Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal when you order your MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post here and I must begin by saying thank you to everybody who has posted here... very helpful!

I wanted to ask the community if my experience of the ordering process is normal. I placed my order on August 14. The My Tesla page rightly started showing the order status as
Order Pending: "Your Model S will be confirmed on August 21, 2015. Once confirmed, we'll begin sourcing parts and building your Model S."
I have read on these forums and (I believe) while ordering that I could make changes during the first week for free. So, I made all my changes throughout the week. At midnight on August 21, the My Tesla page changed to the following:
Order Pending: "Your Model S will be confirmed on August 28, 2015. Once confirmed, we'll begin sourcing parts and building your Model S."

It simply pushed the order confirmation by a week instead of confirming my order. I have read plenty of posts on these forums where people got their orders confirmed within a week. So, I asked my DS. He says you can make any and all changes during the first week for free but during the second week, you are charged $500 but are still allowed to make changes. After August 28 (in my case) I won't be able to make any changes at all.

Is this new or am I completely ignorant? Is my DS wrong or is he simply giving me 'some explanation' so I won't annoy him for a week? I asked him if there was a way to short cut the process because I was done making changes... not the best words I agree. I should have asked whether there was a way to manually confirm the order and move the process forward. In response he simply said there were many cars waiting to be built ahead of mine and they couldn't short cut the process for me, at which point I knew he had misunderstood my question and decided to stop the email chain.

My car was confirmed 8 days after ordering, on August 16th (not 7 as originally expected). But it was very explicit that your car should be confirmed 1 week after ordering, not 2.

I strongly believe something is happening (like they are getting slammed with orders), because my DS didn't even contact me until August 19th, 11 days after placing my order. He also hasn't gotten back to me with the trade-in questions (note: I'm not complaining, it's only been 2 business days since then, but I think normally the info would have been sent out the same day), so I think they are experiencing something affecting their normal wait times.

Oh, I also had a problem today where I was trying to fill out some info on the My Tesla page, and it just kept spinning (the form wasn't submitting correctly). I finally got it to succeed later, so that's probably unrelated.

Sounds like they pushed it as others have said. Maybe they are actually about to start building some Model X's. On a practical basis it's probably better for them to push the confirmation date rather than lock the order and have you sit endlessly in the production queue. This way you can make changes free of charge - might come in handy if some new, cool feature is released.

- - - Updated - - -

I confirmed my order straight away instead of waiting a week because I was happy with my design. I did not know that you could change it after for $500?

On this, I believe it depends on where in the build process you are. If they can make the change, they will for the fee. Otherwise you are out of luck and need to forfeit the deposit. This happened to me with the P85D to P90D change and I elected to just stick with the build and hope for the upgrade.

I've purchased two Model Ss, first was Aug 2013 and then I think I ordered the second in April, picked up in June this year. In both cases the wait for confirming was 1 week, but in 2013 I could speed it up by confirming, after which there were supposed to be no changes. But this year I don't think I had the option to confirm early and had to wait the week. But it definitely wasn't two weeks!

In the first case I did make a change after pressing confirm - they let me add cyclone wheels without charging me the change fee.

I agree with the guess above - I bet its related to the Model X ramp up.

Could you please let us know what happens on 25th on your order?

pkz0125 - I just received an email from Tesla that said my order will automatically be confirmed today 8/25. If I make changes after today it will be $500 extra. It says "pending" on mytesla now but I'll let you know when it changes.

update: Just got a call from my assigned Delvery Specialst to confirm my order in detail.

Last edited:
Ya, crazy times at the Fremont factory. They are ramping up Model X production, at the same time trying to meet Model S production targets. They did downplay this quarter's unit production from 55k to 50k. But I thinks that was to give them a little wiggle room. I picked my P85+ last year on Sept. 30th. At first it was November, then October. In mid-September they were very motivated to deliver it by the end of September. Sept 30th at the factory was mayhem. Although a great delivery experience.

I kind of had the opposite experience. I ordered mine on Sunday 8/16 and was told it would confirm in a week. I was specifically told I could not confirm it early like they used to do. I was playing with the configuration throughout the week until on Friday the 21st it confirmed. Problem was that I had just changed the color to something that I didn't want, but left it thinking I would make all my final choices on Saturday. My contact at the store contacted HQ and they said the early confirmation was the result of a glitch related to the referral code I gave them. They worked it out so I could change the color back to what I wanted with no charge for changing, but they had to do it on their end as the My Tesla remained confirmed.

I kind of had the opposite experience. I ordered mine on Sunday 8/16 and was told it would confirm in a week. I was specifically told I could not confirm it early like they used to do. I was playing with the configuration throughout the week until on Friday the 21st it confirmed. Problem was that I had just changed the color to something that I didn't want, but left it thinking I would make all my final choices on Saturday. My contact at the store contacted HQ and they said the early confirmation was the result of a glitch related to the referral code I gave them. They worked it out so I could change the color back to what I wanted with no charge for changing, but they had to do it on their end as the My Tesla remained confirmed.

I used a referral link too and got delayed. Fortunately, I was able to talk to my DS today and explained to him the situation. He contacted HQ and got the order confirmed today.