me.

Ahh, that’s a good idea. But seriously, why isn’t there a touch-and-hold to rearrange all of them?! We’re driving a car as close to a spaceship as there is and we’re discussing workarounds for arranging radio stations!

Reactions: ss71
Ahh, that’s a good idea. But seriously, why isn’t there a touch-and-hold to rearrange all of them?! We’re driving a car as close to a spaceship as there is and we’re discussing workarounds for arranging radio stations!

The car can drive itself but can't shuffle songs in Tidal.

There are a lot of things wrong with audio integration in the Model 3. You're absolutely right that we should be able to do simple things like this. My personal theory is that Tesla started to develop its UI before CarPlay and Android Auto had gained widespread adoption, and so took a different path. Since then they've been surpassed by CarPlay and Android Auto and haven't done much recently to catch up. But that's an explanation, not an excuse, if it's even true.

The audio integration is probably my biggest complaint about the car. Can't shuffle in Tidal. I still can't log into any Spotify account. If you use anything other than Spotify, Tidal, or the radio you won't have access to high quality audio to take advantage of the great sound system. Who's really going to put all their MP3s on a flash drive? Or re-encode a bunch of CDs to lossless to put on a flash drive? It's not the early 2000s anymore, people stream now. I personally use Amazon Music HD, but I'm limited to bluetooth from my phone so HD is pointless. Would it have been that much money to put in an aux jack? Oh and Tidal won't play music that I've downloaded without a premium connectivity subscription. Dumb, dumb, dumb things all around when it comes to audio.

The only saving grace is that we have a great local public radio music station, WXPN, and it sounds amazing in HD radio, and that's what I listen to 90% of the time driving around locally.

It is mind boggling that the music functionality in these cars is more restricted than what you will find in some 15-20 year old vehicles. The fact that I have to use my phone to manually select different artists and playlists while connected to Bluetooth is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen since the introduction of Bluetooth audio. It's almost like Tesla is doing this on purpose to troll us. How advanced is their software really when it can't even interface with music files via bluetooth?

The audio integration is probably my biggest complaint about the car. [snip] Dumb, dumb, dumb things all around when it comes to audio.

Who's really going to put all their MP3s on a flash drive? Or re-encode a bunch of CDs to lossless to put on a flash drive? It's not the early 2000s anymore, people stream now. I personally use Amazon Music HD, but I'm limited to bluetooth from my phone so HD is pointless.
98% of what I listen to in my car is from a flash drive, but not much of it is MP3 (mostly FLAC) and I RIP all of my music to lossless.

Why do I go through that? You answered that in your post: HD streaming is pointless as the car is limited by the BT connection. I put a high-end aftermarket system in my car because that is important to me and the only way I can enjoy the system is to its fullest is lossless FLAC off of a USB drive. (You can also do WAV for lossless, but it is severely limited in it's metadata capabilities so most folks, like myself, opt for FLAC.)

98% of what I listen to in my car is from a flash drive, but not much of it is MP3 (mostly FLAC) and I RIP all of my music to lossless.

Why do I go through that? You answered that in your post: HD streaming is pointless as the car is limited by the BT connection. I put a high-end aftermarket system in my car because that is important to me and the only way I can enjoy the system is to its fullest is lossless FLAC off of a USB drive. (You can also do WAV for lossless, but it is severely limited in it's metadata capabilities so most folks, like myself, opt for FLAC.)

You are harcore though. Some of us don't need studio quality sound in our car. We just want decent sound and easy access to our music library. We don't want to spend hours converting our library to flash drive and having to manually update it everytime we add new music. We would just like these cars to be like every other car on the road where you could plug your phone in and get basic ipod functionality and sound quality. Heck I'm at the point where I would be happy if Tesla supported indexing of music over Bluetooth so I didn't have to fiddle with my phone when in my car. It's like the decision makers at Tesla have contempt for people that like to listen to music.

I’ve already moved all my music to a Bluesound Vault, both existing CDs and more recently higher resolution downloads. All are FLAC format. It’s a simple matter to copy the entire Vault database to a flash drive which plugs into the USB-C port below the sliding cover.

On a fairly unrelated note - the heated seats button being hidden is super-annoying. Ever since the ill-fated UI redesign - we need to click 3 times in order to change heated seats setting (open climate, click the button, close climate). And there is a lot of empty space around the temperature number on the bottom of the main screen - that is blank and unutilized - but no way to put the most used button on the main screen.

Somewhere ≈2020.16 they restored the ability to put the seat heater controls in the bottom bar. (Tesla develops in parallel branches,= so higher release numbers might not be cumulative.) The feature is kind of hidden:
  • Long-press the … button to enable dragging "app" icons the full set, then the seat heaters will appear at the top of the box of apps.
  • Drag either of those seat heater icons down to the bottom bar, and they'll both drop into their dedicated places on the bottom bar.
This does make it easier to accidentally turn on seat heaters when you go to adjust the temperature, so I'll leave them hidden most of the time.