Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there truly no cruise control resume without EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it makes you feel better, EAP doesn't have resume either. The behavior changes so if you set it while below the speed limit*, it sets to limit*, and above limit, it sets to current speed. Honestly I really dislike that behavior and just want to always set to current speed, since there are many times it doesn't know the correct speed limit, and I don't like it making the "decision" to speed up inappropriately. Other threads exist on this topic with most people against current design due to safety concerns.

* - plus any offset setting in Autopilot settings.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and DR61
My Model 3 LR does not have EAP or FSD. (Re)engaging the dumb CC is the same as engaging it.

Exactly. That is horrible.

I have to manually get back to speed and engage the cruise control. A resume button should bring you back to your set speed before braking or disengaging cruise control.

This is something that has been standard on cars since the 80s. They really can't program this feature? Give me a flipping break.

If it makes you feel better, EAP doesn't have resume either. The behavior changes so if you set it while below the speed limit*, it sets to limit*, and above limit, it sets to current speed. Honestly I really dislike that behavior and just want to always set to current speed, since there are many times it doesn't know the correct speed limit, and I don't like it making the "decision" to speed up inappropriately. Other threads exist on this topic with most people against current design due to safety concerns.

* - plus any offset setting in Autopilot settings.

Unreal that $5k EAP doesn't have it either. So you're either always on EAP or need to completely reengage it.

I have to manually get back to speed and engage the cruise control. A resume button should bring you back to your set speed before braking or disengaging cruise control.

This is something that has been standard on cars since the 80s. They really can't program this feature? Give me a flipping break.

Why are you automatically jumping to the extremes and assuming that either the car can't support it or Tesla doesn't want to do it?

Yes, it would be nice to have, but it's a feature that isn't worth losing sleep over.

Hilarious listening to people's excuses for losing basic cruise control functionality. Basic attitude is..
"Hey, it's Tesla. You don't need that feature."
OR
"You need to pay $5k to get a feature that exists on 99.9% of the rest of the vehicles on the road. Shame on you for not handing over your hard earned money on something that you won't use enough to justify $5k."

Whether or not you've ever used resume or not is irrelevant. This feature exists as a standard cruise control function on almost every automobile since the 80's.
Tesla charges an outrageous amount of money for TACC (which is quickly becoming standard on new automobiles).
Without TACC, then they should absolutely support full basic cruise control including resume. Even $15k Honda Fits have this as a standard feature . Hell, I remember driving our family's 1981 Econoline Van which had "RESUME" cruise control.

FTR: I never suggested Tesla can't add it. I'm floored it doesn't exist already.

non-issue for me (I have EAP and use it a lot). Most disengagements are just autosteer (where I take control of the wheel, but TACC is still active). I then re-enable autosteer when safe.

As for completely disengaging EAP, such as with a brake pedal press (which happens when I don't feel confident enough in the machine to act appropriately), I'll manually drive until things look stable and then re-engage EAP.

The reason why I don't need resume anymore is because TACC is pretty darn good at slowing to move with traffic. I can see it being more useful with dumb CC because you have to cancel it with manual braking a lot more.

I've never used resume for cruise control. If something happens where i have to get out of cruise I just go back to the speed I want to cruise at again later. Do people really drop down to say 60mph and then want to resume cruising at 75?

Sometimes, yes.

Construction zone.
Tollbooth.
Police car/emergency vehicles*.
Slow driver.

(I don't use cruise much and when I do I don't usually resume, because it accelerates faster than I do. But my wife uses it more than I.)

It's really crap that there's no resume, but that's obviously due to the loss of controls.

* No, I'm not one of those annoying people. We have a "slow down or** move over" law and sometimes you can't move over.
** I'm also not one of the annoying people who think the rule has an "and" in it.

Just a bit of history on this issue:

The Model S and X both have a resume function (if the vehicle has AP or EAP, not sure about pre-AP cars or cars where AP wasn't purchased). It's implemented there because the Model S/X have a dedicated cruise control stalk to the left of the steering wheel. Pull sets cruise to the current speed limit + offset if no cruising speed had previously been set, or resumes if a previous cruise speed had been set. Push disengages, and up/down does +/- 1 MPH at the first detent, or +/- 5 MPH on the second detent. You can also push to the first detent up or down to set cruise to the current speed regardless of anything else. Double-pull engages autosteer.

In the Model 3, they took the same code and reused it, but the model 3 doesn't have the 4-way dedicated cruise control stalk, so they lost a lot of this functionality when they mapped it to the gear shift lever. Basically, we get the same functions as the Model S/X push & pull, without the resume, implemented as up/down on the gear shift lever. Model 3's +/- 1 MPH and +/- 5 MPH are on the steering wheel's right thumbwheel, but cannot set to current speed.

They really need to fix this on the Model 3, probably by using the 1st/2nd detents on the gear shift lever to do different things.

Does the "dumb" cruise control still show the set cruise speed on the screen and allow you to adjust it with the scroll wheel? If so, it seems like resume isn't nearly as necessary. In older cars you had no idea what speed your cruise control was set to and the only way to change it was to adjust your actual speed.

Does the "dumb" cruise control still show the set cruise speed on the screen and allow you to adjust it with the scroll wheel? If so, it seems like resume isn't nearly as necessary. In older cars you had no idea what speed your cruise control was set to and the only way to change it was to adjust your actual speed.
Yes, though the display is completely pointless, as it always shows exactly the speed you're traveling, except when below 18MPH.

<<shrug>>
I prefer this behavior. One thing for sure, you and I have very different ideas of "horrible." Getting tortured to death by a bone saw is one example of what I would call "horrible." Trump responding by talking about an arms deal is what I call "horrible."

CC not working the way I am used to would be at worse a missing preference. What is it around this forum and the apparent need to engage in hyperbole ?

Last edited:
Resume would scare the heck out of me in traffic...

I like how Tesla did it.

I get to the speed where I won’t drive through the back window of that Old-persons-mobile ahead of me, then I hit CC back on, and don’t have to worry about suddenly smashing into them...

I never really used CC before my M3 because finding a stretch of road with nobody else on it for 500 miles is just not easy to do in California... and evertime I’d use CC I would lurch forward and near rear-end somebody...

The M3 means I can enter cruise control even if I’ve got granny ahead of me and some Cholo in a low rider behind me, with a kid doing 80 in a school zone to the side...
- my speed won’t be all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.