Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this damage justified for $4500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unluckily I had a car accident with my 2022 model 3 and have been visiting several body shops recently. I didn't a full coverage insurance so I need to pay the repair myself. The damage includes fender, front lamps and front bumper. There is a minor deformation to the fender, front lamp cover and front bumper are damaged but the light works well. One of the body shops gave me an estimate of $4500 shown below. He told me Color blend of the hood and front door is required to guarantee color match. My questions are:

1. Do I need to replace the emblem? I think it's unnecessary since it's good and reusable?
2. Is it required to replace the repeater lamp? It works well now. The body shop guy said 2022 model 3 has Part has related component that cannot be reused/reinstalled;
3. To do color blend with front door, does it require to reinstall belt, mirror, handle and trim panel? Seems too many stuffs for me.
4. Is there any other parts that I can negotiate?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 11.39.45 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 11.52.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 11.52.47 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 550
  1. The emblem is attached with double-sided tape that cannot be reused. If you want to peel off all the old tape and reapply, you can save $28, but it's a lot of work.
  2. The repeater lamp has a snap-on cover that you're not supposed to reuse, but that cover can stay on. People remove those repeaters all the time for PPF installation and it's a non-issue.
  3. When they paint the bumper and fender in a slightly mismatching color, they will deliberately overspray some of that color onto your hood and door to blend the mismatch softly. They then clearcoat all the affected panels and this can't be done well with masking - they need to remove anything that touches the paint, like the side mirror and belt molding.
  4. Consider a used headlight from eBay or one of the online Tesla junkyards.

Upvote 0
  1. The emblem is attached with double-sided tape that cannot be reused. If you want to peel off all the old tape and reapply, you can save $28, but it's a lot of work.
  2. The repeater lamp has a snap-on cover that you're not supposed to reuse, but that cover can stay on. People remove those repeaters all the time for PPF installation and it's a non-issue.
  3. When they paint the bumper and fender in a slightly mismatching color, they will deliberately overspray some of that color onto your hood and door to blend the mismatch softly. They then clearcoat all the affected panels and this can't be done well with masking - they need to remove anything that touches the paint, like the side mirror and belt molding.
  4. Consider a used headlight from eBay or one of the online Tesla junkyards.
Thanks for replying. For answer 2, do you mean I can reuse the repeater lamp and ask the body shop to remove this part?

Upvote 0
didn't a full coverage insurance

So this is adding salt to the wound, but you are paying “retail” for those repairs. When an insurance company is involved they pay a discounted rate. Another solid reason for having insurance is if they find anything else, it is covered. In your case you will get another Bill.

Offer them 25% less and see what happens.

Reactions: neo1738 and Adam3
Upvote 0
Yikes! Well, that seems to be what comes with the ownership of a Tesla. I'm curious about the "full coverage part"? In "Duh-Nuh-Duh", we generally can't get away with that - especially on a new car. I'm sure the repair would far outweigh the cost of full coverage here.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, honestly. It's just that one can never trust the other drivers. You didn't mention if this accident was a result of another driver or yourself.

Upvote 0
Guess I’ll also add something constructive too. Had my bumper, one headlight replaced and front fender repainted/blended and the cost was $3400. But because I had insurance it was just my deductible. With so many sensors, cameras, expensive labor, and my god just the potential for battery damage why would you not carry full insurance.

Upvote 0
Guys, car "insurance" is basically just a line of credit with a secret and unlimited interest rate. Whether the OP has a $5k deductible, $500 deductible, or no coverage at all for collision/uninsured doesn't really matter. The OP still has to pay the full cost of the repair, either today in cash, or for the rest of their lives in jacked up insurance rates.

Upvote 0
Unluckily I had a car accident with my 2022 model 3 and have been visiting several body shops recently. I didn't a full coverage insurance so I need to pay the repair myself. The damage includes fender, front lamps and front bumper. There is a minor deformation to the fender, front lamp cover and front bumper are damaged but the light works well. One of the body shops gave me an estimate of $4500 shown below. He told me Color blend of the hood and front door is required to guarantee color match. My questions are:

1. Do I need to replace the emblem? I think it's unnecessary since it's good and reusable?
2. Is it required to replace the repeater lamp? It works well now. The body shop guy said 2022 model 3 has Part has related component that cannot be reused/reinstalled;
3. To do color blend with front door, does it require to reinstall belt, mirror, handle and trim panel? Seems too many stuffs for me.
4. Is there any other parts that I can negotiate?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

View attachment 826302
Looks reasonable. To blend correctly, it’s best to remove the mirror and door trim, as you don’t want that to get over spray and easier to buff out after blending without those parts on. The repeater lamp and front emblem are standard, as most body shops like to start from new in case they break coming off, and have to increase your bill/estimate. Only $150ish more.

Upvote 0