Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this just road debris, or a bit of the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Returned home after a long journey. Noticed an intermittent "squeak" that seemed to be coming from the driver's side of the car. Been driving for a couple of days and the squeak keeps appearing, every now and then. This morning I noticed what seems to be a bit of metal (roughly rectangular cross-section) on the lower part of the body, just behind the drivers side front wheel. (As in the photo, just below the gap between the door hinge. Car does need a wash.)

Tried removing it, but it doesn't seem to want to budge. I am now wondering if somehow this is part of the metal frame/structure of the car that has somehow managed to come through the plastic panel.

Am I being silly? Is it just debris and I'm just not using enough force to remove it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
IMG_7777.jpg
:confused:

Wow! Is that actually embedded in the panel?
I have tried pushing it to the side with my thumb and it is having none of it, so it seems to have gone through the panel. (I think the bottom panel is plastic?)

What I am trying to work out is if it came from outside, i.e. something flying up from the road, somehow, and embedding itself...

or

is it part of the car's structure that has worn its way through from the inside somehow. I haven't taken a pair of pliers to it yet and given it a pull.
IMG_7778.jpg

And thanks all!

Turns out it really was just a small rectangular neodymium magnet. Absolutely no idea how it ended off on my car...

Happy and only a little confused. :)
Motorcyclists sometimes put a magnet on the end of the bike's oil filter cover (it's supposed to attract any metal debris so they don't go back into the engine). It could have come off at some point and then you conveniently drove past.