Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this curb rash worth $100 to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgot attachment

Attachments

• 20200425_112032.jpg
    20200425_112032.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 1,126
Tesla charging me $100 to repair the pictured rash they sold me the car with... Do you guys think it's fair, right price?

Depends if they are spot fixing it or re-doing the entire wheel. If they are spot touching up, then it's pricey. If they are refinishing the entire wheel, then it's a deal. My guess is they are just doing touch-up for $100.

If you notice the damage and it bothers you then you should get it fixed if you can afford it. What are your expectations of the repair? If it’s important to you to have it look like new then you should ask to see examples of repaired wheels to see they meet you expectations. $100 for a wheel that looks nearly the same as it did prior to the damage would be worth it to me. If the end result would look like an unblended, hand-painted, quick fix that didn’t match in color, then it wouldn’t be worth it to me and I would opt to get it repaired elsewhere.

Reasonable for a dealer. Probably could do a bit better shopping around or DIY.

You are right... I was just wondering if there was anything that was an incentive to do with Tesla since they know their stuff best... Although it sounds like he is outsourcing it...

Depends if they are spot fixing it or re-doing the entire wheel. If they are spot touching up, then it's pricey. If they are refinishing the entire wheel, then it's a deal. My guess is they are just doing touch-up for $100.

Thank you for the input, good point and you're probably right...

If you notice the damage and it bothers you then you should get it fixed if you can afford it. What are your expectations of the repair? If it’s important to you to have it look like new then you should ask to see examples of repaired wheels to see they meet you expectations. $100 for a wheel that looks nearly the same as it did prior to the damage would be worth it to me. If the end result would look like an unblended, hand-painted, quick fix that didn’t match in color, then it wouldn’t be worth it to me and I would opt to get it repaired elsewhere.

You're right... Honestly doesn't bother me much... But if this were fixed... I'd have no rash any where, is all... Thank you for your input...

They’re prob going to farm out the work to a mobile wheel repair company. Small rashes like that usually run $125-$150 so $100 ain’t bad at all. Just ask up front the steps they’re planning to take to fix it so you know what to expect.

Reactions: drklain
youtube shows you how, but for something like that its generally:
Sand down by hand with sandpaper to smooth it out
Mask surrounding area
Spray with silver wheel paint found at all autostores/walmart
Voila.

Forgot attachment

Look, you care enough about it to find a coin (who has coins anyway!), take a photo of the curb rash with the coin you found and make a forum post.

Get it fixed. Stop thinking about it. End your misery, pay that $100, and enjoy your car!

Seriously, $100 is a reasonable price to pay as I'm sure you'll regret seeing that curb rush every time you approach your car. You can try doing it yourself if you are good with stuff like that but if it were me, I'd pay to have it done professionally.

Tesla charging me $100 to repair the pictured rash they sold me the car with... Do you guys think it's fair, right price?
It depends on how they are doing the repair. For that small area you could do a pretty good job with touch up paint in a brush applicator. That's just a few dollars and a bit of your time. You will be able to detect the repair but I suspect you won't notice it after a few days.

However if they do it like a "real" curb rash the entire wheel needs to be repainted and the area damaged filed down. I had that done by a mobile guy in a super expensive mobile paint unit and it took hours for the two wheels at $150 a piece. So in your case $100 would be a deal.

Get a bottle of this wheel touch up paint from your SC. It works like magic on tiny rashes. It worked for me and was easier than I'd ever imagined. Just do a little then let it dry then do a little more and keep going until you're happy. I had no problem driving between applications. Just clean the spot before painting.

IMG_1822.jpeg

Reactions: Fragger