Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Windshield Harder to Make Streak-Free Than Others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, but are you talking inside or outside of the windshield, cause streaking is usually an inside issue. Is it harder to clean? No, but it's harder to reach all the way down to the front of the dash. Remember, it's a big windshield, so, more effort to clean the whole thing.

Reactions: house9
Interesting that my experience differs from that of many of you. Maybe I'm not remembering my other windshields accurately.

I'm talking about the exterior.

Yes, I've tried InvisibleGlass, but didn't see an improvement over Windex. I'll try it again.

I've also used RainX (and applied it according to the directions). Here's what I don't like about it:

1. Because the raindrops get blown up the windshield between wiper strokes, it's distracting.
2. The drops tend to ride on the wipers and get thrown back onto the windshield on the return strokes
3. There seems to be a haze following a stroke that RainX causes.​

I'll do some more experimenting.

If there is some factory residue or contamination you need to get the windshield truly clean. This involves using clay bar and possibly a glass polish. Then use a sealant specifically designed for glass and stop gunking up the windshield with RainX.

Interesting that my experience differs from that of many of you. Maybe I'm not remembering my other windshields accurately.

I'm talking about the exterior.

Yes, I've tried InvisibleGlass, but didn't see an improvement over Windex. I'll try it again.

I've also used RainX (and applied it according to the directions). Here's what I don't like about it:

1. Because the raindrops get blown up the windshield between wiper strokes, it's distracting.
2. The drops tend to ride on the wipers and get thrown back onto the windshield on the return strokes
3. There seems to be a haze following a stroke that RainX causes.​

I'll do some more experimenting.

I'd recommend cleaning again with a good solvent (an auto APC is fine) to try and remove any remaining rain-X. But really what you need to do is get a bucket of soapy water, a piece of detailing clay (or clay mitt), and thoroughly clay your glass. Get all contamination off of it. Then, try again with a traditional glass cleaner and no lint microfiber, newspaper, or other drying medium.

I did claybar it the other day. Did invisible glass today, double app and buff. When the sun hit it, it was okay except at the edges, where there were streaks.

It's not bad, but IIRC, simple, unenthusiastic Windex cleaning was sufficient with other cars.

Not complaining, just curious.

Just wanted to add to what was written earlier:

Careful not to touch the Dash with what ever you using to clean the inside the window. Saw a video on this issue which said there is oil residue on the Dash.

Love using the "Invisible Glass" (Ammonia Free) on the wind shield. Some times also use a "Sprayway Glass Cleaner" (Ammonia Free Streak Free Foam) when the "Invisible Glass" does not cut it.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I did claybar it the other day. Did invisible glass today, double app and buff. When the sun hit it, it was okay except at the edges, where there were streaks.

It's not bad, but IIRC, simple, unenthusiastic Windex cleaning was sufficient with other cars.

Not complaining, just curious.

I'd double check your towels -- depending on how you wash them you might be starting off with with a "clean" towel that actually still has some residue in it. For instance, don't use liquid fabric softener or dryer sheets. Also, consider using a microfiber specific cleaner or at least a dye/perfume free detergent. You can also add some white vinegar in the mix to help get things real clean.

Final step is to consider a very light polish of your windshield. But, this can be a big PITA and it doesn't appear like that is your issue. Really think about trying a different type or set of towels.

It seems to me that it takes more effort to clean the windshield until it's streak-free than for other cars. That is, with other cars: Windex, wipe, wipe with dry cloth, done. On my M3, more cycles and effort is required.

Are you finding that as well?
There's your first problem: windex. DO NOT USE WINDEX. For 20+ years I have had great luck with invisible glass and sprayway. Use window specific cloths and you should get great results.

I'm not asking for advice on how to clean the windshield.

It seems to me that it takes more effort to clean the windshield until it's streak-free than for other cars. That is, with other cars: Windex, wipe, wipe with dry cloth, done. On my M3, more cycles and effort is required.

Are you finding that as well?

No. even though you're not looking for advice the best way to do this is to use a scrubber/squeegee with whatever brand of window cleaner you use, then do a quick cleaning with that same cleaner and a glass towel. Takes 60 seconds and you'll never have a streak on the window. I do it on every car because the windshield is what picks up all the road grime, nothing different from a Tesla to a Ford.

The scrubber on the squeegee can capture more rough grime and oil than a towel can, that's why you use it first.

I get really bad streaking when the windshield is wet, it drives me nuts. I live in a place where it rains 180 days of the year. Even with new wipers I get awful streaking on the exterior of the glass which fools the AP camera based auto wipers into thinking a sprinkle is a downpour, which puts the wipers on max mode and makes it 10x worse.